Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Movement speed and cavalry in combat?  (Read 768 times)

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Movement speed and cavalry in combat?
« on: November 20, 2022, 10:07:24 am »

I think I remember reading somewhere that movement speed affects your attacks. Like running towards an enemy and then attacking while you run. How exactly does that work? Also, how do I use cavalry in combat? I made a character with a horse but I am not sure how to use that.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Movement speed and cavalry in combat?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 12:39:28 pm »

so, if you Shift+S you open your movement menu, which also lets you go into a stealth mode. You can creep, stroll, walk, jog (at an expense to your stamina), run (greater expense), and sprint (Most strenuous). When you're moving faster, think of it as you get more opportunities to do stuff before others do - in traditional Fallout Rules, that's more AP Points for your turn - or in DnD, if you fancy, you could hypothetically do two bonus actions in a turn - the point is that Sprinting in DF will allow you to strike, block, dodge, all before a Walking Foe (of Average agility) could react with two hit attempts.

Funnily, you can pull some crazy Devil May Cry combos on monsters when you are super high leveled, as multi-attacks are possible too, and seem to increase with your speed and agility stats (and probably some other shit because DF is 700k lines).

This Shift+S also works while mounted! You can mount any neutral [MOUNTABLE] (I think thats the tag in the files) creature by (h)olding on to it and selecting the "Mount the Elephant" button. Note you can also Lead animals, and use animals as beasts of burder ((p)ut into your beast like you would a chest or a bin).
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.