Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: butchery in the upcoming version!  (Read 576 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
butchery in the upcoming version!
« on: November 13, 2022, 02:39:05 pm »

this might be worked on, the butcher shop menu has 'butcher an animal'.
 people regularly forget that you need to assign an animal to be butchered in a different menu.

moreover, on the default settings, this happens automatically.

I'm not sure what to do about it, but i guess the (animals) menu should be accessible/show in the butcher's shop

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: butchery in the upcoming version!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 04:56:15 pm »

I think that one of three things should be implemented:

1.  Setting the butcherable flag should be disabled in the animals menu and selecting “butcher an animal” should open a sub-menu that allows selection of the animal to butcher.

2.  Selecting “butcher an animal” should select a random animal from among those set as butcherable in the animals menu (with a “details” option in the butcher shop to open a sub-menu similar to the one in option #1 allowing you to change the selection).

3.  Remove the “butcher an animal” option from the butcher shop altogether and just force users to use the animals menu.

I think I like #2 the best.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 10:09:34 pm »

Doesn't 'butcher an animal' also include the dead things in your stockpiles? I'm always a little confused on that and set repeating butcher an animal jobs to try to get them to not leave animal carcasses to rot. Have a Butcher flag you can put on a dead animal, like Dump or Melt would help this too and make the butchershop more automatic.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:29:40 pm »

There a standing order for that, auto butcher.

The real problem is the not being able to slaughter the corpses of tame animals that died without being specifically slaughtered.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 03:52:57 pm »

ah that's right. I think it's the bugged unbutcherable animals I'm thinking of, I constantly try to set butcher tasks to get rid of them. I'm pretty sure I even make a suggestion for a 'butcherable' stockpile option to work around things like this and nails and feathers showing up in in stockpiles for your butchershop.