Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!  (Read 17219 times)

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
Re: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2023, 04:52:40 pm »

Also, Lord Lemonpie, please sign me up for another round.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2023, 07:47:12 pm »

I would like to preface this by saying that my last post was made without reading the rest of the thread. I had no idea what was gonna be dropped on my lap!

Only partway through summer. I'll have the rest done soon!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2023, 03:31:44 am »

Dang that kid has some rage, I'd say drop him into the caverns but he seems to be friends with everything down there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2023, 04:12:52 am »

I would like to preface this by saying that my last post was made without reading the rest of the thread. I had no idea what was gonna be dropped on my lap!

Only partway through summer. I'll have the rest done soon!
Sheesh, that is one angry kid. Two more years and he'll make a fine militiaman

Also, Lord Lemonpie, please sign me up for another round.
Done! Anyone else?

Ulebtatlosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2023, 04:25:10 am »

Ha, didn't expect Iden to return. Broken hands seems like a fitting punishment, hopefully no more artifact crossbows will be stolen.
And what a child! I'm sure he'll do great things in the future...

Put me back on the list too then.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2023, 11:04:16 pm »

The story continues!

Spoiler: More violence! (click to show/hide)
Advice to the next overseer: The agitated wildlife on the surface is very problematic. I'd suggest killing them off as often as you can. Eventually, we can reach total site extinction. If your citizens get stuck in a fear loop because of a flying enemy, just use DFhack to exterminate the buggers. Also, exercise caution with the obsidian pillar. It's full of surprises.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16418
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2023, 08:11:01 am »

Thanks for playing, great turn! I'll message the next person on the list.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2023, 11:31:25 am »

admirable attempt to control the flying pest issue. who knew a giant fly might be such a paralyzing nuisance?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2023, 11:48:03 am »

admirable attempt to control the flying pest issue. who knew a giant fly might be such a paralyzing nuisance?
I must've killed like 3 or 4 full swarms. DFwiki puts their pop at 5:20 so maybe soon we'll have made them extinct. But then there's always normal agitated birds that could do the same... I'm afraid we won't be free from this curse for a while.
Meow.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2023, 07:10:44 pm »

We have a GSC again! Quick, set up a web collecting facility immediately!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2023, 06:30:46 am »

I haven't heard back from Noagga76, which means the turn passes on! I'm next on the list coincidentally so I'll take it over. If you still want to play please send me a PM, i'll get you back on the list!

Is there anyone that still wants to be dorfed?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2023, 07:23:50 am »

go ahead and re-dwarf me. survivor I am not, this game

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2023, 09:10:02 am »

Life. Such a fickle thing. Once, I had been alive. Now, I was dead. I had been so for quite some time. It is odd, to remember life, once one is dead. Much, I had forgotten. Even my name had been lost to history. Three years ago, I had fallen, in the rampage of a great forgotten beast. Suffocated in its webs. Even though I had forgotten much, in this unresting slumber, the fortress I had founded had not forgotten me. Many statues of me lined the stockpiles, most of them depicting either my ascension to the position of expedition leader or my tearful withdrawal from the role. Now, I had no feelings for such trivial things. Yet, I still had not truly died. Something kept me bound to this place. A sense of duty, perhaps? As the new year dawned, and the goblin horns of war had sounded from the west, something had stirred within my tomb. What that had exactly been was still up for debate between me and the living world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My spiritual presence floated through the fortress, much bigger now than I had left it behind. Much more chaotic, much more crowded. It pleased me to see the fortress flourish, but I also felt a displeasure at the excesses I saw. The fortress was full of bards, poets and dancers. Useless parasites. The dead need silence to rest truly. Something which had become impossible with all these artists, that tended  to visit the tombs to compose their "emotional" songs, recitals and performances once they had experienced the slightest "trauma". An unbecoming lifestyle in the fortress. There, I swore to take revenge, or at least make them useful.

As I continued my travels upwards, passing the quarters of the new king Uvash, I continued towards the hospital. There, another spirit, just like mine, greeted me. Salmeuk. He had also been awakened by Gods know what. Probably the latest bard screeching some abhorrent song about how terrifying it was to see the corpse of some lowly eagle man festering away. Next to the spirit of Salmeuk, a more horrifying scene. One of the fortress' doctors had acidentally cut himself with one of the newly forged, razor-sharp steel scalpels that had just been added to the hospital stocks. He was bleeding out. We could do very little, from the spirit world. Yet Salmeuk had hatched a plan. He would take over the weakened body of this doctor, enter it through the bleeding wound, and heal it from the inside. Of course, not without reward: he would secure a place in the brain of this new body, commandeering it so to speak. I agreed this was a fine plan, as a doctor like this was essential to the running of the fortress. And so, Ïngiz Tulonìlal was reborn as "Salmeuk II". Let's hope some of this doctors medical skills are preserved as his body is taken over.

