Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30098 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2023, 04:42:57 pm »

12.6 TowerEnded 1106 & 1107
(Ral WheelStakes, mayor of TowerEnded between 1106 and 1108)

We need a new mayor. The current one, Kel, has proven herself a vainglorious incompetent, and it’s obvious this fort will not put up with this. Come summer, we’ll run a new election, and I’ll throw my proverbial cap in the ring. She already annoyed most of the fort by issuing an export ban after said exports have already happened, but this spring she’s really crossed the line.

After Kivish MineCaught was killed by Maga DeepSubtle, the position of broker was left unoccupied. So in Obsidian, we asked who’d be interested in taking it up. And Kel insisted she can do it, and that she’s the best choice. We believed her, and gave her the job… and then we found out she can't even appraise the value of objects.

Not that she’s bad at it, she’s completely incapable of doing so. It’s a good thing we caught this idiocy before the caravan arrived; we do not want to embarrass ourselves before the world’s premier gossip mongers.

1106.05.17 Kel has stopped being mayor. This I expected. What I didn’t expect is that I was elected in her place. I promptly (mis)use my authority to forbid the export of rings; it doesn’t serve the fort, but after the previous mayor’s screw-ups standards are lax, and the general opinion is that nobody could possibly screw up any worse. This is the perfect time to feather my nest, so to speak.

But it’s not all selfishness, theft, and grift. This year, we’re digging out adamantine. There’s a spire relatively close to the smithy; I’m giving miners the task to get some raw adamantine out of it without annihilating the entire fort. They start digging from the roof of the third cavern downwards, and judging by the shape of the spire, we should have at least 4 levels that are safe.

This first adamantine is earmarked for weapons. The axe-dwarves already have some legendary members, and more will doubtlessly follow; they deserve better than copper axes. Plus, the swords-dwarves and spear-dwarves have been training tirelessly, and are advancing quickly. It might be that they'll be legendary too by the time adamantine is fully processed.

1107.08.26 A Giantess has been sighted above ground, off to the South. She’s currently chasing badgers, but soon she’ll find the fort. The well-learned among us tentatively identify her as Stratab Climaxhale the Impervious Sports, a creature that mostly preyed upon humans off to the south-east, in the other end of the world.

Crossbow-dwarves and the first axes are sent to intercept; they choose to place themselves before the caravan, which hasn’t left yet. The Giantess has arrived just as the month turned, and it is indeed Stratab; her scars are unmistakable. What she’s doing so far from her usual haunts is a mystery that may never be answered; she’s killed immediately, in sight of the leaving caravan.

She has three artifacts in her possession: a dwarf bone totem named CharcoalSteel, a toy hammer made of pipe opal named BrazenGlosses the Diamond Treason, and finally an actual weapon: a legendary copper maul named The Mythical Continent.

These treasures remind me of all the abandoned sites that house other treasures and artifacts; we should go grab them. So the army is split: the first axes will stay in the fort to deal with the unexpected, but the other five squads will be sent out, to our abandoned neighbors.

To our south, the fortress of ScarredGlazes was visited by our two least-trained squads, and emptied entirely. There are only 3 rumored treasures that we haven’t found; they might not be there anymore.

The dark pits of BoilCurses are very close to ScarredGlazes, and completely uninhabited. 10 books have been retrieved from it, 2 have been left where they lay.

To the west of TowerEnded, lies a cluster of 5 abandoned sites. The cave of FortuneShaft has been scouted, and nothing was found in it. It’s supposed to be inhabited by an ettin, Bem GlistenedAbbey, but there was no trace of him There’s also no trace of the many treasures that creature stole over the years.

Next to it, the Monastery of BowTorment was rumored to have books and even adamantine weapons, but it was emptied out three decades ago by the adventurer Sarvesh PaintFist the Diminished Virtues. We didn’t visit it this time.

The Dark Pits of SeedSeduced are empty; all we found were two untitled and unimportant letters, both written by some goblins.

