Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread  (Read 4902 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« on: October 19, 2022, 12:21:40 am »

Announcements:

notquitethere wins My Forum Platoon 3!

My Forum Platoon 4 starts December 13th.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:30:24 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 12:22:12 am »

H&H?
A 'Hurt & Heal' is a type of game where you typically take no more than one turn an hour, and perform two actions (Heal or Hurt 2 points, or do 1 point of each) to a list until all but one item is eliminated. In this game your two actions will be troop movements whether creating more, moving them, or attacking with them(or some combination).

Picture Wars?
In a Picture Wars game, you control a pixel art army and move them across a map to conquer land and defeat other armies. It is an informal game where storytelling is prioritized over competitiveness. Here what you can do is standardized to be competitive. Though units may still be customized and standard actions can be embellished with nonstandard flare.

Hub Thread
Platoon is a very fast moving game. We have a proposal system and combining voting and play is a bit hard to keep track all in one place. Please make proposals here from now on. If the patch notes get too long, I'll archive them here. This thread may also be used to discuss and plan Platoon-like games beyond the core installments.

Proposals
Players can propose changes to the game, anything from small tweaks to entire new units or maps! Can be effective immediately. If all surviving players agree then the change happens(give your proposal a nickname for easy reference). The GM has the power to deny a proposal out-of-game and add new features without voting(if the GM presents it as a proposal, then it's subject to a vote like normal; they should, typically, only skip the proposal step for remedial updates or executive compromises to avoid stagnation/complication, or the minimal change necessary to keep themselves invested). If the GM is not in play, they can review new features before making them official. However, temporarily, proposals can pass and be applied to just the current match without needing a GM review...Go nuts!

Stalemates
If the GM feels a match has gone on too long they may add any temporary rules that will bring the match to a close, or call a draw.

Arbitration (Penalties/Reparations)
If an error can't be sufficiently corrected by means outlined in the rules, and resulted in significant advantage or significant disadvantage for any player, then corrective action may be taken in a fair method and by the appropriate person, as outlined below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Player Priority
Due to limited space, if a player with less previous participation expresses interested in joining, allow them to join an open spot before you.

GMing
If you'd like to GM an official sequel (prize chosen in the previous match carries over to yours, no competing session GM at the same time) let us know a week or more before the current one ends.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:57:40 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:22:32 am »

Hall of Fame:

Winners in red.

XX00 Battalion
(MFP Predecessor)
Participants: a1s, King Zultan, Gwolfski, RoseHeart
Start | Replay

Space Platoon
Participants: King Zultan, RoseHeart, a1s, Quarque
Start | Replay

Tomb Platoon
Participants: a1s, RoseHeart, King Zultan, Quarque, notquitethere
Start | Replay

Jungle Platoon
Participants: King Zultan, RoseHeart, notquitethere, Quarque
Start | Replay
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 08:54:08 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 02:05:28 am »

Seems a little early for an OOC thread, also why didn't we just use the OOC thread from the last one I mean it's just a new round for the same game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 02:33:46 am »

Seems a little early for an OOC thread
Well, game drops in 2 days, is it really?

also why didn't we just use the OOC thread from the last one I mean it's just a new round for the same game.
Requested, by Quarque.
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 04:12:30 am »

Must have misread the date seemed further out than that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 04:20:19 am »

Must have misread the date seemed further out than that.
No problem.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 07:01:55 pm »

My Forum platoon III has been posted.
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 03:37:31 am »

So what's to stop cheetah players from out pacing the hippo players?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 04:26:08 am »

So what's to stop cheetah players from out pacing the hippo players?
Good question, and a reasonable concern. Reread Cheetah Mode about what happens if a Hippo Player joins the game.
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 01:18:47 am »

So I take it that means that if there is one hippo mode player it slows down the game for everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 01:21:47 am »

Yup, but that's ok. You're the biggest Hippo fan, I am the biggest Cheetah fan.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 02:34:25 am »

Spoiler: Version 3.0.6.4 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 07:12:41 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 05:26:23 am »

Hey guys, I'm going to make a pretty important Conservative Update, one I am calling:
"Hurt" is an action

This change is not a proposal, but I will wait a day for discussion.

This is to make all 'Once per turn' actions cost 1 action point.

Reason: I think it will be more intuitive. Currently I think players will assume these cost an action anyway, and once people get open beacons giving them more actions, it will mean there's so many conditions for these free actions that armies will feel like they are doing more than they should.

Some examples of what this change will look like(formerly free):

-Walking into a teleporter will cost 1 action, like walking into an empty space.

-Firing a gun, using flamethrower, and whacking with a wrench, will cost 1 action.

The reason I am doing this without a vote is because I feel it is a late game stability issue, and the little bit it slows down the early game will also be good to allow more players to join on an even playing field.

Thoughts?

Edit: I will also allow a unit to attack twice(that is to say, I won't add a clause to prevent it), as I don't see a strong case against it if someone is willing to pay the actions. (maybe for firebats)

Edit2**: I may allow Hippos 4AP and Cheetahs 2 2AP turns based on my thoughts below. Plus beacon AP bonuses possibly giving Cheetahs more turns, and ofc Hippos a bigger one. (Beacons already state no more than 2AP can be spent on a unit.) If so, beacons may go from +1AP to +2AP.

**I won't make all those changes unless they synergize properly, which I'm kind of sensing they might.
I'll see where we're at when I'm adding the rest of the stuff we were already planning.

(thinking out loud:)

Regarding the pacing though, I have already decided. You will be able to play it like FP II, or FP I. Neither will have an advantage, as hourly players may only take 2 half* turns, until all players have posted.

This could be a building block towards hourly players being able to act more than once. The main roadblock was once per turn actions not stacking up evenly with daily players.

*though, after some thought, I think I don't want it to be less than 2 actions per turn, probably. beacons giving more action points opens up the possibilities....

The current (hourly/daily) set up is pretty safe, it makes me happy being disconnected from scheduled turns, but going from there if steps can be taken to both honor daily mode and make hourly mode actually allow more frequent turns, is possible, then that could help more justify them both together. Be less jarring when there is and isn't a daily player present.

So I take it that means that if there is one hippo mode player it slows down the game for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:04:35 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 04:06:35 pm »

Edit: I will also allow a unit to attack twice(that is to say, I won't add a clause to prevent it), as I don't see a strong case against it if someone is willing to pay the actions. (maybe for firebats)

Decided not to do this, yet. Maybe not ever. Shooting 2 bullets makes barriers less useful and shooting fire twice can cover 6 spaces. Maybe these can still be once per turn, while also adding more asymmetry to the asymmetric pacing system. Cheetahs having more turns wont be in the Hurt is an Action update, as I'm still working out the details. I might be close.
Awesome With Autism
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11