Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - I keep losing dwarves to madness and unfulfilled fey moods.  (Read 1236 times)

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I've read the wiki, but I still have no clue how to fulfill some of these wishes.

Bone — There's literally infinite bones outside, they are not forbidden, from the millions of dead creatures. They are in a stockpile

Cloth — Seems to me to be plenty around too, is there some trick to make them take it?

Leather, same thing.

Seriously, I can't figure it out. Do they need to be in a specific stockpile?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Help - I keep losing dwarves to madness and unfulfilled fey moods.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:00:36 pm »

Are there dead creatures in a stockpile or the actual butchered resource bones?

Occasionally I see mooded dwarves who are asking for multiple things, at least one of which is available. Normally, this means they're stuck on just one of those resources.

My guess would be that it's cloth, as dwarves can desire any of the three textile types and forts rarely have all three (yarn, silk, and plant cloth)

There's no stockpile issues, really. If it's on the map, they'll go find it as long as they can walk to it (not sealed off with walls, doors or bridges).

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 09:34:03 am »

Hmmm. I see. So, perhaps it's wise to keep the three stacks of cloth somewhere at hand forever?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 12:23:34 pm »

The wiki will say the dwarf collects components in the order the dwarf mutters them... so if you use 't' to look inside the workshop for TSK'd items, then you should be able to see what components were collected and then see what is missing...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 12:55:27 pm »

there are some subtleties to the mood system. like the fact some dwarves might demand a specific variety of cloth, or silk. I'm honestly not sure how specific it can be but the wiki will fill you in. sometimes you might find a dwarf asking for the same thing twice - like delphonso said, this can clue you in to the need for a specific variety.

not sure about the bone thing. I would try butchering a creature, since the freshly produced bones will be instantly grabbed by the mooding dwarf, if those are in fact the items requested.

yeah. oldest trick in the book is to buy all kinds of materials including shells, glass, metals, etc from the traders, just to cover your bases in case of a mental breakdown strange mood

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 08:06:38 pm »

Glass and shells are a must buy for sure.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 08:18:20 pm »

buy all kinds of materials including shell

I thought this was the only one that can't be bought? Unless you trade for a butcherable creature that has a shell, like a desert tortoise.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 03:43:44 pm »

Skeletons don’t count as bones and I don’t think there is any way to “deconstruct” (aka butcher) a skeleton to get the bones out. Bones normally come from butchered livestock, but monster bones can be very valuable if you can get them butchered.

One of the main potential benefits of trading is to obtain a few samples of different kinds of cloth and shells to have on hand for moody dwarves.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 07:29:46 pm »

Be aware that shells cannot be acquired via trading -- any turtles, crustaceans, or shellfish purchased from traders have already been processed and had their shells removed.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 11:53:31 pm »

ah, my mistaken advice .

It has been reported that in v0.31, a cave lobster does not produce a shell. Unlike in previous versions of the game, shells are not left behind when a dwarf cooks or eats a shelled creature.

this goes to show just how muddled my knowledge of DF is, spanning as many versions as it does... this makes things exciting

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 11:04:39 pm »

there are some subtleties to the mood system. like the fact some dwarves might demand a specific variety of cloth, or silk. I'm honestly not sure how specific it can be but the wiki will fill you in. sometimes you might find a dwarf asking for the same thing twice - like delphonso said, this can clue you in to the need for a specific variety.

It is always very specific. Silk-derived cloth (Silk cloth), animal yarn-derived cloth (wool cloth, etc), and plant-derived cloth (usually just called "cloth") are different substances and the dorf will decide which it wants. When they go through the list, they might only be missing one ingredient, but the dorf will continue to ask for all of the ingredients, it's up to you to work out which is the missing one. And thread is not cloth: So they could ask for thread and cloth of different types, or the same type.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 11:28:58 am »

Shells seem to be the hardest thing to get now.  The DFHack command "showmood" will reveal all the details if you can't figure it out otherwise. 

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 03:34:11 pm »

Shells seem to be the hardest thing to get now.  The DFHack command "showmood" will reveal all the details if you can't figure it out otherwise.

Yeah, I was meaning to ask about that for a while now.

How do you guys get shells? And more importantly, store them? They seem to be very low priority items to be picked of to a bone stockpile, and they are conventionally unavailable by caravans. Do I have to catch pond turtles? How do I get the dorfs to carry them before they disintegrate?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 08:23:01 pm »

How do you guys get shells? And more importantly, store them?

Pond turtles & mussels usually. Then there's the occasional desert tortoise and other such shelled creature. Also, FBs sometimes have shells. If there's none of those available, well, then the poor moody dwarf will go insane. Nothing much you can do (and pretty much the only time moods fail).

To store them, I usually make a refuse stockpile that accepts only shells. I don't think I've seen any shells ever disintegrate in the pile, but if that's a concern, you could just delete the stockpile after the shells are hauled there and forbid them (then unforbidding them when a moody dwarf needs them)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 02:04:30 am »

I'm pretty sure stockpiled shells don't break down. They do if they're not in a stockpile though. If you've got a real problem with vermin, stable a cat over the shells to kill the vermin. You will need to de-shell the turtle or mussel before the shell ends up on the stockpile. If you are lucky enough to have them fished out of the water, make sure you have a fishery, for mussel shell removal (the mussels should end up in roasts, they're good eating too!).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!