That’s the raiding for this year; we could still check the Dark Pits of PackedBad, and the fortress of WindLure. But these two are supposed to be wealthy, so it’s wise to expect opposition. We’ll visit them some other time.

While the army was raiding, the fort had not been idle. The central pillar in the second cave is large enough for a sizable catacomb; miners have dug it out already, and caskets and coffins are now being carved out of wood and stone.

In the third cavern, we’ll finally get some use out of the lakes: a reservoir is going to take water from the lake, and feed this fort’s only well. Next to it, a hospital will be built in due time. Considering the lack of wounded so far, it’s perhaps not a high priority.

We’ve all agreed to breach the second cavern; the noises of dying creatures are driving us mad.

Preparations are complete: the army was equipped with adamantine axes, swords, and spears, the catacombs are excavated and have some coffins already placed, and the well in the cavern is already in use.

1107.03.11 The hatch has been opened!

Spos has been killed, without any dwarven deaths. Due to the way dwarves were arranged, it couldn’t catch all of them in webs, and the still-mobile dwarves quickly dealt a killing blow. The adamantine axe which struck the killer blow has been named CultBanner.

As it’s become our habit, the Forgotten Beast has been butchered:

The cavern floor is covered in decayed corpses, and spider webs. Were we of a softer constitution, this sight would terrify us.

First thing’s first: the little column is far too small for our needs, so we wall up portions of the cavern to expand the safe space available to us. This space is then occupied by looms, the entire fort is ‘drafted’ as weavers, and a massive silk gathering operation is underway:

While this is going on, the rest of the fort has not stopped existing. After Usek PlayIvory stole the Onslaught of Fogs, we’ve made a policy of interrogating every new arrival. One goblin gave us more than we bargained for: turns out the goblin beast hunter “Kivish SilveryStone” is actually Ngokang BluntHells, an experienced goblin thief. He was planning to steal SpiteSquids, a legendary copper axe looted from Scarredglazes. He was soundly beaten, but after a month he just picked up SpiteSquids and left.

We.. may need more permanent solutions to the problem of thieves.

1107.06.07 Another Forgotten Beast arrived, and promptly engaged ‘previous resident’ Nazom in combat. A gigantic scaly bristleworm, it has thin wings of stretched skin and emits gas; presumably poisonous, as it kills Nazom rather quickly. Scholars are quite certain it’s never been seen before, and they give it the name Icithi the Larval Bones.

1107.06.18 This time the second cavern receives a visitor: Ab ProfaneLie the Mysterious is much better known to us, having raided the center of the world since the 400s.

We call the alarm, and empty the cavern. The military is called in: axe-dwarves, hammer-dwarves and crossbows, given the thing can fly. Once again, we shouldn’t have worried: a spear-dwarfette shattered the beast by striking it with her shield. It left behind a pile of salt and its unnatural wings.

1107.07.08 Some Forgotten Beasts come pre-killed: Megob Moldspiders the Hellish was likely struck down by Spos, somewhere in late 1104 by the state of the corpse. This creature plagued the center of the world between 73 and 500, rampaging many times through ScaldedBridged and MazeIrons. Our fellow dwarves from the Lauded Merchant will be glad to hear of its demise.

It’s about time we shut down cavern operations; the caravan will arrive soon.

1107.07.15 The caravan arrives, as it usually does. While trade is underway, I talk (and gossip) with the outpost liaison. In particular, I ask about a certain hamster man, and where his ‘unknown’ master, the human mummy Rafeb LunchesDents, might hide himself.

They’re expected to be in the tomb of InchedFence, about three days’ travel from us:

No rumors place the lost Onslaught of Fogs in this tomb, but we still suspect it’s there. The army will pay them a visit, once the second cave is secured.

After this, I’ve been informed Akon StandardBaited the Lord of Dogs has arrived in the now-empty second cavern. It started killing the wildlife, as they do, so it’s inevitable we’ll have to confront it eventually; but not now. We have gathered a spectacular amount of corpses from the cave, in addition to all the silk thread, and we’ll be busy for months processing our gains.

