Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Weary Warriors: Histories of Resignation and Rally  (Read 7266 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: The Weary Warriors: Histories of Resignation and Rally
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2023, 09:23:00 am »

Chapter 19: Whose Ox

111 Sa 17
The tunnel is considerably deep at this point, and already branches out into the first of many rooms to come.  Apparently there is some trouble getting it aligned, despite using compass and squares.  The rough obsidian walls are admittedly tantalising as they warp and ripple.

I have taken count of the food stocks and consumption.  My estimate is that we are two weeks short of making it through winter, much to general frustration and Asmëls chagrin specifically.  We cannot count on trading with the elves and do not know how to make longboats like theirs, so gathering during the flood seems unlikely.

111 Sa 25
It has taken much convincing from Čogon, imposing downpour, and yelling on Asmëls part, to get the next houses built on stilts.  Maintenance will be annoying in the rain, and cost more wood.  We have already thinned out a wide area around Ritharthikthog and the ground threatens to become treacherous soon.

Some Weary Warriors are experienced with wilderness and offer to hunt and gather light lumber from farther away.  Såksël has already been doing that to some extent, but one of the queen's dwarves is a competent tracker and marksdwarf.  As such, Vutam Åkiš will lead a party to seize afforementioned resources.

Commander Amöst expressed his worry by arguing about training schedules and the party's familiarity with local wildlife, then made sure Üsën can treat any hypothetical injuries.  They're allowed to go now.

111 Ti 10
The hunting party has returned with backpacks full of meat, and lumber strapped to it.  They had tracked buffalos and awaited an opportunity to fell one of the enormous beasts.  When one finally strayed from the herd, it took two bolts to the shoulder.  Nevertheless, it spotted and charged at the hunters, followed by its kin.  The dwarves fled unto trees, Vutam being the only one to get gorged at all.

Eventually, the buffalos noticed a lack of hostilities and gave up.  By the time Vutams wound was treated, the injured prey fell behind and was eventually abandoned.  What couldn't be cut up and hauled is still there, about half a day from Ritharthikthog.

A small celebration is due, and the party will head out tomorrow to gather the rest.  Vutam must stay to have her infection treated.  She takes the threat to her fitness surprisingly well.  "Worst case, I'll just learn to shoot from a chair."

111 Ti 22
The dam around the tunnel entrance is done, just in time for puddles to merge into a dirty mirror across the surface.  Roofing needs to be secured, other than that we are prepared for winter.  Our stocks are bolstered.  Vutam is able to walk again, albeit she won't be running at this rate.

The Weary Warriors are ready to celebrate the anniversary.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2023, 09:03:22 am »

I forgot to publish last week.  Why did nobody remind me? :(  Oh well, double-whammy this week. ;D

Chapter 20: A Land Before Time

111 Mo 20
Today, we celebrate anniversary, starting with the making of wood crafts.  Plenty of rice beer is flowing already, and the remaining buffalo gets roasted over peat fire.

Through the curtain of annual downpour, elves arrived just in time to see a blaze devouring the crafts.  Once again, Ritharthikthog makes a poor impression on the neighbors, though at least the meat and its savoury smell were gone at that point.

I remember two of them from last year: The trader Aweme Thituwo climbed onto the walkways with ease, despite holding an umbrella in his hand.  Ricote Leface asked us to halt and explain.

"It is the one-hundred-and-eleventh year since Sosad Måmgoz' defeat!  And the sixtieth year since its death."  Asmël carried on with sparkles in his eyes.  "These crafts remind us of all which the terrible ivory dragon took from our anchestors."  This was a rare moment where gauging an elfs age was possible from their reactions:  Some nodded with understanding (though not necessarily approval), others simply eased as they recollected childhood memories, and a few were confused.

Fastis drew attention with an impression of the beast.  Tongues of flame obscured her mouth, letting her graying nacarat hair shine almost ivory.  "I am the dragon, age-old and greedy!  All burns and melts in the bottomless hatred that fuels my fiery breath!  Umåm!  I soar across the legendary lands!"

