Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress AI Art  (Read 4793 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress AI Art
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2022, 05:07:51 pm »

I don't use a program as my computer is not good enough for the standalone versions of the Stable Diffusion AI tools or other type of AI, so i use one of the websites that use a version of that AI , free and featured enough (provided you log in to enable the advanced features) for the rare use i have of it:
https://www.mage.space/

Here are 5 of the results the AI generated with the following prompt

Some looks rather nice when you look at those pictures from far, but when you look from close what the hell is the AI doing :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:10:38 pm by Robsoie »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:51 pm »

but when you look from close what the hell is the AI doing :D

This pretty much sums my current thoughts on AI art.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 06:10:08 pm »

https://beta.dreamstudio.ai/dream

if you have multiple google accounts you get 200 free generations for each account. you can use this program to upload and modify existing images, as well. be aware it blurs out "nsfw" images, but IMO these are mostly fake positives.

the best results I have had are when you start simple and select the best seed image, and use various modifiers including "painted by <insert historically significant style or artists here>" and descriptions of format. For example, using the opening " a map of " generated this variety of images, which could be applied in TTRPG's or other stories. There is a huge potential here for asset generation in that regard. I honestly was blown away by how I felt after using A.I. generation, it made me question what exactly I was to expect from art in the coming decades.

here are some examples from my current A Wanderer's Romance campaign:

yeah. I avoid human characters and am pleasantly surprised by how landscapes and simple still life subjects come out looking %98 authentic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:12:18 pm by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2022, 04:27:37 am »

yeah. I avoid human characters and am pleasantly surprised by how landscapes and simple still life subjects come out looking %98 authentic.
It all seems to boil down to which AI you use and what your trying to create as to whether it comes out looking good or like a malformed abortion.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2022, 09:07:57 am »

One of the most common methods for generating AI art online now seems to be a program called Stable Diffusion, which was either released or leaked in some capacity for individuals to be able to generate their own, locally at home for free.  I have never used it and can't give support for it or anything, but Googling for Stable Diffusion will result in subreddits to help get started with it and various guides.  There are also different datasets that it's been trained on, so for example you could download a set that's more adept at Disney/Dreamworks animated movie style.  From what I understand, it also requires a pretty hefty modern video card to do it well and in a reasonable timeframe.  The most recent Nvidia 3000 series cards are the standard minimum spec.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I daydream about a mod that will easily or automatically export artifact/statue/engraving descriptions and send them to a feed that automatically generates AI art based on the description.  Even better if it could automatically post to social media for upvotes or downvotes that could help guide the AI in knowing if it did a good or bad job on the image.

What's kind of nice is that dwarven creations are already formatted properly for AI art, since earlier statements in the block of text are weighted more heavily for what the base image looks like ("a granite earring," "a green glass floodgate").

Craiyon is not as good as Midjourney or Stable Diffusion, but an example of the kind of output we could see, I grabbed the artifact description from a Reddit post:

A granite earring. It is decorated with alpaca wool and encircled with bands of birch. This object menaces with with spikes of emu leather. On the item is an image of Olin Yellrazor the dwarf the dwarf in granite. Olin Yellrazor is cringing. The artwork relates to the crushing of the merchant Olin Yellrazor under a drawbridge in Mirrorwatched in the late autumn of 131.

Two more, from old bay12 posts:

This is a raw adamantine bracelet. It is encrusted with ruby and star ruby. On the item is an image of Stukos Woundlashed the dwarf and a palm bed in raw adamantine. Stukos Woundlashed is raising the palm bed. The artwork relates to the masterful palm bed created by the dwarf Stukos Woundlashed for The Purple Mirror at Truthceilings in the early winter of 403. On the item is an image of a forgotten beast in ruby.

A horse leather shield. It is decorated with horse leather and encircled with bands of malachite. It menaces with spikes of fungiwood. On the item is an image of Nish Roadchannels the dwarf and dwarves in iron. The dorfs are refusing Nish, who is making a plaintive gesture. It relates to the removal of Nish Roadchannels from the position of outpost liaison of the dipped arrow in the early winter of 7.

If some sort of feed were developed, I'd think you'd want just one image to be generated, like definitively saying "this is what it looks like" for easy judging of how good a job the AI did.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:19:07 am by UncleSporky »

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2022, 07:07:28 am »

Made in Nightcafe by literally typing in Dwarf Fortress

Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2022, 05:32:31 pm »

omg totally my thing!

here's a few abandoned dwarven mines and tunnel shafts

the elevator

the old mine

dungeon creeper

troglodyte village
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]