Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Spry Volcano  (Read 3106 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: The Spry Volcano
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 07:08:12 am »

one of the survivors of the cavern 'test' enjoys a simple pleasure, in the central dining hall:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, nothing is better than a good strawberry for a meal at a *cobaltite table*!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 11:52:12 am »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 01:27:53 am »

the ghosts are everywhere
all those dead, and no one knew their names...

at least six spirits haunt this fortress. scaring child and warrior alike. here are the few I saw:

Story of the Sword Militia

After the death of Tun, the trio of Smiths was now a mere duo. They seemed skittish around us, as if we might rise up in rebellion. So when the next wave of migrants arrived, they gave them a set of training weapons and locked them in the stonewall barracks, on the surface.

"Train. Fight. If you do not die, you will become one of us!"

Story of Dead Third Smith

Tun's death seemed a random occurrence, but that did not stop Olon the Smith from interrogating each and every one of us on his last known whereabouts. Nothing ever came of this interrogation, at least that us underlings know about. And as far as we could tell, the smiths had zero suspicion of one another.

Story of the Ghost of Tun

Tun's return shocked us. His ghostly apparition floated up from the floor and grasped at the many barrels of stocked booze. "One last drink! I need one more drink before I go!" he would wail.

. . .continued building . . .

The Smiths decided to brick up the cavern entrance. That bird thing was too much to fight, with the paltry recruits from this last wave. More training was ordered.

one of the orphaned children went beserk after being haunted by her ghostly parents for many months.

The Spry Volcano is not a happy place.

=========

Below, the under-dwarves, the fugitives, hatched a plan. Escape. Dig straight up.  And bring enough fish-pots and wine-pots to satisfy them during the desert crossing.

Then, a siege. Fighting. Death. The Smiths did not allow the recruits weapons, and we could see them smiling as they were pushed out of the gate into the waiting bolts of the goblin horde.

Some survived, but our forces were decimated, maimed. The Smiths seemed jubilant, and we heard a passing comment as they reviewed the casualties.

"This is just as good a test of their capabilities, and much more efficient. Olon, I think we're on to something here!

If only Tun was here."

=======

The fugitives escape through the side entrance, narrowly avoiding the sieging goblins, and leave Spry Volcano forever, hauling their pots of cavern-brew on makeshift sand-sleds, escaping to the west and towards the Mountainhome.

Except one. One dwarf Zas Stroketome returned to the fortress and snuck their way down to the caverns. There, she lay in wait, until she saw Lorbam the militia commander, and pounced.

"You will die for entombing me and my kin!"

"Wha . . ? Who the hell are you?"

Lorbam, of course, had no idea who or what the 'untested' were as he had migrated after the first deadly attack by the forgotten beast, and the subsequent decision to wall in the first cavern. As far as Lorbam knew, there WERE no other dwarves in this desert. The shock of this appearance of allowed Zas to sneak in a few hits.

But Lorbam had led sparring demonstrations for a few months now, and was well versed in fistfighting his own kind. The felling blow was a punch to the head.

"Who was this woman? Covered in dirt and stinking like distilled mud. Did we forget her in a locked room, or something. . ? I'll have to ask the Smiths about this."

"Why would she try to kill me?"

==========

Below, in the second cavern, 8 legs crept up the wall. Waiting.

A dwarven child stumbled upon the drained corpse of Vucar. A wounded giant spider lurks nearby.... how could it be dangerous, with all those broken legs?

But those eyes, so alive. . . No!

Four dwarves dead before anyone could halt them. The spider was freakish and strung huge curling webs from the cavern walls. Dwarves, locked in place, their swords and spears caught in the goo.... eaten alive. Envenomed, crushed, pulpated.

Then, while the created munched upon a hapless Mason, Heroic Ezum landed a killing blow on the spider's midsection. The creature whipped around to attack, but tore itself apart, leaking a brown fluid and screaming as it died.

Then, shouting. The drink pile! Fuck!! Iden snapped, he's ballistic!

But heroic Lorbam is there, with one of those freshly-forged iron swordblades.

Wow, the precision! His first strike blinds Iden, cutting out his eyeball. Quickly followed by a decapitating blow.

======

the following images tell the sad story of Ezum, hero, killer of Ilunesdor, giant cave spider, who turned to thievery and was subsequently beaten to death after our Spearguard caught up to him. I wonder who he was working for?

======

The fourth years summer solstice is heralded by this masterful creation, by Olon the Smith himself:

The total population is 65, after four years, and the escape of the fugitive 'untested'.

The flooding of the smelt-channels:

space made for future craft shops:

the base takes shape:

yeah, it's that kind of fortress  :-[ :

um, I'll just let this one go:

The supporting ramps are almost complete:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:31:49 am by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 04:35:08 am »

Dang that's gonna be one big pyramid, I wonder what it's for?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 08:14:21 am »

That's a slight ghost problem you got there.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2022, 02:12:06 am »

no real update today. I have elected to push forward regardless of my ability to maintain the narrative.

finally, an honest-to-goodness werewolf.

Olon the Baron-Smith looks onward at Erush, captured infected werewolf, now locked in a barren chamber near the caverns. An unusually creative idea came to his mind. It would involve the newest migrants, a lever, and a small amount of bloodletting. . .

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:18:12 am by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2022, 04:55:51 am »

You know I don't think I've ever seen an actual werewolf in the game, I wasn't even sure they were a thing but I guess they are.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 10:14:24 am »

I haven't seen an actual werewolf in the game either. Seen screenshots though and heard tales of such things.

