Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will vampires be able to kill anyone if there's just a large dormitory?  (Read 724 times)

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm curious about their behaviour overall. Individual bedrooms make for good hunting grounds, but if those are not avaiable, will they not attack anyone? Will they grow desperate for blood and attack in the open someone?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will vampires be able to kill anyone if there's just a large dormitory?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 01:00:46 am »

I’ve tried that, and the answer is yes. I’ve had a vampire kill multiple people with no witnesses despite there always being multiple people in the dormitory.  Of course, I haven’t tried stationing guards in the dormitory (I’ve never set up a functioning fortress guard), o that might be something.  Anyways, the fact that all of my fortresses are in worlds that are young enough for vampires to not have developed any tells has reduced me to using Dwarf Therapist to spot the bastards.  >:(
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:13 am »

Perhaps sleeping dwarfs don't see it?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 03:02:50 pm »

Well, there’s always some kids playing in the dormitory, but they don’t seem to see anything either…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 03:43:31 am »

I'm curious about their behaviour overall. Individual bedrooms make for good hunting grounds, but if those are not avaiable, will they not attack anyone? Will they grow desperate for blood and attack in the open someone?
  I prefer to completely remove vampires from the game before world creation when playing fortress mode... otherwise you spend way too much time trying to solve vampire mysteries as compared to playing the more fun variables of the game.   

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 03:19:38 pm »

I'm the opposite, I'm actually asking because I hope they will. Without vampires, there's really no reason to have a justice system (I think). Unless, you know, purely RP reasons.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 05:48:14 pm »

I prefer to completely remove vampires from the game before world creation when playing fortress mode... otherwise you spend way too much time trying to solve vampire mysteries as compared to playing the more fun variables of the game.   

I so rarely see vampires in my fortress (I think I did have one in my fort last year sometime?) that I don't really see them as an issue. Werebeasts are common, often the first big calamity, but I experience blood-drained dorfs so rarely. I'm playing vanilla, usually worlds between 100-1000 years old. I wonder why you see them all the time and I don't?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 11:01:45 am »

I wish I saw more of them as well.