1107.11.04 A second beast joins Akon in cave 2; this enormous graphite dimetrodon doesn’t match any records. It kills Akon after a protracted struggle, and we name it Usu DieTombs. It won’t stick around for long: on the 25th, it was struck down by a manera of all things.

1107.11.11 A mere week later, the first cave receives a Forgotten Beast: Ebra Minewasted the Guts of Night. Another migrant from the center of the world, it has nothing to kill and is simply loitering around.

As for us? We’re making ourselves new clothes, from the stockpiled plant thread, and newly-acquired silk. We have neglected civilian clothing, and the situation is critical.

In TowerEnded, silk industry go brrrrr.

This fort has a truly rediculous number of Forgotten Beasts. Chill, dude. And: can we appreciate the hilarity of a cat jumping in to attack a forgotten Beast?

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2023, 03:44:16 am »

This fort is like a magnet for forgotten beasts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2023, 01:00:22 pm »

I never like digging too deep myself.  Vampires and weres are bad enough.  But trying to secure the caves and make sure nothing gets into my settlements is always such a pain. >:(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2023, 03:55:04 pm »

The save is here, with the date of 1113 1112.03.13; it's gotten at ~200 MB while zipped. I still have 1, possibly 2, write-ups to do; not sure when they'll come, as my schedule is going to be hectic for the next few days at least. Can't wait to get to them, though, because I get to pick up one of the story hooks I laid at the very start and had given up on ever reconnecting to the main storyline.

Also, for the first time in my life, I'm going to retcon something I wrote: the last half year I posted will get some revisions. TowerEnded got itself a new mayor in the summer of 1107, and I completely missed it the first time around. Normally I'd gloss over it, but this time it can be made to reflect/impact the narrative. So retcon it is.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:24:31 pm by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2023, 04:23:45 pm »

Also, for the first time in my life, I'm going to retcon something I wrote: the last half year I posted will get some revisions. TowerEnded got itself a new mayor in the summer of 1107, and I completely missed it the first time around. Normally I'd gloss over it, but this time it can be made to reflect/impact the narrative. So retcon it is.

Look forward to the last few chapters.  I will tell Bob he is up!

Also noticed that it looks like Grognak MAY have been promoted. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cool.  Snow White hasn't done anything.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:56:35 pm by callisto8413 »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2023, 05:16:29 pm »

Downloaded the save. I'll get started within the next couple days.

(Also, open for suggestions/ideas what to try out.)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2023, 05:16:51 pm »

wonder how Sarvesh is
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2023, 05:33:09 pm »

(Also, open for suggestions/ideas what to try out.)

I am not sure if this is a suggestion or an idea but I am very interested in what is happening to the goblins.   Maybe a goblin character to search on what is happening to your people?   That's kind of a Hero/Cleaner character.  Otherwise there will be a New Age soon.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2023, 06:56:20 pm »

The save is here, with the date of 1113.03.13; it's gotten at ~200 MB while zipped. I still have 1, possibly 2, write-ups to do; not sure when they'll come, as my schedule is going to be hectic for the next few days at least. Can't wait to get to them, though, because I get to pick up one of the story hooks I laid at the very start and had given up on ever reconnecting to the main storyline.

nicely done! your posts were super thorough added a lot to the worldbuilding done so far. and I'm surprised you've never retconned before - so much detail inevitably leads to confusion or re-writes.

looking forward to your turn Brewer! Welcome to the desert.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2023, 10:24:21 am »

I have been told by brewer bob that he wishes pass on his turn.  Just not in the mood to write.  Or the ducks got him.

So I will be alerting well, you Salmeuk. 

Oh, and StrikaAmaru, keeping posting your stories I will add them to the first page in proper order.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 02, 2023, 02:23:51 pm »

So, a small note: a week ago, when I posted the save, I dun goofed and said the year was 1113. It's not. It's 1112. Oops.

There will be multiple write-ups, like I suspected; there's just too much to cover between 1107 and 1112. Plus, I think I should keep my posts a little smaller, because they're easier to read. That's something else I keep not doing.

