Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How steep are the diminishing returns for higher quality items to dwarf mood?  (Read 486 times)

Juxtapoisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ignoring nobles who claim to have special requirements, and ignoring RP reasons, at what point is chasing higher quality not going to help much for making dwarves happy?
Sooner or later you'll be producing mostly master quality clothes, is it going to make dwarves noticeably happier if they were also dyed? Or otherwise decorated? Is there a large mood difference between having the full set of 8 - 10 pieces of clothing, compared to 3 or so required pieces in terms of a dwarf experience high quality items and getting happy thoughts?
If my military has masterwork steel armor, are they going to get anything more mood wise if I also get them non-conflicting masterwork clothes?
In the fullness of time there is enough space to upgrade from my standard bedrooms (3X3, bed, cabinet, coffer, statue) to 10X10 or more. But is there a meaningful effect on mood for the upgrade.

I am trying to balance the difference between giving them what's good and wasting my time.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I’m not aware of any “diminishing returns” with regards to artifacts created as a result of dwarf moods.  In fact, artifacts seem to get a quality modifier of 120 (ten times that of masterwork).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah. the returns diminish quickly, when thinking of giving each of your dwarves "the royal treatment." Each good object a dwarf owns can be admired, and this can generate a good thought. but there is a lot that can go wrong for each dwarf in terms of unmet needs or desires, or injury or insult, and these events are mostly unrelated to their material wealth.

if you are the more practical minded overseer I wouldn't waste your time with masterwork everything, unless you are particularly interested in that kind of playstyle. the benefits are slim imo. the real challenge is giving your dwarves fullfilling lives without micromanaging them.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

As soon as the dwarfs gain a few thoughts from putting on better-than-average clothing and have avoided "clothing rotted off" thoughts, they have enough. At that point, the other needs of the dwarfs become more important. A little bit of mood on all vectors is better than a lot of mood on a few vectors, especially if the no-mood vectors are important to the dwarf.

If my military has masterwork steel armor, are they going to get anything more mood wise if I also get them non-conflicting masterwork clothes?
They will gain mood from non-metal items (bone greaves or  trousers) and no mood from "masterwork" steel greaves. The downside is they will collect clothing for both their military and civilian attire and they will lose mood if their clothing rots off them because you're not producing enough.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?