Ustir stepped in the way.  "Can you maybe not run around with burning timber?"  She dodged well before Fastis reached her.  "No heroes can defeat me, try as you might!"

"This madness must end!"  Aweme had put the umbrella aside and gave a stern look, but then played along.  "Friends beneath earth, the druid has dreamt of an artefact as the source of the dragons power.  Bring your steel picks and we shall destroy it."  Mattöl played the second fellow:  "No proper artefact can be damaged so easily.  It unites the forces of rock, fire, and sky.  Only where they meet, it can be undone."

Soon, we had the whole fellowship, with elves substituting the humans.  "As the best-travelled man of the Ivory Kingdom, I know the whole east.  (note by Bromek: The kingdom did not actually exist at the time.)  Come winter, the ocean of rings will freeze over and we can reach the Ring of Bitterness, where mountains spew ash."  …  "Make off with the slab, 'ere Sosad Måmgoz catches on!  My shield shall break its pursuit."  …  "Foul murk rains from the skies?  These wretched jackals have wings like bats would.  Clearly, evil lands surround our destination."  …  "Reject the temptations!  The dragon is far away at the mountains of light.  This is our chance to cast the slab into the magma sea!"

Såksël concluded the performance with a wicked laugh.  "Now the skies and the entire east belong to the harpies.  Brace yourselves for a new fright after the great terror."  Fastis called for encore.  "Or should I say reprise?  Fifty years thereafter, Sosad Måmgoz would find its flightless way back and threaten to scorch the valley-between."  "And was heroically struck down, end of story."  "Ah, come on.  I actually witnessed that one!  Oh well…"

Mëlvil noticed that these accounts are from the human perspective on history, "Agtha Dasar", after the Fellowship.  So we told our foreign friends of "Anam Dimšas", the age of poetry.  They hadn't realised how oppressive the dragons reign was on dwarven culture, how it had shaped our traditions.  They knew about artefacts, and some of the audience gasped as they understood the implications.  They had never seen a dwarven fortress, let alone been in one, so they couldn't have known of the value stone and engravings have.  Our anchestors couldn't keep Sosad Måmgoz from pillaging, but they could build shelter and write history that withstands the fire.  Detailed records often burned, cracked or crumbled, but the big shapes of a bas relief cannot melt nor scratch to the point of illegibility.

And with that last part of dwarven perspective, the elves understood why poetry has its esteemed place in the Clan of Matching.  It is the freedom to not only record history, but to make copies of detailed reports such as this one, to describe and share understandings no matter your rank or role in society, and to tell stories that withstand the tooth of time.  The Shipdip Library of Wisdom and the Nadasrek Vault of Learning are only possible in the Age of Poetry.  They are beacons of a long-suppressed desire for legacy, the likes of which the elves seem content without.

And yet, much to our surprise, our visitors appreciated it.  They likened it to their toymaking, a kind of legacy we dwarves often overlook.  The legacy is not written on a wall, but circulates and reverberates through civilisation, like a ripple in a lake.  Elves concentrate all their key beliefs and desires into trinkets to peddle.  But those are also memoirs, evidence of a culture and faith that hasn't and couldn't be recorded verbally anywhere.  Within these toys and the joy they spark, a legacy hides in plain sight.

Needless to say, we all had much fun celebrating after these tender moments.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2023, 09:05:35 am »

Chapter 21: Spine

111 Op 06
Diorite has been struck by the miners.  It is speckled and streaked with hornblende.  The obsidian layer has proven deeper than two storeys.  For the purpose of carving rock crafts, we focus on digging the mundane stone beneath.

The guards are queasy thinking about alligators.  One such predator had seated itself on the walkways yesterday, ingoring any attempts at removing it, until a spear splintered between its teeth.  Two months prior, Vutam had seen an alligator idly holding a dead badger in its maw, as if it were an accessory or trophy.

