Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow, stockpile and containers  (Read 681 times)

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow, stockpile and containers
« on: November 19, 2022, 04:55:43 pm »

My fortress has a trading depot a ground level, a pasture at -200z (cave 1), and my heavy industry is located at -450z in the magma sea. These alcoholics constantly moving goods from one stockpile to another for months greatly impact the efficiency for my fortress and I want to change that.

My plan is to create a few separate burrow, each with their own meeting hall, temples, etc, all the dwarves belong to one of the three burrows and they shall not leave under any circumstance. Only minecart will be used to transport items and supplies from one burrow to another.

Most thing goes according to the plan, impulse ramp minecart elevator can send metal craft from magma sea to surface and return in less than a few days (and cause many gruesome traffic accidents at the same time), and the dwarves will happily pile their product to the minecart and wave them good bye.

Except alcohol (and food in barrels).

For some accursed reasons, when my dwarves from the food production burrow realize they need to stack their hard earned booze in a minecart and send them to a place they cannot access to, they decide to lose their minds together and refuse to acknowledge the burrow anymore.

My fortress is then spammed by job cancel notification. All dwarves from other burrow want their booze from food production burrow and cant have it, while the dwarves at food production burrow wont do a thing, chaos ensues.

I accept defeat for now and set the booze stockpile at around -300z level in a place everyone can access to,but this is not a good solution. Later I found out this behaviour is related to a bug about items in containers ignoring burrow restriction, not only alcohol, but food in barrel and items in bin will all be affected.

As far as I know dwarves haven't invent a way to transport alcohol without the use of container. I tried dumping the alchol in my reservior and tell my dwarves the water are basically low-alcohol cocktails. They don't agree with me and call me a scammer who want to pass water laced with alcohol as alcohol laced with water ...

All jokes aside, what shall I do?

(TLDR: I want to create burrows, each with their separate booze stockpile. Bug related to containers causes all the booze stockpiles to be useless and job cancel spam. Need a fix.)
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Burrow, stockpile and containers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:43:00 pm »

Do you have the booze stockpiles set to take from links only?  If not, they'd want to pull from those other burrows and generate the job cancellation messages. 

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 11:04:37 pm »

Do you have the booze stockpiles set to take from links only?  If not, they'd want to pull from those other burrows and generate the job cancellation messages.

I assign the hauler from burrow A to send the booze from booze stock pile A to Minecart stop A, after then they will launch the minecart to the Minecart Stop B located at burrow B and dump the booze at Booze stockpile B.

The problems seems to be all the hauler from burrow A wont fill the minecart and want to directly move the barrel to stockpile B, which causes job cancel spam.

I think this is related to this bug.

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11862
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:51:36 am »

I wonder if you set up the hauling route to just take from the upper stockpile, but not give anywhere, if they would load it then?  If so, just have a low friction track stop set to dump to the West at the lower level, and no 2nd stockpile would be needed.

If it is bugged, you could just dig a big 1x1 pit and dump a bunch of barrels down it occasionally.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 01:10:10 pm »

If it is bugged, you could just dig a big 1x1 pit and dump a bunch of barrels down it occasionally.

honestly, I have found separate burrow inventory management through in-game designations and minecarts to be fiddly, game-y, and really not as satisfying as you might expect once you recover from the multiple brain contusions suffered during the process of construction. I will echo Schmaven here: sometimes the best solution is a thick stone wall and a one-way chute, with regular drops of supplies. You could then add a one-way minecart going up from the underfortress.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:22:25 pm »

The problem you described of booze barrels ignoring stockpile links, this can be mitigated by leaving the booze in the quantum stockpile where the minecart dumped it.

There is another problem when loading booze into minecarts... the empty barrel on the stockpile will also be loaded, then replaced, etc, until all your empties are inside the minecart. Maybe make enough booze for a few years, distribute it, then shut down the booze-distribution minecart until needed again.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 07:19:55 pm »

Why not make the Trade Depot next to your stockpiles and make the Traders do all the work?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!