12.7 TowerEnded 1107-1108

1107 (Summer Redone)

1107.07.15 The caravan arrives, as it usually does. While trade is underway, I talk (and gossip) with the outpost liaison. In particular, I ask about a certain hamster man, and where his ‘unknown’ master, the human mummy Rafeb LunchesDents, might hide himself.

They’re expected to be in the tomb of InchedFence, about three days’ travel from us:

No rumors place the lost Onslaught of Fogs in this tomb, but we still suspect it’s there. The army will pay them a visit, once the second cave is secured.

1107.07.17 Well damn. My plans of violence and retribution have been dashed; as of today, I am no longer mayor. The customary vote has chosen madam Nil TautCanyon; she is the wife of our broker, and mother to three children living in the fort. She is, in truth, one of the reasons why our thread and cloth industry has received so much attention: she has been complaining ceaselessly about the state of clothing.

Given her election, it would appear a majority of the fort approves; perhaps I’ve been overly focused on strategy. I can only accept my defeat with grace… and carry on with the fort’s military matters, while Nil handles more domestic aspects. This may yet work out to everyone’s benefit.

1107.09.10 I’ve been informed Akon StandardBaited the Lord of Dogs has arrived in the now-empty second cavern. It started killing the wildlife, as they do, so it’s inevitable we’ll have to confront it eventually; but not now. We have gathered a spectacular amount of corpses from the cave, in addition to all the silk thread, and we’ll be busy for months processing our gains.

1107.11.04 A second beast joins Akon in cave 2; this enormous graphite dimetrodon doesn’t match any records. It kills Akon after a protracted struggle, and we name it Usu DieTombs. It doesn’t stick around for long: on the 25th, it was struck down by a manera of all things.

1107.11.11 A mere week later, the first cave receives a Forgotten Beast: Ebra MineWasted the Guts of Night. Another migrant from the center of the world, Ebra is well known to us, as it’s been rampaging regularly through the lands directly south of our own ancestral lands. In TowerEnded, it has nothing to kill and is simply loitering around.

We may have a serious problem on our hands…

After the Onslaught of Fog was stolen by a certain undead hamster man, the fort established a standing policy that every visitor is to be interrogated. Most of these are duds, especially among the scholars who sincerely arrive here only for study; we’ve amassed a sizable library, after exploring every abandoned fort, cave, monastery and pit around us.

But once in a while, we find ourselves faced with a criminal, who, after a few flattering remarks, cheerily confesses to their crimes. Not all of them can be pursued further; it’s common to learn of things which happened centuries ago, in distant lands. But once in a while, we’re blessed with a fool who’ll not hesitate to brag about crimes committed in TowerEnded. One of these prideful idiots is the goblin “Kivish SilveryStone”... or should we call him Ngokang BluntHells?

This green-skinned villain is already responsible for the corruption of Hammerdwarf GladWorks, and the theft of SpiteSquids, a legendary copper axe retrieved from ScarredGlazes. Since SpiteSquids was loot to begin with, we weren’t all that invested in it… but.

Ngokang returned last year, in early autumn, this time claiming to be the goblin “Besmar FlagRouts”, and planning to steal another ancient and storied artifact: the cave spider silk cap LinedFinder the Pristine Dreamy Conqueror. Our wonderful Captain of the Guard has plied him with drink and flattery, and once again got the goblin to spill all his secrets. To my shame, I hadn’t noticed; I was preoccupied with losing my mayoral position, and this report has slipped by me.

That is how we’ve learned of where SpiteSquids was taken: to FrayMaligned, the citadel of the Disloyalties of Soot, and Bosa DoomHood, Ngokang’s master. The Dishonesties of Soot have already attacked our own Mountainhome, as well as a smattering of other possessions; if they now also come to spy and rob TowerEnded, we are practically obligated to retaliate.

The Dark Fortress of FrayMaligned is now the last remaining citadel of the Dishonesties of Soot. Their many wars have turned the world against them, and their ancestral cluster of forts and pits has been gradually lost; mostly to a human civilization known as The Group of Waving, but also to a group of kobolds, of all things.