I too would have to find a new host then. The fortress could use a "return to old management", in my opinion. I floated further, passing areas of the fortress that started to look more familiar. Built in my time of life. Some even under my command. It was not long before I arrived at the surface, where I noticed an impressive military awaiting the goblin siege. Bloodshed would indubitably occur. The perfect opportunity for me to find a new host. I peered through the walls, expecting to see a tide of green. I was quite surprised to see but half a dozen soldiers of a variety of races climb around some trees. They had beaten some visiting bard to death in the branches, and now seemed unsure how to come down. Is this what had become of the once proud goblin nation? Embarassing. A lone human crossbowman had refused to climb the tree, and now charged towards the fortress, where some forty heavily armed soldiers waited for him. The battle was over in a flash. The human's body so destroyed in the carnage that taking it over would not have worked. And even if it would have, the army would have struck me down in an instant again. I looked at the killer of the soldier. His body intact. But the act of killing another sapient had created a tiny cut in his soul. Right over a similar sized scar. A weakness. A way in. I did not think twice. This soldier, if truly loyal, would understand the necessity of this. I dashed into his body, and before he could even comprehend what had happened, his own soul had been.... evicted.

This was my body now.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2023, 09:38:45 am »

Oh dear, I knew I should've been more proactive about those memorials!
Meow.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2023, 11:21:32 am »

It was not long before I realized that the body I'd taken over had once belonged to a bard. A truly horrifying realisation. It delighted me however that one of the previous overseers had put our excess of artists to good use, and drafted a fair few of them into the military. This inspired me somewhat. After convincing the fellow members of the leaderless fortress that their once-dead overseer had returned and was here to take back leadership with some ghastly eye-glowing tricks and trivia only the oldest inhabitants of the fortress knew (daeizer was quite surprised when I described to him in detail how our wagon had careened off the mountainside with him in it as we started our embark), I settled in my old quarters, cracked my knuckles and prepared for an overhaul of the fortress.

Only to be rudely interrupted by an astonishing cacophony of sounds from all of the breached cave layers.

Nothing to worry about, however. All cavern layers had been sealed. Only the second layer had some issue, with the seal in question consisting of two forbidden doors. That wouldn't do. I sent out a squadron to take care of Lidod, and they swiftly ran into the caverns. To my surprise, however, the deer-monster did not bolt for the opened doors as I expected. It instead, submerged itself in a murky pool, out of reach of our military. They stood befuddled, looking at the beast, not realizing its malevolent plan. Through some foul magic, the massive abomination crawled through our sleek well, ending up at the farms. Some foolish bard and a worthless child came to be its victims, before the bumbling menagerie of idiots we refer to as our army realized the creature had already entered. Lashings for all of them.

Meanwhile, on the surface, a scholar is brawling with a goblin snatcher. The weather is mild with a forecast of raining teeth. Another of our squads came to finish of the green criminal, but the damage is already done. I have mockingly started calling the scholar "Sazkul the Toothless", and those in the fortress that agree with my vision have taken to the name as well. She was quick to leave the fortress after that. Let us hope she won't pursue a career in dentistry.

The populace has been rowdy. Brawls break out now and then, or furniture is untastefully rearranged. In the last brawl, the king got involved. Instead of helping to break it up, as expected of a noble of such high rank, he instead took out his anger on some unsuspecting dog. The poor creature later succumbed to its injuries, but of course, there is naught to be done when one of such high stature commits an act that would otherwise be punishable. I sent the fortress guard to break up the fight instead, and it seemed to fizzle away at their arrival.

My plan to draft more artists into a squad has had mixed success. A lowly-guarded goblin fortress lies nearby, and I was planning to subjugate it using these artists as catapult-fodder. Their horrid singing and suggestive hip-thrusts would be better used to torture some poor, unwilling goblin population. Twice, however, they have refused subjugation, so I have instead sent the squad to raid. See if they still resist so fiercely once their food is stolen and their guard robbed of their weapons. 

Our outer defenses need work too. I have assigned diggers to flatten a large piece of mountainside, so we can reinforce it in case of sieges. I have... ambitious plans for the area.

I have noticed the body resisting my presence. From the inside, I have been clawing at the soul further, trying to rend it apart. And even though it has started to fray at the edges of my entry point, its ethereal essence is surprisingly sturdy. I have needed to resort to other methods to stay in this world, in this fortress. This fortress that rightfully belongs to me. Our flock of sheep has been incredibly bountiful the last few years. The blood of rams and lambs will have to serve to tie me to this world. I have decided to regularly bathe in it, though few know this. The butchers complain about their increased workloads, and the bookkeeper has mentioned that so much meat is being processed that the cooks have no time to salt and preserve it before it rots away. I care little. Let the bards do it. As a reward, they may use the fragile intestines as strings for their instruments. I must remain in this world.

A week ago, I awoke. Surrounded by people. Friends of the old owner of this body. They looked frightened. I am suspecting this body is using my time in the realm of dreams for its own purposes. Seeking help.

Yesterday, I awoke with Rith Asmeledtûl on my bedside, preforming some frightened sham of an exorcism at my bedside. Some irrelevant stonecutting wench, who had been the closest friend of the previous inhabitant of this shell. She had been erratic for weeks, and was now trying to get rid of me. Of ME! The fortress guard was loyal to me. It took me less than an hour to pass legislation increasing the quality of their weaponry, and framing Rith for 8 counts of disorderly conduct. Some of them even had witnesses. I laughed, as they dragged her away. She would never bother me again. No one would.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14