Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!  (Read 17996 times)

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2023, 02:31:09 pm »

Apologies, I meant to respond last night. College has started up again for me so I’d like to be put down on the turn list since I don’t think I’m gonna have time to play with the start of the semester. Sorry to inconvenience you!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2023, 02:35:16 pm »

As I continued my travels upwards, passing the quarters of the new king Uvash, I continued towards the hospital. There, another spirit, just like mine, greeted me. Salmeuk. He had also been awakened by Gods know what. Probably the latest bard screeching some abhorrent song about how terrifying it was to see the corpse of some lowly eagle man festering away. Next to the spirit of Salmeuk, a more horrifying scene. One of the fortress' doctors had acidentally cut himself with one of the newly forged, razor-sharp steel scalpels that had just been added to the hospital stocks. He was bleeding out. We could do very little, from the spirit world. Yet Salmeuk had hatched a plan. He would take over the weakened body of this doctor, enter it through the bleeding wound, and heal it from the inside. Of course, not without reward: he would secure a place in the brain of this new body, commandeering it so to speak. I agreed this was a fine plan, as a doctor like this was essential to the running of the fortress. And so, Ïngiz Tulonìlal was reborn as "Salmeuk II". Let's hope some of this doctors medical skills are preserved as his body is taken over.

This new form - so warm and squishy. Ingiz's mistake, or perhaps intentional self-slicing, has given me the opportunity to return to the mortal existence I so long for. just gotta wash off this blood... and, as Ingiz was a doctor, I can now ensure my own continued survival, as well as that of the wounded and ailing citizens of this great fortress.

poetry diss battles between incompetent bards.

step 1. draft all artists, bards, poets, and their ilk
step 2. give them training and time to perfect their combat
step 3. re-introduce them into the fortress population
step 4. hire hollywoodshroom production company to film a mockumentary of the resulting fights
step 5. ? ? ?
step 6. rake in the dwarfbucks as "Rap Battles from the Frontier: The True Lives of Poets" gets signed for a second and third season
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 02:40:22 pm by Salmeuk »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2023, 04:56:25 pm »

Through spring and summer, we work on our outside fortifications. I have ordered massive amounts of bauxite to be quarried, broken into blocks and shipped to the surface. Progress is faster than expected, and half the mountaintop has dissappeared already. The wildlife has become quite aggressive and disruptive, and especially the fliers pose a threat. Some agitated giant monarch butterflies managed to kill a peasant the other day. Yet all that blood only fuels me.

I have sent a dozen architects to recieve lashings, yet they refuse to construct walls as far north as I desire. They claim it would be unbefitting to build in certain areas. A taboo that eludes me, but as I am no mason or hauler, it will have to do. They will get sent for another round of lashings. The result is a fairly thin fortress, with less interior space than I would have preferred.

Still, much more bauxite needs to be quarried. The floor area is large and needs covering, and I will add another level of fortifications, raise the towers with decoration and work on my own abode, of which the bottom floor is now finished. As for decorations..... statues of me, perhaps?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The captain of the guard informed me that an odd visitor appeared. It had once been convicted of stealing one of our artifact crossbows. We'd need to keep close tabs on the creature. I'd call the undead bothersome, but from my current perspective, that would perhaps be hypocritical.

I'd been hearing about some cavern child accused of murder, immune to the aggression of the dark creatures of the caverns. Yet nowhere could I find this child. It was only when I opened a locked room that I realized the child was no longer with us. It had been consumed by a giant cave spider, which we had luckily been able to trap. A shame really, as this dark prodigy could have proven a useful ally. I have decided to not inter his remains. Maybe he can still serve me in death.

One of the dwarves made a unicorn bone scepter. Quite astounding craftsmanship, really. Especially the sasquatch in green diamond seems tasteful. I will safeguard this scepter in my bedroom, where no thieves stand a chance of stealing it.

The bard squad finally returned. Results: raid unsuccesfull. Two goblins dead against one of our humans. But, it will have weakened their defenses. We will try subjugation soon again. Still, I sent them to the lasher. Iron whip for this sad performance, methinks.

