Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't designate mining anymore. Why?  (Read 447 times)

PolarBair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't designate mining anymore. Why?
« on: October 24, 2022, 07:56:00 pm »

It seems I just somehow mysteriously, inexplicably lost the ability to designate tiles to be mined.

My fortress is in it's 3rd year and things have been going fairly well. Only one death to a giant so far.

Two underground wells, a fully equipped and operational hospital, mead hall and ever one has been kept well fed and clothed.

It was that one death that triggered me to start getting a military squad going and when I went to try to designate an area to be dug out for the barracks I pressed d, like you do, and moved the cursor to one corner of where I want the barracks to be hit enter and then moved the cursor to the other corner.

I can see the first corner flashing like you'd expect and then when I het enter at the second corner the first corner just goes dark almost as if I had accidentally hit x instead of d.

So I looked closer at the pain on the right to be sure d (for mine) was actually what I had active and it was. so I tried again and got the same result.

So I though maybe there's just something about that particular area so I moved to the residential area where I've been carving out all the bedrooms and tried there but d still won't designate anything to be mined.

I have three minors that aren't doing anything else at the time.

I don't get it. I haven't the slightest clue what could cause that.

There's got to be some thing I clicked somewhere that's preventing me from designating anything to be mined but I don't know what it is?

Does anyone know what might cause that?

Edit: New information; I just tried a small two tile selection of a wall that I'd already smoothed out, one tile of which was a rough gem and the other was stone and the rough gem tile actually got designated to be mined while the stone tile didn't.

So it seems something is preventing me from designating stone specifically. I'm still stumped though.

Second Edit: [SOLVED] it was the a key. That was something I had never noticed before but once you hit d if you look down in the bottom of the panel on the right there's something that hitting the a key does. Apparently it cycles between different modes and it was set to only mine ore and gems.

That's the kind of thing nobody mentions in their tutorial videos.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:16:39 pm by PolarBair »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't designate mining anymore. Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:27 pm »

there's a setting in the Designate-Dig menu , for mining ores and gems specifically and mining normally.

PolarBair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't designate mining anymore. Why?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »

Yeah, Thanks for the quick response. I actually just spotted that.