111 Op 17
As expected, there is not much to do.  Therefore, stone carving has become a sought-after activity among those who are not content with chatting all day.  Personally, I have been trying to turn the local sedge into paper, a writable material previously only known from the Empire.  It is thought to be worse than parchment for almost all purposes, but should suffice for note-keeping.  Ricote outlined the process last month, when I narrowly avoided mentioning vellum.  That would have cost me my hide.

111 Op 26
Cavern!  The miners have just breached a chamber harbouring fungus and lichen.  There is a passage leading farther.  As a precaution, Asmël has ordered an armed exploration party, lead by Amöst.  I will document the discoveries as soon as the area is deemed safe.

No end has been found yet.  Long-dried waterways lead to ponds, teeming with algae and unfamiliar cave fish.  Chambers and crevices join in a web of locations.  Mapping this will be an ideal test for my first sheet of paper.

Walls of andesite and granite are adorned with distinct triangular crystals, almost certainly copper ore.  Some of the fruit could be a close relative of domestic plump helmet, suggesting this cave system was and may still be connected to the ones far away beneath the mountains.

We have given up on securing the whole vast cavern.  The immediate surroundings appear to be safe at the moment, allowing a sturdy gate to be constructed.  In the meantime, I will consult with Čogon regarding my map.  It wasn't meant to be entirely accurate.  Even so, it has a strange warp to it.  Perhaps the obsidian is not to blame for the misshapen rooms so far.

111 Ob 02
The Weary Warriors have grown increasingly curious about the geometry in Ritharthikthog.  Rumours and dubious theories are gaining traction.  We are certain the compasses are inaccurate in some consistent fashion.

Asmël had refused to send any more expeditions, until we talked through each argument for and against.  Most significantly, we fear some people would go through the gate by themselves and unprepared.  Thus, the same party as last time – plus myself – is heading towards what we extrapolate to be points of interest.

We found nothing noteworthy at the first location.  Amöst keeps calling this a bad idea and a waste of time, yet he insists on taking the lead.  Clearly, he doesn't trust his troops, each for either inexperience or youth.

The second location is not accessible via the cavern and gets skipped.

The third location is a wide open cave.  Just across a pond stands the cause of the compass anomalies.  An enormous column of dark crystal rises from the ground, twisted and tied, only loosely supported by surrounding banatite.  It reaches into and upholds the flat obsidian ceiling, above which we presume to be a nigh-endless supply of bogwater.

Held back by the pond, and wary of crocodiles, we could only admire its sparkle and shine in the torchlight.

None of the party seem to recognise this as magnetite, but it is only a matter of time before somebody does.  I will warn Asmël to make adequate preparations, lest people get much closer and break it.

The geology of Ritharthikthog vaguely resembles that of Kiruna, Sweden and El Laco, Chile.  Their exact origins are highly debated, but the general consensus is that they are based on volcanic activity.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2023, 01:12:55 pm »

Chapter 22: A Taste of Famine

Music Recommendation: Guns N Roses – November Rain

111 Ob 07
Now that a part of the caverns has been secured and deemed safe, the Weary Warriors are eager to do metalworking and claim some privacy and space during the seasonal flood.  Mayor Asmël rejects those and other ideas, instead demanding more crafts to deal with the humans.

As a compromise, Båb arranges for the quarry to become a kitchen of oblivion once enough stone has been mined.  The sole architect of Ritharthikthog, Čogon, is glad to distract himself from the dilapidating stilt huts, but disagrees with the "oblivion" part.  Besides his usual scepticism of "the old ways", he does not seem to hold Mišar Nar in high regard.

Nevertheless, this seems to be the most consented course of action, since most dwarves simply want something new to do or look forward to.

111 Ob 10
Dodåk has given birth to a gnome in Rabîl's likeness.  Üsën's child can only be a matter of days anymore, as well.

111 Ob 14
A platform collapsed, plunging many supplies – mostly food and seeds – into the wet abyss which has besieged the surface all winter long.  Asmël quickly had me prognose food stocks, with the newfound cave plants in mind.  He even told off Tosirid so I could count uninterrupted.

