Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beavers  (Read 426 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beavers
« on: November 30, 2022, 09:46:36 am »

They live around water in temperate forests, wetlands, low mountains and rivers.

The busily transform the landscape by cutting down trees, transforming them into wooden blocks and constructing dams and underwater dwellings with them. 10 beavers make one dam, so if their number goes beyong that, surplus beaver(s) will move some squares away and commence building a dam of it's own.

The wooden blocks of a beaver dam regularly vanished into thin air, thus causing flooding plus the beavers will repair the dam.

Should they run out of wood they will sit depressed on the waterside and slowly die away.

Their furs are great for tanning and they can be tamed. It's possible to steal their logs and wooden blocks, hence you can now oursource your woodcutting to flocks of beavers.

Dwarves like beavers for their industriousness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Beavers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 01:53:40 am »

I like this idea. All of the special mechanics you mention will need to be implemented though, as none of those things are currently possible. Might get beavers just hanging around rivers for a while
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 04:28:26 am »

beaver fortress? sure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 12:31:21 pm »

That would be so awesome.

Does it need to be cubes? Why not just raw logs in the dam?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 03:34:30 pm »

Personally, I think making logs float in water is a higher priority than beaver dams, but I'm certainly good with both. A correction, though:

Beavers only "cut" down (and eat the bark off of) younger, smaller trees, which the game considers saplings. Once a tree gets mature enough to be considered Woodcutter-worthy, it's too big for a beaver to handle. So beavers would thin out (perhaps even block entirely) the emergence of new trees within X distance from their stream. So beavers would essentially "create" wood, by taking trees that dwarves can't use (saplings) and collecting it to form dams, where the wood is concentrated enough to be called logs. Dwarves could access this wood either by disassembling the dam as they would a construction (displacing the dam's residents, if it's still occupied) . . . or if Toady implements rainstorms & flooding, the dam could break under the strain, washing its constituent logs downstream.

I think the main problem with beavers is calculating their pond: When a real-life beaver blocks off a narrow spot in a stream, the water level above the new dam is raised slightly, creating a small pond. But doing that in-game could flood potentially HUGE areas of the map (depending on the site's drainage), and be hugely expensive in terms of FPS. (It would work just fine in some locations--a map where the stream goes over two small waterfalls, and with only a narrow-ish gulch connecting them--but clearly, that sort of scenario is far too specific to be the only viable habitat for an entire species.)
So it'll be far more practical for the beaver dam to leave the water upstream unchanged in terms of z-level, and instead widen the flow: Once per month or so, one of the soil tiles bordering the stream gets replaced with water, and adjacent rock tiles are accordingly replaced with soil, until a "pond" of roughly appropriate dimensions is created. Of course, this has the potential of flooding your fortress, or otherwise putting water where you don't want it.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 04:18:48 pm »

Beavers only "cut" down (and eat the bark off of) younger, smaller trees, which the game considers saplings. Once a tree gets mature enough to be considered Woodcutter-worthy, it's too big for a beaver to handle.

this is incorrect. . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oZ3F19zMcs

I live next to many beavers and each year they impress me with their ability to cut down trees they cannot possibly use to construct dams. cute, but misguided little creatures, addicted to gnawing...

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 01:54:13 am »

this is incorrect. . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oZ3F19zMcs
I live next to many beavers and each year they impress me with their ability to cut down trees they cannot possibly use to construct dams.
Well, stew my foot and call me Brenda. Okay, let's amend that to "beavers primarily cut down younger trees, etc." Which they do--the saplings' softer, greener bark is more nutritious for beavers, and the trees themselves are of manageable size to be used for building dams & lodges. I expect the only reason beavers would go for more full-scale trees is to bring its branches down to the ground, so the beavers can get at them. This would be especially true if there simply aren't any (more) usable saplings in the beavers' territory.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 04:41:54 pm »

I live next to many beavers and each year they impress me with their ability to cut down trees they cannot possibly use to construct dams. cute, but misguided little creatures, addicted to gnawing...

I expect the only reason beavers would go for more full-scale trees is to bring its branches down to the ground, so the beavers can get at them. This would be especially true if there simply aren't any (more) usable saplings in the beavers' territory.

You're both correct, beavers knock down large trees then strip the branches off of food and materials, but they also chew seemingly obsessively whether or not they need to for food.  Beavers will target large trees despite there being plenty of smaller easier targets. They seem driven to both fell trees of any size and stop water from flowing, probably to shape the ecosystem to their needs. They convert streams into wetlands, the more open wetland the more protection they have from their predators.