Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death  (Read 54221 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2023, 10:00:22 pm »

#4 is the game's software rescale function. 4.3%, 7.440s

Does playing the game at 100% scale help a lot with lowering this number? Then only 8x12 interface/text tiles would still need scaling.

Yes, zoom out twice for 1:1 and it avoids this I think? Keep in mind that it is on the graphics thread and thus has little-to-no impact on FPS

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2023, 11:32:10 pm »

Yes, but negligibly, the main issue here is activities (storytelling, poetry etc.) with dozens or even over a hundred units involved

Did you see what I asked?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Fantastic Damage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2023, 11:40:35 pm »

In my first Steam Edition Fort back at the beginning of December'22 several actions that would spook the game, from strafing the map too quickly to saving the ###ing game
would result in Core 1 of 16 to be at 100%+ Capacity whilst the other 15 were 5-0%. On a 12600KF with 16GB 4000mhz RAM. It Struck me as a little excessive.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2023, 12:50:59 am »

Fascinating results, and I'm currently playing a fortress that I suspect is demonstrating this perfectly. 120 citizens, all caverns+magma revealed (but sealed off), 250 year history, yet still sitting at my 50 FPS frame cap. What's different here? It's a reclaimed worldgen fort.

If the FPS issue was pathfinding, those should be awful - they're expansive and convoluted. But instead I think I'm benefiting from that. Spreading all the workshops and meeting areas through that convoluted space means there's rarely more than a dozen people in one place, and they can't see into neighboring areas at all. I wonder if it further helps that most of the fort was dug out for me already. I get all that space to spread out in, and even a huge surface building to block out the great outdoors, but not thousands of boulders for the game to track.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2023, 02:23:56 am »

Yes, but negligibly, the main issue here is activities (storytelling, poetry etc.) with dozens or even over a hundred units involved

Did you see what I asked?

Yes. Putnam and other people have been talking about this for (approx) 5 years if not more.

Edit: to be more precise this usually was talked about in dfhack contexts (i.e. dfhack irc or discord)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2023, 03:25:21 am »

Yes, I've talked a few times about rewriting basically the whole system to be more structure-of-arrays instead of array-of-structures, with more caching of things in a lot of places, but that's an ordeal. Like, it would take longer to implement than multithreading, albeit easier (a lot more work but it's far less likely to break for mysterious reasons)

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2023, 04:04:29 am »

A dwarf will never meet their grandfather in your fort if their grandfather is not in the fort.
How else are they supposed to know if their grandfather is in the fort?
You can do O(1) existence lookups, like say a hash table of creatures in the fort
Sure, why don't you get right on that.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2023, 10:39:03 am »

SDL2 update is mostly done, I didn't do terribly much in the way of optimization besides the inherent optimization you get from moving to the GPU; however, you can just turn off the rescale function, so at least that's going on.

There's already a texture cache for rescaled stuff, it's just invalidated rather often. A bit less often with SDL2, though.

Kinda wish there was a Linux version of premium to be fair.. Running it in proton is buggy, workable but buggy and very slow for some reason then on native windows.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2023, 07:03:59 pm »

You can do O(1) existence lookups, like say a hash table of creatures in the fort
Sure, why don't you get right on that.

Sure mate just let me fire up my copy of the source code and write it in :')

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2023, 12:59:29 am »

SDL2 update is mostly done, I didn't do terribly much in the way of optimization besides the inherent optimization you get from moving to the GPU; however, you can just turn off the rescale function, so at least that's going on.

There's already a texture cache for rescaled stuff, it's just invalidated rather often. A bit less often with SDL2, though.

Kinda wish there was a Linux version of premium to be fair.. Running it in proton is buggy, workable but buggy and very slow for some reason then on native windows.

working on it, main issue right now is concurrency woes (the game does use multithreading, to an extent, and even the very minor extent it does use it is causing issues lol)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2023, 06:37:13 pm »

(How much space is a 1x1 micro-fort these days?)  Something like the Epyc 7373X, which has the highest *steady state* clock rate of the 768 MB L3 chips, would only set you back around $4k. 
Savegame memory is heavily dependent on world size and history length. The Irritan Anam succession game is a med world with 100 years of pregen history and 7 years of fortress play, and it's only 141MB. The Museum III generated 1000 years with a very large world, and by turn 78 (the one I have on hand) it has gone through a few extra centuries of multiple fortresses and adventurers. It's 766MB, just under the max load of that L3 chip.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2023, 12:58:49 pm »

working on it, main issue right now is concurrency woes (the game does use multithreading, to an extent, and even the very minor extent it does use it is causing issues lol)

Glad to hear this is a Linux issue (and disheartened but good to hear it's on the radar to be addressed). I've had to abandon forts so early because of severe FPS drops with sub-100 populations even. My Windows version is running fine so far.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2023, 10:52:19 am »

Glad to hear this is a Linux issue (and disheartened but good to hear it's on the radar to be addressed). I've had to abandon forts so early because of severe FPS drops with sub-100 populations even. My Windows version is running fine so far.

I haven't tried running it with pure wine however so it may actually run a little better that way. I may try this when I get my gentoo install completed on my laptop.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2023, 05:41:18 pm »

(How much space is a 1x1 micro-fort these days?)  Something like the Epyc 7373X, which has the highest *steady state* clock rate of the 768 MB L3 chips, would only set you back around $4k. 
Savegame memory is heavily dependent on world size and history length. The Irritan Anam succession game is a med world with 100 years of pregen history and 7 years of fortress play, and it's only 141MB. The Museum III generated 1000 years with a very large world, and by turn 78 (the one I have on hand) it has gone through a few extra centuries of multiple fortresses and adventurers. It's 766MB, just under the max load of that L3 chip.

The main reason the museum world save is large is the ridiculous amount of player fortresses (60+) and the fact that the whole world has been explored/visited with people leaving a mess everywhere that needs to be saved.  It's only a medium sized world if you account for the weird dimensions, worldgen was 700 years, but with very low populations because a zombie apocalypse happened.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:44:07 pm by Bralbaard »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2023, 01:15:05 pm »

Native Linux version seems to be working now, but thorough testing is quite difficult, so look forward to that. Mac version will need a setup to compile on.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16