Knowing we won't hunger calms the crowd.  Yet ill whispers circulate, blaming Čogon's recent defiance of the deities for this misfortune.  In response, he merely announced to consider zoning out a garden and tombs in the adjacent caves, once we have the workforce spare to secure them.  This is obviously not repentance, only a feeble attempt at appeasing those worried tongues.

111 Ob 21
Båb did not check the progress towards our goal for trade goods today.  Turns out Üsën has given birth, and he has been tending to her and their heinzel child since.  I only found out because Detam insists on running all sorts of errands for her new brother, to the extent she can pronounce the words.  For all I know "Kugë" could be meant as Commontongue, Deep-dwarvish, or Goblinese.

112 Gr 01
The flood is receeding as expected, revealing the lost, now-burst crates of spoiled food.  Many of the remaining poles and stilts are also unsound and need to be replaced ere another structure falls apart.

Meanwhile, the current quarry will be furnished as a kitchen as soon as the stone crafts can be taken outside without sinking into the soil.

112 Gr 12
As if by a miracle, we find crops thriving all throughout Ritharthikthog.  Ustir tried to hide her smile at the sight.  "It was a blessing in disguise, that we lost those seeds when we did."  I had paid too little attention to the waterflow and soil quality than to confidently come to such a conclusion.  Nevertheless, we should try sowing rice early next year.

The Weary Warriors look forward to a feast.

"Kugë" totally means "cookie".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 11:12:18 am by Mobbstar »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2023, 11:15:43 am »

Chapter 23: Before A Storm

Music Recommendation: Polyphia – Goose

112 Gr 22
It occurs to me that I have been occupied with maintaining the books and plans of Ritharthikthog, all the while neglecting the social happenings among the Weary Warriors.

The most prominent topic is Asmël, who has been increasingly aggressive about all matters.  The squabbles – authority contests if you will – with Dodåk got frequent and bad enough that she withdrew from labour organisation altogether.

Båb and I believe Asmël worries too much about the queen's plan possibly failing;  We are making exactly as much progress as we had hoped.  Tosirid puts it this way:  He already did his part as mayor by letting the right people work towards it.

According to Amöst, his worry may stem from witnessing Zansongtorad Limul's rampage in Zansongzulban.  Seems the two dwarves have been bonding over their scores with the ancient colossi, despite – or perhaps because of – their common arguments.  I do not see how the present threat of a dubious band of militants compares to an age-old unstoppable force of violence and annihilation.

The "queen's dwarves" are broadly accepted as Weary Warriors nowadays, especially Vutam, who still limps from the hunting injury.  Thiknas is the exception, as she avoids crowds, pays little attention, and readily retributes slights.  Friendships cannot thrive like this, though my stock records reveal she at least honours favours and gifts in kind.

The children are doing well.  Båb somehow finds time to help Üsën with their youngest, and Detam helps "uncle" Rabîl and "aunt" Dodåk care for their third one.  Darikon and Mattöl would make a weary impression if I didn't know how mirthless they were even before the infant.

Såksël is relieved to be out in the green again.  Her past months consisted mostly of exercise and watching the fortress entrance.  She says the recruits are becoming competent, but an open fight against the humans would still cost us dearly.  Amöst's plan of using the obsidian dam as a fortified position against the riders is not a feasible option in her opinion.

In general, the dwarves are getting sick of crafting trade goods, even if they need not be qualitative.  Nearly everyone – myself included – has made some by now.  The miners are similarly disheartened, though that's nothing unusual for Sästegök.  Fastis seems to enjoy the rotation of company, at least.

The next months will be spent repairing our shelter as much as our fortitude.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 11:18:56 am by Mobbstar »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2023, 11:10:46 am »

Chapter 24: Taken Back

112 Sl 14
Amöst stormed into my room today, demanding to see the immigration records.  I had never seen him this angry – furious even.  He wouldn't explain and left again.  Maybe Mëlvil knows what is going on…

There is commotion among the guards.  Dodåk arrived just now…

Dodåk:  Quiet!  Where is your teacher?
Selonib:  Probably giving Asmël a heart attack.
Asbëk:  Or skinning Thiknas.
Dodåk:  Watch your words, young troll!  What did she do that warrants invoking that crude clown of a mayor?
Selonib:  Well, when she–
Dodåk:  And why has the ting not been called yet?  Go!