One of our armymen, off duty and strolling around the caverns, managed to take down two blind cave ogres. All without a weapon. An impressive feat, yet I still sent him to the lasher for it. Using a weapon would have provided more useful experience, and the pain soothes me so. Not long after, another abomination emerged from the caverns. A feathered slug with toxic spittle. One of our swordsmasters killed it, again bare-handed, destroying its brain with a punch. I sent her to the lasher as well, for the same reason. Yet she somehow managed to dodge each strike of the whip while bound. A true master of combat.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2023, 09:47:24 pm »

On the one hand, it's an issue that we have so many damned Forgotten Beasts polluting the lower depths. On the other hand, it's a training exercise. Heck, if we can accurately map the layers each is in, we could even lead them all into the same level and let them have a cage match to the death.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2023, 03:58:37 am »

we could even lead them all into the same level and let them have a cage match to the death.
That sounds like a good use for all those poets and bards.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2023, 09:16:09 am »

The wildlife around us has truly started resisting the presence of our mighty fortress. Birds of prey are attacking farmers as they come to sow their seeds. Large bugs bite and gnaw and dwarf and pet alike. And today, a rather horrid swarm of creatures appeared. Gigantic canines, hungry for dwarven flesh. I've ordered the squads out to both exits, so they can be properly protected from this vermin. The captain of the guard and his militia to the new front gate, and my own squadron to the back.

This order seems to have taken place at the right time, as the minute we reach our positions, the goblin horns of war sound once more. Another pathetic squadron arrives, but then, to our surprise, just bolts away. A prank? Some mysterious tactic? Neither, it turns out, as soon we see why they fled. Two elven ambushes, battling on the side of nature. Our steel weaponry makes short work of their wooden "armor", and together with a pack of snatchers and a kobold thief, we drive them straight into the pits of hell.

Well, "we" is underselling it. In my tactical genius I decided it would be unwise to leave our back gate open to a possible other ambush. No such force existed, but still - it absolutely demonstrated my tactical skill. It was not long before we encountered our first intruder. Rovod Kolonshen. Oh, how I curse that name! A spoilt, ravenous little critter, filled with an unending well of hate and ferocity since she was caught in the rain 6 years ago. Now, this monster had recently turned 12, and dwarven puberty had struck viciously. Of course, as the benevolent leader I am, I ordered her inside, lest she get caught by a snatcher, or worse: an elf. She would have none of it, and the little brat started assaulting me without hesitation! Normally I would have struck her down without a concern in the world, but seeing as I was surrounded by my loyal squad of soldiers, I could do no such thing. What would they think of me? Two hefty strikes, and I lost my teeth. All of them. This terror was a force to reckon with. Her strikes struck true, and it was not long before I was toothless, covered in bruises, with a torn muscle and even some bone-bruises! Dwarven law forbids me to execute her, but I will sit on her charges until she reaches adulthood, and convict her then. Of every misdemeanor in the entire fortress. That will teach her.

I was carried to the hospital by one of our mace lords, who was shocked at the ferocity of my assailant and the injuries I sustained. He rightfully commended me for my patience and merciful nature, and mentioned he would have been unable to contain himself in striking down the child. A proper soldier. In the hospital, I was evaluated by Salmeuk. After looking over my horrid wounds, he chose not to treat them at all! The audacity! "A punishment for parasitizing the body of a healthy citizen". He ordered me to be cleaned several times over, making derogatory remarks about my bodily odor. Such an irrelevant thing. In turn, I ordered him to recieve 10 lashes. That will teach you to respect MY authority. In order to apologize for the behaviour of his friend, a dwarven child named Dastot created an astounding orange wood crown. He cried when my soldiers came to confiscate it, claiming it was supposed to be a gift for his grandmother. None of my concern. It will serve me better.

The caverns still crawl with horrid creatures. Both large and small. An army of cave-fish men recently emerged, set on destroying the fortress. The first defense they encountered was a trapped forgotten beast, which made quick work of most of them. Yet in the fight, the creature had finally managed to release itself from the tree in which it had been stuck for months. The army rushed to defend the entrance to the cavern, and made quick work of the beast.

I've sent the bardic army to Boldhate once more. That fortress is becoming a thorn in my eye. Even though every time we strike down multiple of its inhabitants, it has doubled its population in the last few months! One of them, the human Itni, refuses to go. The last time was supposedly much too traumatizing, complaining about how he lost his best friend to something called a "cerulean fiend". He changed his mind after a two-dozen lashings, and was on his way then.