TowerEnded was explicitly set up to bring down a tower; I suppose it was overly-naive of us to assume we can fight our enemies one at a time.

Unfortunately, no attack will happen any time soon; the fort is still busy with gathering silk from the second cave. The bounty of corpses is being ignored for the time being, until we can afford to trample over any remaining silk patches. Then we’ll also begin raising walls, and fully secure the cavern; likely somewhere around summer. I cannot disagree with that, considering just how many ancient beasts come to our fortress.

1108.04.27 Speaking of Forgotten Beasts, an enormous fire-breathing beakless martin was seen in the first cavern. Once again, we have no record of any beast resembling it, and we have named it Avuz, after a foreign god of mountains and caverns. It quickly began fighting Ebra Minewasted the Guts of Night, the previous resident of the cavern.

1108.05.02 After a long battle, Avuz has killed Ebra; it’s a great relief to mark its death in our books.

1108.06.10 Tolon NoblePrinces the Grand arrived in the third cavern lake, in the same place where Maga has breached the supposedly safe zone and killed 4 people. Tolon seems content to wander aimlessly through the lake, but then again so did Maga, at first. We watch it carefully.

1108.07.03 Not careful enough; we take our eyes away from the beast for a few minutes only, and it’s suddenly inside the well area. It engages and kills a dwarf named Onol TiredRings, father to four children in the fort. His wife is our esteemed captain of the guard, Risen ClaspCat, who ferreted out many secrets from many infiltrators.

We’re still baffled about how it could have possibly entered. The well itself is out of the question, because it’s separated from the lake by a fortification; this is hardly the first cavern well we’ve built in our history.

The closest to an entry we can find is a diagonal nook above the wall; it has a wall built under it, so it really should be properly sealed. It shouldn’t be accessible at all, never mind allow the passage of a Forgotten Beast. But, given the speed of Tolon’s entry, we have no other explanation. We build a wall on top of the offending tile, and hope that’s the end of it.

1108.08.03 Nglush GallEchoes the Canker of Night, a fire-breathing one-eyed capybara, arrives on the other side of the third cavern, in the little trap between walls that we’ve already proven to be impassable. This is a rare beast, having been documented only 4 times before; if it weren’t for the extreme danger of its fire-breath, we may not even have known about it. Nglush very quickly kills the local ‘champion’, Ithici, once again proving its lethality.

1108.11.01 Nglush scores another kill -- FrothyDeeps the Larva of Filths, a beast that used to rampage through the north-eastern side of the Desert of Equaling. Our fellow dwarves from the Boats of Humility will be glad to learn of its demise.

1108.11.20 Not a beast, for once, but a fey mood: Medtob SideWhips, our already-legendary weaponsmith, has been possessed by unknown forces; it claims to want bars, but those it has available don’t appear suitable. It’s very likely it desires adamantine, and nothing else will do.

For others, that could be a problem; using adamantine requires the mayor’s approval, what with being a strategic reserve. But Medtob will certainly receive access; it’s already a weaponsmith, and is known to like short swords. A certain door is unlocked, and Medtob comes rushing in:

And we are… disappointed feels like a wrong word to use for an artifact, but we must use it regardless. Instead of the expected artifact adamantine short sword, we receive… an anvil.

Still, there’s no arguing with unknowable forces of inspiration and madness. We’ve decided to use the artifact in one of the older smithies, in place of an iron anvil. At least the smiths will enjoy the sight of it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:36:24 pm by StrikaAmaru »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2023, 06:05:34 pm »

You're going to kill all the Forgotten Beasts.  Save some for the rest of us.   

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2023, 01:45:54 am »

Hey, if they come, I'm going to kill them /jk

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure how to handle the Forgotten Beasts. We readers, viewing the fort from the Doylistic perspective, don't particularly care that some giant slavering whatever has arrived in the third cavern and died to another whatever. But from a Watsonian perspective, dwarves would very much care about the horrors in their basement -- to the point where I'm role-playing dwarven education as including the memorization of all known FBs. So I've always felt that I can't just ignore their existence, even if it distracts from the story.