We have moved to the obsidian entrance.

Asbëk:  Found her!
* Thiknas steps forth sheepishly.
Amöst:  There you are! You're not getting off the hook now, kid.
Asmël:  You're having us chase you around like after a cemoš drakeling?!  Stand your bunsoth ground!
Mattöl:  Calm down, Asmël.  We'll talk things out, not shout them out.
Dodåk:  And don't call your protégé a kid!  That is unbecoming of your position.
Asmël:  Thiknas is not a guard anymore.
Thiknas:  Wha– I didn't–
Ustir:  Shall the ting be the judge of that?
Amöst:  May as well.  Go ahead!
Tosirid:  Wait, judge of what?
* Asmël fails to find decent words, and Thiknas is frozen with dread.
Amöst:  …Thiknas is underage.

Mëlvil:  How old are you?
Thiknas:  I'm… turning twelve this s-summer.
Bromek:  So that is what the immigration records were about.  Did I take your age down wrong?
Thiknas:  N-No.–
Amöst:  She lied to get into the military.

Dodåk:  Am I to understand child snuck into the military and it took this long to notice?
Bromek:  Only by a difference of one year.
Tosirid:  How much difference does it make for her experience?
Mattöl:  Age doesn't matter for skill.  She must be good enough to have passed.
Amöst:  Passed what?  I told you from the start that these "guards" are hardly better than recruits.  I had no expectations to pass.  Not even crocodiles are afraid of these people, how are they supposed to defend against bandits?  They'd be lucky to defeat an outnumbered foe without losses.  Scratch that, I'd be happy if they could simply drag battle out–
Čogon:  Enough doomsaying!  If ability is the matter, how about we summon somebody to attest for it?
Bromek:  I, for one, surely cannot judge weapon skills, but who can be trusted to?  I mean, Amöst is biased in this case.
Ustir:  Simple.  Såksël!

Såksël:  Well, I do know a few things about fighting beasts.  And I know Thiknas is fierce when sparring, for better or worse.
* The witness suddenly brought forth expert evidence, in the form of tossing Thiknas her spear and striking with her buckler.  The latter took a blow, dodged two, and deflected one, before taking the offense with the blunt end of the spear.  In the end, a low kick knocks the younger of the trolls to the ground.
Thiknas:  Seriously?!  No warning?  Not even an "on guard"?
Såksël:  She's definitely better than a new recruit.  Learned all that in the past season?
Thiknas:  I ha–  Of course I d-didn't twiddle my th-thumbs just because I was "too young".
* The defendant (in both senses of the word) is exasperated at this point.  P.S.:  Tosirid could swear she saw tears welling in those eyes.
Såksël:  Well, I say she's fit for duty.  Maybe not for skirmishes though.  Here, get up.

Båb:  If I may?  Thiknas is your birthname, then?
Thiknas:  That's my chosen name.
Båb:  You're not supposed to choose that before you turn twelve.  It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to–
Čogon:  Thank you, Båb.  We're sorting the military matter out first.

Ustir:  You got sent by the queen, right?  Did she make you do this?
Thiknas:  Huh?
Ustir:  Does the queen know your age?
Bromek:  With due respect, I don't think the queen and Thiknas ever met.
Thiknas:  I don't know her.  Why would I ever parley with the queen?
Tosirid:  Then who sent you to Ritharthikthog?
Čogon:  Did they know you're underage?
Thiknas:  Um, it was…  There was a– a messenger calling for able-bodied fighters to go on an expedition, leaving the very next day.  I had play– I mean, um…  She saw me wield a stick and thought I was fit for duty, and asked my name, and how old I was, and it…  At that moment, it just seemed like a way out. Um…
Mëlvil:  In short, you ran away from home?
* Thiknas slumps, defeated.
Thiknas:  But, um… haven't we all run from home in a sense?
Ustir:  Certainly not.  No.
* Ustir sounds notably irritated.  I wager a guess she remembered her own reason for leaving the valley, but Thiknas thought the remark was to berate her.