Construction on the surface is nearly finished. The walls all stand, and all that needs to happen is some minor decoration. Quite some builders have perished, through bad luck or flying wildlife, but it is but a minor obstacle. Even the largest of cave-ins will not stop me from finishing this fortress. Yet it feels as if the mountain itself is fighting me sometimes. I've ordered their sun-bleached skeletons to be thrown in the trash with the remainder of the limestone rubble. Let us hope they rise again to build some more. Some of my lost teeth were tossed away as well, and of course, the haulers were lashed for this oversight.

The bards once again return, unsuccesfull. Three of the nine have found their death in that accursed fortress. It WILL come under my control, or I will turn it into a sea of ash and dust! The foul goblinoids will pay for this. Of course, the bard-squad gets another lashing. Their backs are thick with scars, like some tortured tortoise. One day, they will learn. And if not, they will die trying.

But, I am no stupid man. The fortress grows more powerful by the day, and I have ordered two serious squads to set out and pillage the place. I will join them, and command the assault. The journey was a little over two days. It had been years since I left the fortress, and it felt like a breath of fresh air. We even saw some wildlife not intent on killing us. But, as we approached, it was clear the goblin menace was a blight on the land. Even worse than our damage, which only served to strengthen our industry, this seemed to be done out of sheer disrespect for nature.

At night, we arrived. Asmel drew up a plan. It was terrible. And now, at dawn, we start. It seems we are just charging in. This cannot be a g

The rest of the page is covered in blood. It was brought back by a devastated army returning from a failed attempt at pillaging Boldhate.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2023, 01:38:49 pm »

Goddamn, bro! What the hell is this fortress, Boatmurdered? Homicidal wildlife, meandering layout, tantrums and murder children, and now a tyrant ghost running the fort with an undead fist of iron.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2023, 01:05:18 pm »

Death. Again. It is liberating in some way. To float freely through the world. To be unburdened by things as fickle as emotions. As I left the body of my host, Astesh, I managed to get a brief glimpse of the battlefield. Our dwarves fought valiantly, but there was no plan, no morale. It might have worked on a village, or some scattered dark pits. But the walls of this fortress, no matter how low its population, allowed no such thing as an uncoordinated charge. As I saw our army get beaten back by our enemy, I looked at my corpse. Or, more accurately, Astesh's corpse. The body had little to do with me.

It was not long until I suddenly felt an overwhelming pull, and found myself being dragged away from the battlefield at a near-incomprehensible speed. Trees became a blur of green. Rivers flashed by. And the savage forests to our southeast made way for the familiar blue hue of the land surrounding our fortress. Suddenly, a familiar place. I found myself in my tomb, surrounded by the noise of construction work being done outside. Gem windows glistening in the morning sun. A child playing make believe in the corner. Home. But how had I gotten here?

As I looked around, I discovered what dragged me in so quickly. There, in my tomb, a single tooth. The only tooth that had not been dumped while cleaning the plaza-in-progress. Taken from me by my archenemy, yet now a vessel of power, a phylactery of sorts. It had kept me grounded here.

A new body then. I knew it had to be a sign. There was still work to be done. This fortress needed my stern guidance. I dashed through the walls, encountering some engraver I had never seen before. It'd do. I had practice now, and dashing into his body to take it over had been much less of a challenge than it had before. Now, I'd have to convince the fortress their leader was back again.

Only some in the fortress, those who had been most loyal to me before, believed it was me, in this new body. It took three days to get back my status as de facto leader of the fortress. It was the return of our disheveled army that convinced the last group. Of course, both the stragglers and the pitiful soldiers that managed to return went straight to the lasher. Maybe that would make them see the error in their ways. The lasher is in fact becoming quite the talent at his craft. I will enroll him in the army to ensure the best of discipline there.

The wildlife still resists our rightful dominion of the area. Some days ago, a child needed to get stitched up in the hospital. An eagle had chased him for half a day until the fortress guard stopped laughing at the, admittedly hilarious, whole ordeal. The talons of the beast struck true, and the child will be scarred for life. Today, a massive bull moose found his way into the fortress. We needed leather anyways, and meat is always a welcome addition to the table.

