Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get rid quickly of all the discarded clothing?  (Read 782 times)

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get rid quickly of all the discarded clothing?
« on: October 31, 2022, 06:04:48 pm »

I've created an atom smasher with a dump area beneath it. But I have to manually hunt down discarded clothing and ordered them to dump it. After years of a fortress and a couple of sieges, my map has hundreds of clothes scattered around. Is there and efficient manner of destroying them?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid quickly of all the discarded clothing?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 06:39:47 pm »

Let the garbage truck deal with it?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 04:07:29 am »

Simply go to the stock menu and dump all clothing items. Then make some new clothes, much more convenient than dealing with old scattered crap.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 01:27:42 pm »

QSP, but it dumps non-masterworks into magma. Your clothier's workshop gives to your new clothes stockpile, and everything else ends up in the trash QSP. Masterworks can be sold or left to rot in a refuse stockpile, unless you don't mind bad thoughts from destruction.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 04:33:50 pm »

The dfhack "cleanowned" command. It doesn't destroy items, it just flags them for dumping (use "cleanowned help" to see the options).

If you have some tolerance for bins and there is stuff from 100+ goblins and a long walk, this method can be more efficient...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 02:23:30 am »

The clothing wears out WAY too fast within Dwarf Fortress....  it's like the stuff is made out of paper towels. 
Even 2000 years ago the clothing which was made would last several years even for people who did hard labor. 

The fast destruction of clothing in this game only adds boring micro-management instead of allowing the player to focus on more fun aspects.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 06:53:03 pm »

The clothing wears out WAY too fast within Dwarf Fortress....  it's like the stuff is made out of paper towels. 
Even 2000 years ago the clothing which was made would last several years even for people who did hard labor. 

My dorfs have clothing that does last that long: Are you making yours out of paper towel? I really don't need to start a clothing industry for three years or more, pretty good for clothes that are constantly worn with no replacements.

Perhaps what we really need is a clothing repair function, so that darns, sashiko and patches can upgrade xxclothingxx to *clothing* again.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!