The ting retreats into a nearby hut to consult.  It is not as sound-proof as a proper room, but at least we can see through the floor if somebody tries to eavesdrop.

Čogon:  She added a year to her age, other folks shave a couple off.  I don't care.  Her abilities meet our expectations, so there's no harm in letting her be a guard.
Bromek:  She lied in the closest thing we have to official documents, in order to attain rank.  I'm not a pedant for truth, but this here could be a dangerous precedent.
Tosirid:  Ustir, are you angry at her?
Ustir:  What?  No, no.  Mišar Lanzil knows I've snuck away for days when I was her age.  I'm angry at everyone who turned a blind eye to this.  All the people who should've come looking for her by now.  Just think about it!
Mattöl:  You mean…  She doesn't have a home to go back to.
Tosirid:  I guess that rules out banishment, or anything else along those lines.

The ting brooded some more, while Asmël cooled off and asserted the obvious:  Thiknas is guilty of deceit for personal gain.  Then the seven announced the punishment:  She's withdrawn from guard duty with immediate effect, and must serve three months of public labour.  Practically, this just means that she'll be carving and hauling rock crafts instead of sparring and standing watch, until her birthday – and roughly when we expect the humans to return, requiring as many armed dwarves as possible to deter violent escalation.

After the procedure, I asked for her birthname for the records:  Očas.  She then enquired about my transcript and I gave her a copy of the judgement.  I'm not sure what she hopes to gain from it.  Perhaps she isn't either.

I fear there is something important we should have thought to prepare before summer, but I cannot fathom what.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 02:59:38 pm »

Chapter 25: High Noon

Music Recommendation: Corner Boy – The Sea

112 Ma 05
They are here.  Almost a month later than expected, a herd of horses trots onto Ritharthikthog, each one mounted by one or two humans, each of those sporting a wide-brimmed hat.  They brought a wagon of their own, with arches upholding a canvas cover.

Eight armed dwarves take strategic positions around the site, trying their best not to look intimidated by the nineteen armed riders.  Despite our efforts, we are vastly outnumbered, but perhaps we can create the illusion of more armed dwarves waiting underground.  It helps that Fastis twirls her pickaxe demonstratively, a childish gesture that nevertheless suggests the common dwarves be armed too.

Jeñe dismounts her horse (a different one than last time, I believe) and stretches her legs.  They are protected by a kind of leather chausses, with long fringes.  One side is scratched by constantly brushing against a shortsword, the holster doing little to cover the blade.  The other side gets gently tapped by the tip of a whip everytime she takes a step.

Her glare discovers crates upon crates of rock crafts, sure to encumber the caravan.  We will uphold our end of the promise, provided she accepts them.

"This is your 'miraculous metalwork'?"  Asmël plays it off as a joke.  "Ha, no, the bins are just for carrying it.  Though…"  He procures a copper pipe, the kind we use in stills.  "…we only found some copper so far.  To make up for it–"  "Stone.  This junk is made of stone."  "Useful knick-knacks, Jeñe!  These mugs will let you taste juice exactly as it comes out of the barrel, and cleans without a stain!  And look at how shiny the… well there is no obsidian in this crate, let's…"

Tosirid tapped my shoulder.  Pum-Pik is peering out of the wagon.  She calls for Asmël.  "Not now, get me one of the obsidian–"  "What about Pum-Pik?"  "Oh!  Yes, of course!  Jeñe, let us see that nashon gakit, he better be grateful for all th– for his punishment coming to an end."

One gesture is enough to translate this, and the other humans bring the alleged murderer into the sun.  He looks notably worse than last time, gaunt and scarred, and just as unkempt.  Üsën hurries to treat him like a patient.  Clean water and cloth were already prepared, though for a different possibility.