Maybe one day, I too, will witness a true werewolf...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2022, 09:58:46 pm »

life is brutal and short at The Spry Volcano. Olon, the second smith, died for unclear reasons. It is almost as if the game itself is sabotaging the work here. Hordes of green demon-birds (known as Giant Keas) storm the walls and steal entire stone blocks, surely to construct their gigantic nest towers in faraway lands.

Gremlins poke and prod from every angle, pulling levers and filling doorjambs with wadded up mushroom, thus letting in all kinds of beasts.

Another demon bird arrived and still holds hostage a majority of the Untested corpses in the first cavern layer.

This has resulted in the mass arrival of all kinds of michevious ghosts. At first, only the slightest strange events were noticed, including strange chanting during sleep hours, and the occasional rude insult heard through the walls.

But then, dwarves started dying, with their faces left in contorted painful expressions of animal fear. Two have died in this manner, and the body of the responsible spirit cannot be located, and surely lies in the inaccessible first cavern.

At one point, a gaseous lizard attacked. This was horrifying as the previous gaseous creature released a slow poison that killed multiple dwarves over three days after that fight, with them dropping dead for unknown reasons just as they were leaving the hospital post-recovery.

Experimentation with were-transformations has resulted in less-than-satisfactory results. The original werewolf Erush was killed during the process of blood transfer. The new werewolf, Sibrek, proceeded to murder the other three dwarves who were not so lucky as to receive the curse. It is still unclear to me how to best propogate the infection without the resulting culling of lives by the sole victor. However, Sibrek the (new) Werewolf remains alive, if insane, living in a sort of terrible room partitioned off in the second cavern.

A visitor arrived, demanding artifacts. What a fool.

The state of the pyramid.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:29 pm »

Hordes of green demon-birds (known as Giant Keas) storm the walls and steal entire stone blocks, surely to construct their gigantic nest towers in faraway lands.

Can dwarves never be safe from these vile abominations?

Ah, yes, I too can only sleep well when I know that priceless artifacts are stored in unknown buildings.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 04:03:27 am »

Ah, yes, I too can only sleep well when I know that priceless artifacts are stored in unknown buildings.
How can he return with it if he doesn't even know which building to take it to?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 01:47:51 am »

a toothy visitor. . .

. . . glass monkeys . . .

. . . then, a terrible mistake!

"Fill the gap! Evacuate the surviving miners!" shouted Zefon, the Smith, the one dwarf responsible for the final checkoff on all mining designations, thus the one dwarf responsible for this breach. Many stories are told of this very thing, and most end in dismal and fire-y death.

Here, Zefon succeeded, or rather, those around him helped him survive his own terrible mistake yet again. As one might imagine he claimed his own performance a pure feat of heroic leadership, directing terrified dwarves to haul stone blocks and mortar the gaps with the proper mixture of cement. Lava-tight construction is difficult enough as it is without the fear of dying to that lava should you fail.

Unfortunately, this lava had to come from somewhere, and it wasn't long before the glassmakers complained that their furnaces had gone dark.

The flickering, cooling vats of half-melted sand signaled yet another roadblock on the path to finishing this great construction.

===

Below, a heavy thunk as a lever is pulled. Yet another Gremlin tinkering with the machinery, except this time the creature has activated the only lever that matters in the entire fortress.

Sibrek the once-bitten "Herbalist" turned Werewolf immediately burst from the enclosed room and ran towards the surface. It was unlikely any of the new recruits would recognize Sibrek, covered in blood as they were. The blood might surprise them at first but in all honestly it was a common enough thing to see a dwarf painted red, returning to the surface after a violent fight or whatever.

So when Sibrek sidled up to an unassuming visitor poet in one of the temples, just as the moon was rising above the hill, there was no one to witness the horrible transformation and terrible violence.

Jaws dripping blood, Sibrek burst through the southern door, but immediately encountered one of the Spearguards, the elite personal guard meant to defend the Smith and their entourage. This guard (whose name I did not record) swung around and struck many times, severing the spine of the foul creature, and in so doing removing the threat. This was incredibly lucky for the fortress. So Sibrek the Werewolf died.

Of note is the fact the visiting poet was killed praying to Fimshel, god of Death and War. It is said by our culture that temples of Fimshel must be consecrated in the blood of a murdered soul before any prayers might reach their place of heavenly repose. . . the gods are interfering at The Spry Volcano, for better or for worse.

===

A vengeful ghost strikes again, but this time there is no question: this was targeted.

Zefon, the final Smith, the last of the brutal overlords who founded this place, and ordered many terrible punishments upon the almost two hundred migrants who saw fit to seek work here, and saw fit to architect this gigantic pyramid for unknown, ritualistic purposes, lay dead, contorted in fear. Moments earlier, the usual subdued merriment of the few workers on their short breaks, coupled with the much more unhinged dancing and singing of the various bards that settled here to entertain us, was interrupted by a piercing, hollow scream that sounded like death itself. The dining room grew quiet as people noticed where it came from, Zefon, with his ornate collared robes and the sketching tablets he always carriered around, tallying this or that, was dead.

No one said it out loud, but many of those present looked one another in the eyes, all thinking the same dark thought.

"Thank Fimshel, the Smith is Dead!"

One of the newbies was told to move the corpse to the refuse pile. The leader of the axe fighters, the first commander Deler Unionwinds, had been secretly voted leader after surreptitious meetings over the past weeks.

Under Deler's leadership The Spry Volcano would live on. But with some changes.

====

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 08:26:45 am »

Oh dang the smiths are all dead and now we'll never know the propose of the pyramid.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 08:43:52 am »

I blame the goshdarned Unions!

Epic story so far. An actual werewolf!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 09:48:21 am »

Oh my, quite the incident with the magma. Looks like a close-call.

And nice twist of events with the last Smith dying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3