I have decided we will have to learn the natural world who is boss around this area. We will start a full extermination campaign on the surface, and I will once again be accepting monster hunters into the fortress. We start with the gaggle of agitated giant dingos, which are still prowling around at the other side of the river. A single squad of our army waded through without effort and turned them into minced meat and fur-lined socks. Next on the list is an agitated louse that managed to kill a traveling bard. More meat for the meat pile! The abominations still continue to pop up in the caverns, but the surviving gaggle of swallow-men down there have become experts at taking down these creatures. It seems some wildlife has a purpose, at least.

Still, I am of the opinion we have to learn from life. Maybe one day, I will be able to get back my true body. Some of the kilnworkers are also amateur biologists. They have been making accurate-to-life statues of a variety of creatures out of porcelain. I have decided to combine these lovely works with our collection of caged, living beasts to start an open air museum of biology. Though, much has still to be done.

Other than cleaning up the vermin that infests our surface, I have decided to also clean up the interior of the fortress. Many bedrooms are filled with clothes worn to the last thread. Luckily, we still had some cabinets lying around. I ordered a massive batch of new clothes to be made, as a sign of my generosity. The corpse piles were also cleaned out, together with some stockpiles and loose building materials. It is a time of plenty in the fortress, and I will make sure the populace knows.

Some conflicts still take place. Yesterday, one of our spearmasters killed a visitor in a single punch as he threw a tantrum. Not much of an issue, as it was some expendable human poet, but I sent him to the lasher all the same. I did have to plead for him with our local clergy, as this shedding of blood took place in the middle of our temple.

I have also decided to work on our.... "Ghost issue". I thought it would be better for my status, but the people seem to think otherwise. I do still have to placate them sometimes, no matter how much I resent the action. I have hatched a plan though. Right next to my museum of biology, I will dig out a burial complex. This way, we have knowledge of both the living and the dead combined, and our scholars can work more easily on reviving my original body. It will look pretty in the open space I have constructed, as well.

Also, as the year draws to a close, I have decided to finally end the fortress of Boldhate. No more raids, no more pillaging, no more demands for surrender. We will raze the whole settlement to the ground. Nearly forty of our men and women have marched out. Only the leader of one of our squadrons, lags behind. This 306-year-old elf, mayor of our settlement, moves slower than a slug in summer! And then, as leaving the fortress takes so long, they return halfway through their journey every single time, as they have eaten or drunk through their rations before they are off. It took them almost half a month to leave Irritan Anam, mainly due to them passing out from exhaustion in the hallway and sleeping for nearly four days! But finally, the army is gone. Though with no hopes of returning before spring.

Though our army does not return before the start of the new year, it feels that, for now, my task is done. Our surface fortress stands, and I feel like taking place in my throne room and enjoying what I have created. Someone else can lead the fortress for a while, I think. As I walk through my blood-red, bauxite creation and marvel at the wonders I have created, a stonecutter approaches me, with a stunning artifact. A crown of bauxite, to match my fortress. With pride, I don it, and look over my creation.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16431

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2023, 01:28:33 pm »

Picking this up now.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2023, 07:52:58 pm »

awesome update! felt as though I was peering into the mind of a darkly serious overlord. 

the surface fortress is imposing and very very red. the menagerie really sells the place.

Today, a massive bull moose found his way into the fortress.

a moose once bit my sister...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2023, 04:43:19 am »

That's an impressive red fortress you've built there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2023, 11:22:40 am »

Add me again, I just hope my dwarf can live until my turn since his workshop's a bit uncomfortably close to the caverns.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2023, 11:23:16 am »

Much madness, divinest sense.

Perhaps I should queue up for a second turn?  Though at this point I'd feel bad adding to the story when there are no summaries of the antics thus far.  Relatedly, are there any architecture records or logistic documentation?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2023, 11:42:24 am »

Much madness, divinest sense.

Perhaps I should queue up for a second turn?  Though at this point I'd feel bad adding to the story when there are no summaries of the antics thus far.  Relatedly, are there any architecture records or logistic documentation?

what kind of bureaucracy do you think we run around here? don't look too closely - this place is secretly run by three gremlins and a kea. and everyone is naked for some reason

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2023, 12:40:02 pm »

I like how there are two dwarven gods of different nations, both female, one of jewels and our one of jewels and minerals. Really adds depth to the world. Turn post soon.

Something has been casuing lag. Just getting 1fps.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:37:53 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14