He does not remember me.  I quietly tell him prepared phrases.  "Mistrum itlud batow Pum-Pik.  Semonaf rama."  He does not understand me.  Between talking and scribbling, I noticed one of the humans peering at me sceptically.  If what I felt there is any indication, then perhaps my words were correct, but terror deafens the prisoner in such company.

In the meantime, Asmël has been negotiating the trade.  Surprisingly accurate to the queens words, he tries to make a profit from this, especially given Pum-Pik's condition.  Jeñe does not take his yelling kindly, but maintains her composure.  The tone in her voice unsettles me.  Dodåk bravely joins the situation and calmly argues the order of dwarven society, though Asmël insists he needs no help.

Pum-Pik speaks.  "bora", "cihir", "cilko", —
DENG UCIM MI MUTHRO — SUDEE O IC PAN KIMEN
He just wrote that.  I have to go get the dictionary, even as he pleads, be it for me to stay or for him to come along.  …  "The kaiser names me dead. Helping and I work life."  Despite the risk of misunderstandings, I dare deduct he won't survive leaving Ritharthikthog.

The others agreed to trade the draft bull for the extra crafts that fit on the wagon and in the saddlebags.  The cattle is weary like us, and wary of the crowd.  His hide bears a fascinating pattern of white and black patches and specks, with no gray between them.

While the humans were packing up, we conducted an ostentatious ceremony to conclude the farce of justice that has wreaked its ill humour on Pum-Pik.  Jeñe then instructed him, and he hesitantly stepped towards the caravan.  He glanced at me, a cue I almost missed.  "Does he not want to stay here?"  Jeñe denied that, describing a family waiting for him, which I began to dismiss when the sceptical human from earlier whispered into her ear.  An intense stare later, she all but apologised:  "Why didn't you say so?  If he wants to be a miner for life, he shall."

Our militia and their riders kept hands on weapons as the humans finally set out.  Jeñe's parting words were something along the lines of "Ber urat slodi ngethac".  On the contrary, we do not intend to make Pum-Pik fight cave creatures.

Despite broad confusion, the Weary Warriors are relieved and chatting.  Amöst is sure the riders were at the verge of outright attacking.  Båb is simultaneously impressed by the haggling, yet pities how many excess crafts there are left.  Darikon eagerly tells Asmël everything he could and should have done differently, but the latter pays little mind.  Several curious dwarves ogle the new guest, while others bring him troll-sized clothes and food.

When Pum-Pik saw our interest in the bull's peculiar colour pattern, he said "ebbak".  According to the dictionary, that means "brand".  Given what we know of the human culture, that may be a metaphor.  However, a mark on its hind stands out.  Could it be burnt skin?

It is difficult to believe that the Empire of the West would treat animals like casks or swords – like things – as if specifically to pervert Lanzil and all that is holy about creation and loyalty.  The outrage that propagated through Ritharthikthog may well have been Mišar Lanzil rallying for retribution.

I had to assure Pum-Pik that nobody thinks ill of him personally, though that was not entirely true until Fastis stepped in.  She took what little we knew of our human resident and spun up a tale of how his banditry may well have been for the benefit of the cattle he abducted – or freed, given the context.  While Pum-Pik is no target for blind righteous fury anymore, I will insist on pursuing the full truth behind this vile practice.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 11:05:58 am by Mobbstar »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2023, 11:19:14 am »

Chapter 26: Break

112 Ma 09
The Weary Warriors have calmed down from the human encounter.  The new bull is struggling to get along with the horses and fowl, to the point we put up a fence between "his" part of the stable and the rest.

Pum-Pik is integrating much better.  He is looking healthier already, despite the disproportionate clothes we can offer.  The booze doesn't seem to his liking, or it is too strong for humans.  No matter, Čogon is sharing tea with him instead.  Alas, sobriety means he feels every gnat this time of year, especially when working with the gatherers and woodcutters.  I try teaching him Commontongue and learning his language, but as of yet, it takes minutes to explain something as trivial as "this is an axe, use it to chop that wood there".

