Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Pathfinder TTRPG One-Shot  (Read 680 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Pathfinder TTRPG One-Shot
« on: September 20, 2023, 04:18:43 pm »

I ran a one-shot back at the end of July. It was based in and around an old fortress I built and played for a long time. I got really great reviews from the players and a lot of them were excited to finish up our current campaign and play more in this world actually. I'm posting it so others can use it or even just get ideas from it if you want! It is a roleplay heavy campaign. Combat can be hard at times, but is placed with intention of emphasizing the roleplay portions.

Background:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The City

Races

Religion

The Actual Campaign
Hook:

Who Are You?

The Story
The entire story for the campaign will be spoiled in this section just so you are aware...

What Is Your Plot Twist?

How Did My Party Do?

I hit max characters so I am gonna have to make another post including details about locations, npcs and what not.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Pathfinder TTRPG One-Shot
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 04:19:15 pm »

SwordBurn District Listing

Maps
If you're making maps for this campaign I actually recommend using dwarf fortress. I built each district in my fortress and screen shotted the design and used it for our game.

Questions for the DM

If you've gone through all this and still need some other information for me to add let me know!
I'll go ahead and say now that I don't use standard stat blocks normally. Normally I hand-create each stat block I'm gonna use so the encounters are more properly catered to my party's set up. So, I don't keep a list of statblocks available.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 06:20:18 am by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 06:21:45 am »

There done sort of
If you have read this all I am impressed!
If you want more info let me know and I can add it to the second post as it still has space!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 01:32:37 am »

Ooh very cool i'll give it a look.  For a long time i've been thinking about having a campaign set in one of my DF worlds..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 08:12:41 pm »

nicely compiled, Maloy. a lot of crossover between the systems so its cool to see someone go through and actually make this campaign.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 05:51:17 am »

nicely compiled, Maloy. a lot of crossover between the systems so its cool to see someone go through and actually make this campaign.
Thank you! It was way more work compiling into a readable form lol. When I DM my notes make no sense to anyone other than me, because they are mainly there as reminders rather than a hard script.

Ooh very cool i'll give it a look.  For a long time i've been thinking about having a campaign set in one of my DF worlds..
I think it's very possible and I realized playing this one that you have to prepare your players that this isn't a DND world. In mine magic was rare and other races were limited and that is actually very different from base DND

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 12:21:41 pm »

After positive reception from my crew and personal inspiration i've been developing the surface world for an upcoming homebrew campaign.

This combines my two favorite kinds of dwarf fortress worlds:

1. Newborn worlds that are still filled to the brim with monsters and places to discover
2. Ancient ruined worlds with a history begging to be discovered and dangerous threats hiding round the corner

The map is drawn from the same dwarf fortress world I generated that Swordburn was originally in and so world history and shape is all dwarf fortress even if the setting it is taking place in will be more pathfinder with dwarf fortress flavoring.
This one is actually being written out as a proper module since it will be an open world instead of a driven narrative.

Hook:

This is a map of the old world before the Collapse

The party will be given this map and a blank one for them to record the new world upon.

Gameplay:

Custom Mechanics

The tone the campaign wants to communicate is how unfeasible adventuring lifestyle is in the long term and it is in the player's best interest to accrue as much wealth as they can by the time this ends.

My previous campaigns I rely heavily on NPCs to communicate everything to the players, but what I'm wanting to do is really show them stories, histories and lands through discovery and let THEM add meaning and character to it as they learn more about stuff.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:30:58 pm by Maloy »