It belatedly occurs to me I could have set up a sort of "Beast Master's Log" to document all the Beasts, and left the main narrative to mention them only when they actively interact with the Fort; i.e. killing 4 people in a stairway. I'm going to try this from now on.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 03, 2023, 03:54:18 am »

Nglush GallEchoes the Canker of Night, a fire-breathing one-eyed capybara

Nglush also happens to moonlight as the final boss of Waterlures

An adamantine anvil? I dunno that is just about as dwarfy as these things get. Also... Light enough a child could carry it! Portable! Yours now for $19.95!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2023, 03:34:24 pm »

12.8 TowerEnded 1109

With everyone clothed and the fortress more-or-less in order, the squad commanders have petitioned the mayor to resume military operations; I’m relieved that I’m not the only one beating on this particular drum.

The tower of SavageSculpted, will, for once, be attacked by us. Despite the two attacks it launched upon us, it still claims to be ‘at peace’ with TowerEnded. It’s about time we return some of that peace, right back at it. We’ll keep the First Axes, our most experienced troops, to guard the fort, but the other 5 squads will be sent out.

The Second Axes, Crossbows, and Spears will go to raze the tower; meanwhile, our least-experienced troops, the Swords and Hammers, will be sent against the cavern of MiredCracked. This den of kobolds has been robbing everyone and everything for centuries, and we are finally fed up with it.

While the military travels, the fort carries on. An interrogation report has come by my desk; it’s notable because it doesn't have an undead plotting against us. Wonder of wonders.

If I’m being paranoid about it, I suppose the report could be regarded as suspect: the undead in question, Urdim RingLabor, has been a captain of the guard himself, when he was still living. It’s not impossible that he may have enough knowledge to deceive our own captain. For now, we’ll presume he is innocent, and merely watch over him.

All troops have returned by the end of Granite. The tower of SavageSculpted doesn’t fall, despite its many losses. Pestrat himself has been killed by Shorast BaldCopper, commander of the Spear squad, but the Tower itself perseveres.

Half this fort's reason for existing has been achieved, and it seems just so... anticlimactic.

MiredCracked falls entirely; our 20 half-trained soldiers face off against 86 kobolds, and wipe them out completely.

The two treasures rumored to have been stored in the cave have been retrieved: The Wheel of Fortune, a tsavorite scepter, and SellFortune, a dwarf skull totem. Both were created centuries ago in ScarredGlazes, and SellFortune was made by a goblin -- hence the grizzly choice of material. Troops couldn’t capture any of the giant cave spiders that the kobolds had tamed; they were trained as war beasts, and had to be killed.

It’s now time to rest, heal wounds, and upgrade gear, if needed. Once summer comes around, we’ll either be attacked, or we’ll attack in turn.

1109.02.12 LessenedSkirted, an artifact brown zircon crafted here in 1104, is now missing from TowerEnded! A swift bout of interrogations finds the culprit: Oddom ConfineDagger. He arrived mere days ago, which is why there wasn’t an existing interrogation.

The treasure isn’t in his possession, and he didn’t implicate any citizen. We can still condemn him for espionage, but his accomplice for the theft remains unknown. Without an established prison, the would-be thief leaves after his beating, and we are left with an unsolved mystery. The perfect brown zircon is somewhere in the fort, but… where?

Summer arrives, and Oddom returns briefly. He doesn’t seem to do any harm, nor take any treasures, and the interrogation has revealed no new information. As far as we can tell, he was merely passing through:

But, back to martial matters. We were not attacked, so we’ll be the ones attacking. While the rest of the fort is preparing to receive the human caravan, the best-trained troops (the marks-dwarves and ax-dwarves) are sent to whittle the Tower’s defenses. They had no surprises: as it was planned, the troops snuck about, killed whichever undead crossed their path, then retreated.

Unless the unexpected happens, we’ll run a full attack upon the Tower at the end of this season, and hopefully raze it from existence.