112 Ma 17
Asmël called for the mayoral election today, eventhough he'd have another month to his term.  Supposedly, he argued in circles with some others until he ended up at the opposite opinion.

There are no objections, so we hold the debates and thereafter the vote tonight – another concept difficult to translate for our human resident.

The mayoral debates begin.  Asmël is willing to contest again, but instead of candidates stepping forth, people are discussing the prior year.  It has been gruelling, though the newer half of the Weary Warriors seems upset with the wet season and accomodations in general.  Those who had to endure the first winter in Ritharthikthog – myself included – vouch for how much worse this year could have been.  Asmël is so brash that I can hear whispers of "his friends defending him".

Finally, the Weary Warriors are openly discussing Asmël's actions as mayor.  The overall consensus seems to be that he defused the initial human conflict well, but then promised too much and depended entirely on our venerable queen Inet's advice, all the while protesting ours when it was clearly needed.  While I cannot agree with this assessment, the final point rings true:  Asmël is too irritable and volatile to continue his duties as mayor.  As if to prove it, he threw a goblet during the discussion.  This is not the dwarf I consider a friend, and he hardly has dwarven humour anymore, let alone that of a once professional comedian.

Amöst, being militia commander and close friend, convinced Asmël to take a break.  This also broke the large discussion into smaller groups, which I struggle to keep an overview of.

Fastis is running from the group that discussed the caverns, to Üsën worrying about family and medicine, and swiftly to yet another.  This old, cheerful troll is rapidly becoming the center of attention with colourful ideas.  Now Čogon explains what Ritharthikthog would need to expand underground, and Fastis promises miners to spare for making this place a proper fortress.  A tall order, especially given our lead miner – Fastis herself – seems to be running and running as mayoral candidate.  She chisels an elaborate picture of dwarves picking up picks now that we need no more stone trinkets, and that they could change scenery between carving a fortress and mining ore.  Sästegök is excited and encourages others to take this opportunity – he's falling for the illusion of easy glory again.

When asked what we'd do with the ore, Fastis already has a simple plan:  Keep up with the arms race against the humans.  It is true that they came with more armed men the second time, but I point out that this is to be expected given they came to collect valuables this time.  Nevertheless, a raid by human bandits is a plausible threat – one which Fastis intends to tackle head-on, refering to the military and strategic experience she believes among the Weary Warriors.

Asmël returns, mildly amused to be validated in this regard.  Fastis responds with confusion:  "I thought you were going to take a break?"  "I just did!"  "Oh, I thought you meant a break from being mayor.  Y'know, a year of rest.  That was going to be my candidacy promise, to smooth things out until planning work orders isn't a risk to your beard."  The laughter stokes Asmël's face to a bright red.  His rebuttal falls apart quickly when asked why he called election early.

He switches topic to trade, something he likely has far more experience with than Fastis.  She insists we need not trade with anyone in the first place.  "Not even for iron.  If the tales of the spine are true, that is the ore I was talking about.  Bromek, you were there, tell us about it!"

I was stunned.  She must have heard about the spine from a tankard, but even so, no recruit seemed to recognise it as ore, let alone iron ore.  Does somebody know more than they let on?  Or does she have enough experience as a miner to recognise magnetite by vague descriptions alone?  This was too much to think about at once, to the point I cannot remember what I said.

Fortunately, I also didn't notice Asmël supposedly calling me a goblin in response.  A heinzel wouldn't forget nor forgive such an insult, and I am no exception.  I try my best to assume it an exaggerated rumour.

The debate concludes, and the vote commences.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Fastis wins by a large margin.  Asmël came around to thank her for giving him a break, then apologised to me "for whatever it is" he said.  I hope we will at least remember the nice things he said.

Season Two of the Weary Warriors is herewith concluded.  I will interrupt the regular posts again, since I kept forgetting about them anyways, and it's kind of disheartening to not get feedback as frequently.  I will, however, be working on the third season regardless.  Surely this time the hiatus won't last the better half of a year, right?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2023, 04:30:40 am »

What kind of feedback are you looking for?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 [3]