Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 39 | 30+ pages of competitive evolvin'  (Read 21870 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 24 | (3/20) (JOIN!!! OR ELSE!!!)
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2022, 01:55:46 pm »

That raises the question, are these groups like Pinecovy, Roomboo etc genera or families? I understand the specific creations like "Foldable Turnip" as species in the Turnip family/genus.

Pinecovies are the order Pinecovyformes. All come from the same ancestor and have their swim bladders from that source.

Both Turnips are their own genus and families.Both are too distant from one another.

Sludgiboo taxa are... confusing? There has been many gene transfers between the lineages. But I suppose Roomformes is a thing.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 24 | (3/20) (JOIN!!! OR ELSE!!!)
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2022, 02:05:01 pm »

That raises the question, are these groups like Pinecovy, Roomboo etc genera or families? I understand the specific creations like "Foldable Turnip" as species in the Turnip family/genus.

Pinecovies are the order Pinecovyformes. All come from the same ancestor and have their swim bladders from that source.

Both Turnips are their own genus and families.Both are too distant from one another.

Sludgiboo taxa are... confusing? There has been many gene transfers between the lineages. But I suppose Roomformes is a thing.
Generally, best to remember they're slimes. They mostly evolved based on what they eat. (Lot of cross-pollination and stealing ideas from one another, though that time seems to be ending.)

Roomformes and their linage have mostly drifted from their slimy roots to become more plant than animal. Though Glidee still needs some work to make that jump. :bees:

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 24 | (3/20) (LAST CHANCE TO JOIN)
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2022, 08:27:26 pm »

Silent Turnip: Get basic self sufficiency to survive long enough to get a new host if the first is killed.

Hyper flexible Turnip: Gain some more size, for more power and vigor

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 23 | (3/20) (JOIN!!! OR ELSE!!!)
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2022, 03:27:54 pm »

Turn 24

The Events

Power: 36 (NO NOT A MINOR EVENT AGAIN!)
Temperament: 4 (I am shaking and crying rn)

The Actions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The World

The Seamount lashes out in frustration, as the clicks turn incessant and furious. The seafloor shakes, but soon quells as the mysterious force returns to its slumber.

The ecosystem in the Guguli Shallows is on the brink of collapse. If the current trends go on, the predators will start hunting to extinction.

Luresome Stiltnub is extinct.

The Guguli Shallows | Seaweed Meadow Biome | (14/15 species)
Spoiler: Local Species (click to show/hide)

The Çay Uplift | Algea Prairie Biome | (7/7 species)
Spoiler: Local Species (click to show/hide)

I keep miscounting the number of species. So, they are now numbered.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:32:26 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 25 | (3/20) (LAST CHANCE TO JOIN)
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2022, 03:49:30 pm »

Split Dimwit Sazan into two sister species:
A: Improve intelligence! [SS]
B: Also improve intelligence AND send this population to the Çay Uplift to displace something there

Split Bovine Sazan into two sister species:
A: Improve mind, developing emotional processing to give an instinct to protect its young
B: Improve blubber, packing on denser layers to become truly humongous [SS]

Waiting for the extinction cascade in the shallows!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2022, 04:03:40 pm »

Prey grows scarcer. Even as predators grow larger. There is a hunt to be had.

Team X2
Plated Barbesium: Electrical Transfer/Storage in it's shells. When touched they'll give a zap, and the creature generates electricity to allow others in the pack to see them, with the one that shines brightest being the leader. The generation rate isn't much, but they excel at transfer of electricity between the pack. Combined with their recent brain increase, tricking them becomes impossible, the shape of pack members is just too distinct in their sights. [SS Roll]
Plated Barbesium: Improved Jet Attack Tactics. Through the clever use of hunting tactics and hardier/sharpened shell, it's jet attack can break through even the hardiest of shells to the delicate insides. This tactic is more focused on hunting Majoral Turps which have plenty of meat in them. So long as one can manage a clean blow, the rest can follow through and pile on.

Clearly this is a case where there can only be one.

Split Dimwit Sazan into two sister species:
A: Improve intelligence! [SS]
B: Also improve intelligence AND send this population to the Çay Uplift to displace something there

Split Bovine Sazan into two sister species:
A: Improve mind, developing emotional processing to give an instinct to protect its young
B: Improve blubber, packing on denser layers to become truly humongous [SS]

Waiting for the extinction cascade in the shallows!
That's going to be yours if you keep SPLITTING! I hope your migration suffers the bite of the apex hunter.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2022, 04:08:18 pm »

I fully expect to make one of the Pinecovidae extinct, but I think it's probably better for my species overall if something fairly robust is in the Uplift (and before it became Dimwitted, that Sazan was good).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2022, 04:10:11 pm »

I'm still wondering how the Turnip has managed to grow to 50 under the effects of another Apex animal. They are in it's benthic range. Is it's shell just that good or something.

Blimpie has no shot at hunting in the Benthic zone right now.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2022, 12:09:21 am »

I'm still wondering how the Turnip has managed to grow to 50 under the effects of another Apex animal. They are in it's benthic range. Is it's shell just that good or something.

It's the newfound size. Gigantism is the oldest evolutionary trick in the book. Turp is the size of a football right now, catching fish and snails with its long spindly tentacles.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2022, 09:16:21 am »

It's the newfound size. Gigantism is the oldest evolutionary trick in the book. Turp is the size of a football right now, catching fish and snails with its long spindly tentacles.
Well, suppose we're going to trade size for hunting numbers. Humans killed the ice age.(Mammoths)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution: Season 3 | Turn 21 | (3/20) (JOIN ALREADY)
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2022, 04:18:18 pm »

Team LGEM
notquitethere:
1: Split Dimwit Sazan:
    A: Improve brain (SS)
    B: Improve brain and migrate to the Çay Uplift (SS)
2: Split Bovine Sazan:
    A: Parental drive
    B: More blubber (SS)

Team X2
TricMagic:
1: Electric signalling (SS)
2: Better and sharper shell

Team Perfect Predator
Knightwing64:
1: ...
2: ...

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2022, 04:53:07 pm »

Team X2
TricMagic:
1: Electric signalling (SS)
2: Better and sharper shell

I'll point out the signaling is the direct result of a better brain and their eyespots. They can recognize patterns, so they can also recognize what is and isn't, as where as strength and any variation in positions on the shell.

The main thing is Transfer/Storage of the electricity within the shells(With minor generation rate), mostly as a defense. (The fact that means electrical attacks are less effective is the bonus, so long as it's hitting the shell.) The rest of the explanation is just logical inferring over what they already have. As it has been confirmed they can see sea kelp's bioelectricity via another linage. Which means they can see differing strengths. The rest is just pack behavior.

They also transfer it to help recharge pack members. Older ones with plenty of nutrients gen more is the idea. Anything else that rubs against it also gets the shock, but that storage is what makes them able to deal with other animal shocks.(Like the jumper's method of stun.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 04:56:13 pm by TricMagic »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2022, 05:11:03 pm »

Should they both be SS?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2022, 05:20:59 pm »

Should they both be SS?

If you wanna?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2022, 05:30:39 pm »

Nope, too swingy— only the one I marked as [SS] please!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33