1109.04.17 Elections have taken place again, and I’m back as mayor! My priority now should be the caravan, but they can wait for a few more days. Instead, I order a jail hastily built in a still-unused suite of rooms originally intended for unexpected nobility:

Then I can deal with the merchants. Afterwards, I’ll take a closer look at our military, and see if they require anything else.

1109.06.01 Troops have rested and resupplied; it’s time to finish off the Tower. With its chief necromancer dead and only undirected mindless undead wandering through it, it should be a soft target; nonetheless, the entire army will be sent on this endeavor.

1109.06.06 The Tower was very far from a soft target: although our troops have nearly annihilated its undead residents, we’ve paid a heavy price for it. Nine dwarves total -- three ax-dwarves, three spear-dwarves, two crossbow-dwarves and one sword-dwarf have left their bones within that cursed place:

1109.07.11 A last attack has finally annihilated the Tower of SavageSculpted. With only 8 undead left in its twisted corridors, we finally had our short victorious war.

1109.07.12 While we’re distracted with raids and still reeling from last month’s losses, Ngokang stole an artifact goblin bone scepter and fled the fortress; and so we lost The Profane Hall. To be frank, I’m not all that sorry about it; only a goblin could appreciate a scepter made from the bones of one of their kin. He is condemned in absentia, and the next time he shows his face in this fort he’ll get beaten and imprisoned.

1109.08.05 Usek PlayIvory, the undead hamster man, has returned to TowerEnded, and was promptly imprisoned for his theft from 1104. He had a pending 8-month sentence, and now it’s being executed.

Winter has come, temperatures are not as oppressively scorching as they usually are, and it’s time for TowerEnded’s army to deal with its other foes.

The Tomb of InchedFence, home of Usek PlayIvory and place of dubious rest for his master Rafeb LunchesDents, will be raided by 32 dwarves; these are the combined numbers of our second axes, marksdwarves, swords, and hammers. With only seven undead humans inhabiting it, it shouldn’t pose much of a problem.

The Dark Fortress FrayMaligned is reported to have a very low population, only 30 or so goblins, but there’s no telling how many trolls, beak dogs, or other creatures are also loitering among the ruined glory of an ancient goblin stronghold. We decide for a probing attack, made by the First Axes and the Spears. Their job is to verify our information, and to remove as many enemies as it is opportune.

This arrangement leaves the fortress undefended, but we gamble we’ll be fine. Or at least, that we can close hatches until the troops return.

1109.11.07 FrayMaligned was reached first; it was an unmitigated disaster. Of the 17 dwarves sent, only one has returned: Eral BronzeFold, a legendary axe-dwarf who didn’t really stand out until now. It’s only thanks to him that we have any idea of what happened: the Fortress was defended by the famed Goblin Lady Smunstu MenaceTempt: 350 years old, and collecting skills like kobolds collect trinkets:

Thanks to her brilliant leadership and warcraft, the First Axes and the Spears have been lost. 12 have been killed, and 4 have been taken prisoner -- two swords-dwarves, and two spear-dwarves, including the respective leaders of these squads.

We have severely underestimated the goblins.

The fort is, understandably, in chaos. I announce the formation of two new axe squads, to be led by two veteran axe-dwarves, presuming they should return well. We are immediately swamped by volunteers, and it will be up to the future squad leaders to whittle them down to 20.

1109.11.09 The attack on Inchedfence has gone much better. All expected 7 humans have been re-killed; Rafeb LunchesDents was struck down by the sword-dwarf Rith Shootgleam. The troops then scoured the tomb, but could not find the Onslaught of Fogs.

With all returned, it’s my grim duty to disband the old squads, and recreate the new ones. The new First Axes still hold the fort’s finest axe-dwarves… all 6 of them, now that 2 have been made into squad leaders. Crossbow-dwarves number 8, after losing two in SavageSculpted. Sword-dwarves number 9, and that’s after re-drafting a married couple who had previously retired to care for their infant child. Hammerers are the one squad to boast full numbers. And lastly, no spear-dwarves remain; there will never be another spear-dwarf squad in TowerEnded. The 20 new recruits are once again sent into the barracks, to train without any other distractions. And now, we wait for spring.

