Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Production speed  (Read 575 times)

MrBobbyBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Production speed
« on: November 25, 2022, 05:57:22 pm »

I would like to know how long production tasks take to complete(preferably in ticks), at various skill levels.
Something like the amount of ticks it takes for a legendary mason to produce one throne.
Also does the speed of production change between different items, such as the time it takes between a bronze pick and a wooden bucket.
Do materials affect the crafting speed as well?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Production speed
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 07:50:35 pm »

1. no idea
2. yes, sometimes dramatically. there may be some editable value that decides this length of time
3. not that I know of

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 04:10:01 am »

If you're noticing a huge change in the amount of time it takes to craft something the culprit is usually workshop clutter. Otherwise crafts seem to take low double digits ticks worth of effort. Generally optimizing logistics is where the time saving really is.

AllomancerJak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 10:10:12 am »

Time for some SCIENCE? If you get a chance to test it, I'd love to hear the results!

Different tasks definitely take different times (eg extracting strands takes forever). But I don't think anyone's done the math yet. I don't think materials affect anything.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 06:31:37 pm »

If you want to science it, you should be able to create an accurate chart showing how skill ranks modify job-times and how different item types modify job-times. You'll need using dfhack and it will take effort (programmatic skill or brute force).

Get a dwarf in a small locked room with one piece of wood, three bars of copper, a carpenter's workshop, and a magma forge. Enable all labors on the dwarf, make them not hungry, thirsty, or sleepy. Save the game.

Make a x-y chart, with skill ranks (0 to 15) for metalsmith, carpenter, weaponsmith, and armorsmith on one axis and many item types on the other axis (different weapons, furniture, finished goods, etc). For each empty box in the chart, follow these steps:
- Restore the save in a paused state.
- Script the dwarf's skill to the level and add the job to a workshop.
- Unpause and count the ticks between when the dwarf brings the last item to the workshop and when the job is done.
- Fill in the tick count in the chart for that skill level and item.

When the chart has enough data, you should be able to see the patterns and answer your questions.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?