Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!  (Read 17953 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: DF steam release on 6-12 - Who's up for a succession fort?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:28 pm »

/in as player

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2022, 09:56:40 pm »

Count me in, if you've still got room! Also, if you could dwarf me in as the metalsmith, please.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:12:41 am by LeftHandofGod »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2022, 12:47:15 am »

saves are at
Code: [Select]
/Steam/steamapps/common/Dwarf Fortress/save/

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2022, 08:38:03 am »

Chapter II: First settlement
Determining the entry to the fortress had been easy: a little ways back up on the mountain we had spotted a cluster of precious levin opals within a vein of hematite. It called to me, as a miner, and the group quickly agreed to make it our entrance. We dug down, far down the mountain, until we found the comforting embrace of rock and stone. There, we dug out some basics: stockpiles, bedrooms and workshops. It was not long until we struck a gorgeous pink cluster of rock salt. It'd be the main building block for now, for I liked it's appearance. Turning some of it into mugs to drink had been a mistake however, as it made the plump helmet wine unbearably salt. For statues, it made a gorgeous construction material however, and we were quick to construct a decorated entrance with them.

Spring, which had been rather uneventful, quickly turned into summer. Our hard labour made time pass fairly quickly. As expedition leader, I had quickly come to know some of my compatriots, and a few of them I greatly enjoyed spending company with. Since not much has happened, why not introduce them here? Something should go in these logs, for the sake of the king. I'll start of with myself.

I am Lord_lemonpie, miner, expedition leader by grace of his majesty King Geshud, tasked with established this outpost because of my thrill-seeking nature. I dream of mastering my skill one day, and resent my short dwarven stature. I'd much rather be like the Giants of legend, being able to squish those I don't like with a single, mighty step.

Spoiler: Lord_lemonpie (click to show/hide)

Then we have brewer bob, a close friend of mine. In my opinion, her greatest asset is her willpower and the value she puts on persevering. She also enjoys looking at the clouds while fishing.
Spoiler: brewer bob (click to show/hide)

Then we have daeizer, another one of my close friends. One of the funniest people you will meet, and a gentle giant at that. The lad is patient and slow to anger, creative and hilariously zany. Bayberry wine is his favourite.
Spoiler: daeizer (click to show/hide)

Last on my list of friends is AvolitionBrit, our mason. He is a kind man, opposed to conflict and tolerant of other's differences. If there's one thing he can't stand it's bats, something his best mate daeizer has used multiple times to prank the poor man.
Spoiler: AvolitionBrit (click to show/hide)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Irratan Nam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2022, 09:37:35 am »

Chapter III: Fill up those stocks

The land here seems.... quite blessed. Though the occasional big insect seeks it's way here, the soil is fertile and the woods are rich in fruits and other valuable crops. Sun berries, pecans, sand pears, plums, peaches and parsnips grow plentifully in the woods. Large bushes of hemp also dot the forest floor, ideal for ropemaking and weaving. brewer bob claims the plant has "other uses" too, though she remains mysterious about what those are, and the plant itself does not look appealing for either cooking or brewery. I guess we will see.

A small band of.... eccentric migrants arrived recently, on a warm summer's eve. It seems to be a polycule of legendary craftsmen. A legendary bowyer, which seems to be the most normal of the group, and two legendary weaponsmiths, one with two lovers, one with two lovers and another married spouse. The two legenday polygamous weaponsmiths seem to be cousins, complicating the whole affair. Their nephew, a legendary 19-year-old bone carver, again with two lovers, also accompanies them. I am quite curious what kind of family this is, but I am too affraid to ask. To each their own, and their unmatched skill in crafting will be a great boon to the fortress. With them comes another adequate weaponsmith and a skillless peasant.

Spoiler: Legendary Arrivals (click to show/hide)

Summer and autumn remained fairly uneventful. We picked the boons of the forest for most of the season, ensuring our fortress would have a steady supply of food. It was not long before the merchants arrived. Their wagons had not been able to cross the mountain range, so only some draft animals carrying bags had made the trek. I talked a bit with the outpost liaison, who advised us to make toys and armor for export, but otherwise was quite a dull man. The alliance still stood, there had been no major wars fought in the world. Our settlement seemed to have been the only thing to change on the map. Another few migrants arrived following the caravan, though none of them stood out to me. Our population had gone up to 18, including 3 children that now rampaged through the fortress.