Onget SearchHatchet, legendary ax-dwarf of TowerEnded, made its way through the tomb’s maze-like corridors with care; it would be ridiculous to have lived this long, done this much, and reached this far, only to die in some shoddy human trap. An un-dwarven death.

The seven undead humans inhabiting this tomb have all been slain already, as was one undead kobold they hadn’t known about. The hamster man was the last, and he was rotting (heh) in a cage in TowerEnded. Onget believed the undead should be killed anyway; he knew he wasn’t the only one. It likely wouldn’t happen; killing prisoners was something the undead or the goblins did, not civilized people. But still… perhaps a little accident could be arranged? There’s no need to lose face, but there’s also no need to let an abomination walk free.

But that was for later, when he returned to TowerEnded. Now, they were all scouring the tomb for a lost artifact copper breastplate. None of the corpses had it on them; which made sense, the breastplate was sized for dwarves not humans. In fact, none of the 9 creatures associated with the tomb even had the ability to wear the Onslaught of Fogs; but they still strived to acquire it.

Onget idly wondered: was this simple greed pushing them? Or did they intend to seduce away another dwarf, and the breastplate was a part of their price? There was no way to tell anymore.

The victorious troops had already found two books, but not the Onslaught of Fogs; even if they failed, they would not return entirely empty-handed.

Onget carefully opened a door on the second level of the tomb. It opened into a three-wide corridor, whose walls were lined with pedestals; and on the most distant one, lay a flawless copper breastplate. He had found it. They could all finally leave for home.

Although… should he keep it? He wondered idly while checking the floor for any hidden traps. He already wore a copper breastplate; a masterwork, for sure, but not an artifact. Does a legendary ax-dwarf not deserve legendary armor? Did he not earn it by now?

Onget took the artifact breastplate, and concealed it in his backpack, by his food rations. He doubted he could use it while still in TowerEnded, but there was always another fort.

One day later, the 32 troops that razed InchedFence left back for TowerEnded, believing they had not found the Onslaught of Fog. All, but one.

The Beast Master’s Log:

1109.02.14 An unknown beast arrives in the first cave. A skinless lizard, with three broad horns; it spits out gas that’s sufficiently potent to affect Avuz, so we’re naming it The Tenebrous Poison. Despite its poisonous exhalations, Avuz kills it.

1109.05.03 Another brand-new Beast arrives in TowerEnded, only to swiftly die to its fire-breathing residents. An eyeless hummingbird with indigo feathers and a bulging trunk, we name it Kadol DaggerEcho; it bled to death in the heat of Avuz MurkyGrowled the Fierce’s fires.

1109.05.13 Ten days later, the story repeats in the third cavern: we almost log the Beast as a new one, but we think it may be known: Weri SinfulDemon, who attacked HallCaught once in 110, then was not seen until now, when it arrived to die to Nglush.

1109.07.11 Another beast, same cave, same fate. This one seems to be Aru, a towering hairy butterfly, who rampaged twice through the fort of SquirtedWheel, in 47 and 52, achieved no casualties, and then vanished until now.

1109.09.11 Sofipu Seduceddogs the Loyalty of Echoes was struck down by the forgotten beast Avuz Murkygrowled the Fierce. Sofipu is an ancient enemy of ours (among others), having rampaged since the beginning of the world through our ancestral lands. With its demise, the many dead of ElderTrade are finally avenged.

I’ve glossed over a third theft, because it happened in the same conditions as the other two:

Long story short, Risen ‘Mother 01’ ClaspCat is a thoroughly corrupt dwarfette. Her hubby died last year (1108.07.03), so there’s definitely potential for a story there… single mom, 5 children, one of them a tiny baby, she no longer feels she can afford trouble, and has no issue skimming a little bit off the top for herself and the family she’s now solely responsible for.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28