Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30070 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2023, 01:03:33 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - Following The River

Holmes followed the river for half the day northwards.  Then it turned west and he continued to follow it.

He stopped to make a fire and go to sleep.  Night had come.

The next day he continued to follow the river.  Which had turned northwards again.  Then east.

By noon he found himself on the shores of a lake.  Of course he decided to go along the shore and search for another river to follow.

There were herds of hippos, flocks of ducks, and flowering saguaros.

On the other side of the lake was another river.  And more hippos.

He followed it south.

To another lake.  And some unknown structures!

Of course he had to go take a peek.

It was a Fortress!   Named Urvdiden.  Or Sealpaddled.

He didn’t like this.  Should he enter or retreat?  Boy, he wished he had a dog to flip.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 13, 2023, 12:04:24 pm »

Perhaps Holmes can try to flip himself and see what happens?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 14, 2023, 01:30:54 am »

The only way to find out is to try it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 14, 2023, 02:29:12 am »

The only way to find out is to try it.

Probably something like this:

Holmes grabs Holmes by the neck from the behind with his right hand!
Holmes throws Holmes by the neck with his right hand!
Holmes' upper body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
Holmes' upper body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the left lung!

Holmes slams into an obstacle!
Holmes is having trouble breathing!
Holmes has suffocated.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 14, 2023, 03:33:09 am »

Probably shouldn't grab himself by the heck just in case.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2023, 05:01:17 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - Enter The Fortress?

Homles pondered flipping a coin but decided his bad luck would likely affect the outcome.  So he decided to approach the Fortress and see if he could enter it.

As he tried to find a way in he noticed a goblin.  The Fortress must have been under goblin control.

He greeted them.

They knew where Endtown WAS!  He said goodbye.  He was no longer interested in the Fortress!

He checked his map.

That was a LONG way away.  On the other hand…he didn’t need food or drink.  True, he might be overwhelmed by the undead or wild animals.  But still….it might be worth trying to reach?

And would there be good taverns along the way?  Maybe he needed a walking stick.  Hmmmm….

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 15, 2023, 02:42:28 am »

Now I see why it's called Endtown because it's really at the end of the Earth.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 15, 2023, 11:07:06 am »

hey that's near one of the larger forests in the south. a little bit further east and there are miles and miles of trees underlying one of the desert peaks.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 15, 2023, 12:59:51 pm »

Weird question - how does anybody that far south KNOW about Endtown?   Do NPC characters travel over such long distances?  How does news or information travel in Dwarf Fortress?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 15, 2023, 05:15:47 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - The Great Journey

So Holmes started marching north-northeast.  Mostly.  He realized that he was heading towards the edge of the world.  So if he went a little too far east that was okay.  He could just head north.

And try to stay away from any lakes that could cut off his pathway.  The mountains he started to cross were full of snakes and yaks.

After ten campfires worth of travel he reached Endtown.  After passing the hamlets of Begunswamp and Peltbasins and Skullallied and Feedexits and other hamlets and what looked like a walled city at one point.  A walled city.  But he moved on.  And he had made it.

As he approached it the air felt thick.  It was getting hard to walk towards it.  The dead bodies and trash on the ground didn’t seem inviting.  Or maybe that was just the dumping ground?

He marched on and found what seemed like a library with stuff on the roof.  Maybe the bookcases had interesting information for him?  Could it tell him about Endtown.  What this Endtown?

What would happen next?  Would he found the populace?  Where were they?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 16, 2023, 04:32:49 am »

That's quite the distance to travel I'm surprised he managed to get there that quickly.

Weird question - how does anybody that far south KNOW about Endtown?   Do NPC characters travel over such long distances?  How does news or information travel in Dwarf Fortress?
I to have wondered this and hope someone has the answer.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2023, 04:55:16 am »

It's plausible that they do. If you look at how individual civilizations have holdings, they're usually spread out across the entire map. Found this out when I was looking into Legends mode, planning for Tower Ended.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2023, 09:08:29 am »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - Exploring Endtown

Holmes explored the library.  First he donated the book he had….borrowed.  He no longer needed the Unabridged Punishment.  He placed it in one of the bookcases.

Then he decided to read any books or scrolls he found in the building.

He read an untitled letter by Rigoth Cloisterbreed.   He read an essay called Give Me the Intersex Dwarf by Rigoth Cloisterbreed.  He read the essay called Introduction to Passwraiths by Strodno Tunneledthieves.  He read a 134 page guide titled Never Underestimare Windlure by Mestthos Floortalons.  Also read The Dwarf Questioned by Fath Vinelash.  He read a one page manual titled Meditiations on the Algorithm by Led Toweryelled.   There was also a 59 page manual entitled A Humble Offering to the Phases by Eral Wheelsguises.  Then there was The Human In Theory.  A essay by Pesor Twistlabor.  And more and more and more.

Most of the books or codexs were about other fortresses, the authors themselves, with a few science books and history books mixed in.  Some were good, some were awful, most were so-so.  Many seemed to be copies.  Maybe any books the staff had gotten their hands on had been copied for their inventory?

There was a weird statue in the library.

Holmes decided to see if he could get to the roof.

Yeah, the roof was covered in items.  Why did they put so many items onto the roof of the library?

Outside the library he ran into his first living being.  Kittens!  They ignored him.  Though one did greet his horse with a head bunt.

Then he found the Trading area.  And what looked like a stone stockpile.  Along with outside workshops.

Then he noticed walls.  And a dwarf who seemed to be a tavern keeper.

And the dwarf looked healthy.  Not a undead creature.  He decided to hail the dwarf from a distance.

Turned out the dwarf WASN’T a native.  Holmes said good bye and headed towards what looked like the front door of Endtown.  AS he approached the door he noticed the dwarf, Monom, was hauling a draltha skeleton.  Was he cleaning the fortress or looting?!?!?

When inside he looked around and realized he might be in some kind of tavern.  With displays.  And…a wagon?!?

As he examined the items on the displays he realized he was not alone.

A dwarf who, by his appearance, was some kind of engineer.  Oh, and a chinchilla who knocked him down.  He petted it.

He started talking to the dwarf.  Turned out the dwarf was not a native either. 

And a coffin corpse?!?!  Eh….

Holmes sighed.  Same old same old.

Should he claim the site as his own?  Look for a corpse?  Kidnap the kittens and sell them to butcher shops?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2023, 10:06:24 am »

Kidnap the kittens and sell them to butcher shops?

:o

There was a weird statue in the library.

Ah, yes, I must commemorate that one time a guy de-billed a duck.  That is a worthwhile use of my time as a sculptor. Mmhmm. not weird at all.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2023, 04:42:16 am »

That duck is Ustir and Ustir who is a legendary hero and I will not hear you besmirch that beautiful duck!

Also coffin corpse is a new one, never heard that before.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28