One funny thing had happened. As all of our fortress had been out for the harvest before the caravan came, I had to order them all back inside so they could carry goods to the, at that time still unfinished, trade depot. Everyone was quick to obey, and AvolitionBrit was smart enough to take the stepladder we used inside with him. What he overlooked, however, was the fact that Äs, our manager, bookkeeper, and most importantly right now our broker, had still been high up in between the branches of a pecan tree picking nuts as AvolitionBrit took away his only way out. It took us several days to notice, and I loathe to admit that I chalked up the curses coming from the trees to some unknown wildlife living in this alien area. Äs had been so dehydrated we had to cut the tree down to get him out, and I ended up doing the trading. Luckily, he is recovering quite fast, having sustained only minor bruising from the fall.

We've worked on constructing a dining room and some more bedrooms, but due to the harvest, progress has been slow.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Irratan Nam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:16 am »

Don't have the money set aside to purchase Steam Release just yet, so I'll be living vicariously through you guys :D
Strike the earth!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2022, 03:25:45 pm »

Seems i have a quest for knowledge. Hmmmm might need to persure that on my turn :) . Looking good btw, enjoying the updates.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Irratan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 08:50:25 am »

Chapter IV: Beasts & Visitors

We've ran into some troubles. Though the fauna in this area seems to be quite benign, there seems to be a hitherto undescribed species of vermin plundering our stocks. None in the fortress have ever seen this.... amorphous thing, and the current theory is that this must be a new species endemic to the region. As for the name of the thing, 3-year-old Urvad suggested "Fluffy wambler". It seems fitting, so we'll keep it. The creatures have absolutely been rampaging through our stocks, only to be torn apart visciously by the cats. Poor things. Maybe one day we can trap some, and gift them to the king. It would be an astounding novelty at court, for sure.

Speaking of His Majesty, he seems to have set over three of his footmen to inspect the fortress. They came heavily armed, asking a manner of questions about artifacts and books we did not possess. Afterwards, they just drunk, for weeks on end, rapidly going through our stocks of fruit cider. Is this the military our civilization should be proud of?

I've talked with the citizens about worship in the fortress. Constructing a temple was a pressing matter, with many dwarves experiencing stress so far removed from the shrines and cathedrals of the mountainhome. They would have to do with the peacock's nesting area for now. At least they could kneel in the straw there. Though they would have to remove the baby lama corpse currently stinking up the little hallway. The most popular gods in the fortress had been Rakas, the god of wealth, Äs Silverearth, the god of metals, and Vesh Buriedfated, the Goddess of death. Temples honoring them should soon be constructed. To Vesh specifically, as I worshiped her myself.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2022, 10:02:33 am »

Chapter V: These last winter days

Winter had been mild compared to what we usually experienced north of the mountain range. There had not been the slightest sign of snow. Only a neverending torrent of rainwater that made dragging in the last of the harvest a bothersome affair. But, compared to frostbite, I had little to complain. The others disagreed however, ceaslessly bothering me with meetings where they vented their frustration about having to work outside at this time of year. Where these the dwarfs I crossed the mountainrange with? The brave pioneers seeking their fortune in new, untamed lands? I ordered some cabinets to be built for their chambers, as a little consolation prize. Maybe that would shut them up.

In midwinter, two bards had come to visit. A dwarven one and a human, of all species. There had been the occasional human trader or diplomat back in the mountainhome, but I had never had the pleasure to meet one up close. Standing in front of the creature made me a bit uncomfortable. It's height seemed unnatural, and I admit I even felt some jealousy. How grand it would be to see the world from up there. Not a thought I could share with my proud, dwarven compatriots however. The spell of tallness the human bard had put on me quickly faded once I saw him bumping his head against one of the doorways. That was an inconvenience I hadn't considered.

The last weeks of winter, the two bards told us stories of mighty heroes, terrible predators and noble kings. It was a delight. Outside, the Giant Peach-faced lovebirds frolicked, and brewer bob discovered a new, terrifyingly large type of deer-cow hybrid while out fishing. As the sun dawned on the last day of obsidian, we and our bard guests dined on a simple feast of plums, apricots, river mussels and other fish. Spring would come tomorrow, and I had promised AvolitionBrit I would hand over the reigns of expedition leader to lead a more humble life as miner at the start of the new year. This book now passes to him. It has been an honour to serve.

Take the book!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2022, 12:11:08 pm »

I had little to complain. The others disagreed however, ceaslessly bothering me with meetings where they vented their frustration about having to work outside at this time of year.

Good grief, do y'all have dwarves "Attending Meetings" 'cos of stress already? The rain in this game is relentless.

An odd, terrifying beast stalks the hills

Of all the things the Steam tileset has given us, the ramps are still my favorite. So pretty :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 01:24:24 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2022, 01:20:16 pm »

I agree slopes are some of my favorite that and maybe the fact that military dwarves have different sprites per gear piece they have on and what it is made of. I think that is so cool

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2022, 04:21:03 pm »

Year 101 Spring Report

As promised Lord Lemonpie passed the book to my hands, finally i have had my chance to shape the fortress. Much like a block of stone a fine fortress must be as flawless as possible. I admit Lemonpie made a quaint abode for us but we were missing something crucial. The trade depot, a true lifeline of the fortress that lets carvans of all nations know we are open to trading, i dare think of the whisky we could have traded for, not to mention of the copies of books we could have gained.

Which is another thing that needs attending to, we lack a library and the only book is "Uncanny Animal Embryos" that one of our guests Zoku Princegang let me read. Interesting human to say the least, she is only 26 and exploring the world with a whip fastened to her hip, she has been mostly using our fortress as a resting site.

Enjoying the entertainment with her traveling companion Emtha Seasontusks whom are both on a quest seeking information on the book "An Exploration of The Costal Creed".

The Tavern small success of late has been due to Logem Ragfrenzies whom is the Baron Consort of Boltnotched if you believe it. He is truly a master of his craft, the dwarf can perform such beautiful music. If he requests long term accomedation i think we can all agree this must be accepted posthaste.

Back to my recent constructions, i dug a chamber left of our surface staircase, with a ramp reaching the surface, this area will also have a new bigger office for As our Manager/Broker/Bookkeeper. He deserves it as he is a key part to keeping to fortress running smoothly, its new location will enable him to liaise easier with traders. Speaking of noble positions, i have decided to take up being chief medical dwarf until a more medically inclined dwarf arrives. My plans for summer are the library and getting it up and running. Should anyone have any requests i have left a sheet in The Devourer of Creation for anyones suggestions on what they want in the fortress. In addition to this after some concern i have indeed begun to build a simple structure around our surface staircase.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2022, 05:12:33 pm »

Year 101 Summer Report

Honestly, why bother. So the new depot to replace the outside one is finally read to go and we have the human traders arrive. No wagon but i suspect they wern't carry much in terms of trade goods as we hadn't made an deals big enough for them to warrent bringing a wagon. MY GOD THIS HUMAN MERCHANT IS THE WORSE, im not sure if he had sold his stock already or what but he waltzs in here demanding to see the As and has no trade goods. Was this a subtle threat from the humans to extort us or what? Hopefully next year a merchant with actual goods will show up. Atleast we should get a caravan from the mountain home come Autumn.

In better news the new library dubbed "The Golden Order" has been established, i shall become its first scholar and have commissioned some scroll rollers to make some writting materials. I have made the new hallway become the link between Tavern and Trade Depot to help guide our visitors and so they don't walk though our hen house. Fine Rocksalt doors to keep up our look.

We have also began to smooth everyones rooms, making them much more nicer and appealing to live in. Which is making people much more happier i am sure of it.

A good sign in The Devourer of Creation is our master musician is still around and performing. Due to its slow growing popularity i think me next efforts are to entice visitors to check it out by getting more seating and various other decor.

Drunken scholar

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2022, 05:45:37 pm »

Not sure yet how I feel about the new graphics for smoothed rock walls/floors. There's nothing wrong with them, just... I dunno. The ASCII walls always felt so neat and clean to me, and that's kinda gone now. The rough rock is always visible to the player, even behind the polished surface.

That all sounds pretty dwarfy though, now that I think of it. I dunno.

klonk
Sigtext

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2022, 06:01:01 pm »

Not sure yet how I feel about the new graphics for smoothed rock walls/floors. There's nothing wrong with them, just... I dunno. The ASCII walls always felt so neat and clean to me, and that's kinda gone now. The rough rock is always visible to the player, even behind the polished surface.

That all sounds pretty dwarfy though, now that I think of it. I dunno.
Whilst i don't mind that its kinda sad to see wall engravings don't show unless hovered over.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14