Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting some bandits!  (Read 2652 times)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting some bandits!
« on: December 02, 2022, 04:04:25 pm »

I found them! They are all gathered around a pile of gubbins. They are very friendly, I've talked to most of them. I brought up the rumor that their group is occupying this site, and they say it is terrible. I say it must be stopped with violence and they agree. End of discussion. I found the boss.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. It seems wrong to just decapitate him in the middle of asking about his family, but I did come here to kill every last one of them, I assume. That's what's implied when someone says bandits have been threatening their people, right? Is there a better way to handle them?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting some bandits!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 03:57:44 am »

if you want to add more complexity to this some bandits were prisoners captured and converted into soldiers so uhh yeah... even the children end up being captured and turn to soldiers of war.

I do believe you could talk most of the folks in this camp out of banditry and move to a different life or follow you around, the boss though might require giving them a noble status to entice out of doing this kind of work or convince them to let you join them for entertainment then make a musical troupe.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

AllomancerJak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 12:07:30 pm »

Ah, the pain of morality.

I make myself feel better by demanding that they yield before attacking. They inevitably don't, so I give into temptation and hit one. And when they continue to refuse to yield, it's only fair to say they've chosen their own fate...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 04:43:49 pm »

Ah, the pain of morality.

I make myself feel better by demanding that they yield before attacking. They inevitably don't, so I give into temptation and hit one. And when they continue to refuse to yield, it's only fair to say they've chosen their own fate...
demanding them to actually yield is basically saying 'hey yield so I can rob you.'
you might want the ask to end fighting option that usually pops up when talking to someone hostile.
and even then if you didn't kill anyone and didn't intrude and their aggro sense is at lethal you can talk them out of combat... it would require like loads of gifts, named trinkets and comedy on top of dodging a bunch of attacks to pull it off.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 05:20:12 pm »

I found them! They are all gathered around a pile of gubbins. They are very friendly, I've talked to most of them. I brought up the rumor that their group is occupying this site, and they say it is terrible. I say it must be stopped with violence and they agree. End of discussion. I found the boss.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. It seems wrong to just decapitate him in the middle of asking about his family, but I did come here to kill every last one of them, I assume. That's what's implied when someone says bandits have been threatening their people, right? Is there a better way to handle them?

Bandits in this version are oddly friendly and pacifist. Even after you kill some of them, the rest will be more likely to want to have friendly chats with you than to fight you.  You can also recruit them if you have some rep, this is an alternative way to make them change their ways.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 05:03:00 am »

I've embraced my inner murderous madman. It seems like there's really no impact to killing anyone, anytime, anyway. The folks in the town nearby didn't sing my praises for getting rid of the criminals they complained about, and didn't seem to care ("It was inevitable") when I spread the rumor of me killing each of them.

I might want to check Legends to see how history recorded the demise of the criminal group. Did it record me rampaging through their camp, killing some of them, and then someone not at the location becomes the new boss, only to continue the group? Or was I the bronze colossus of that gang, destroying it utterly?

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:22:30 am »

I've embraced my inner murderous madman. It seems like there's really no impact to killing anyone, anytime, anyway. The folks in the town nearby didn't sing my praises for getting rid of the criminals they complained about, and didn't seem to care ("It was inevitable") when I spread the rumor of me killing each of them.

I might want to check Legends to see how history recorded the demise of the criminal group. Did it record me rampaging through their camp, killing some of them, and then someone not at the location becomes the new boss, only to continue the group? Or was I the bronze colossus of that gang, destroying it utterly?

They do eventually praise you some for killing bandits, but it also seem to me that each bandit-kill counts for mighthy little in their eyes :)

I once ran into a group of bandits harassing and spitting at a child in a hamlet. Killing THOSE earnmed me the title of "protector of the weak" and some serius respect. Really interesting was one of them got away, and then I later ran into that very same guy in a bandit camp.

Seems like though that killing megabeasts totally outshines any rep you can get from bandits, with night trolls being in between,

Legends do show the events. And ff you make a fort in the region, the dwarves might make engravings of the killings.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 10:05:16 pm »

I remember the good old days of 0.34 reputation, when people hearing your name would be stunned, as long as you were in the same civilization as where you completed your quest. I remember one adventurer of mine getting so famous that he started showing up on the walls of temples, on decorated items, and even on a silver coin. Combat has gotten significantly more fun since then, but reputation has fallen lower and lower with every update.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 05:50:16 pm »

Ironically, I started a new fortress yesterday and can confirm they are still hostile in fortress mode. I had actually, by one-in-a-million-chance, embarked on top of a bandit. She immediately killed our dog, but 7 dwarves with copper weapons beat one silver macewoman.

The site of her corpse will be marked with a slab in her name, and we'll keep her weapons as trophies.

Her Large socks however, are going in the trade depot. Or possibly we can use them as bags.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 09:27:13 am »

Ran across a camp yesterday with a single elf. Assumed he was a fugitive werebeast, but he was quite friendly. After checking legends viewer, I found he had been framed for treason and exiled from his civilization. Quite glad that I [didn't] kill him!

the boss though might require giving them a noble status to entice out of doing this kind of work or convince them to let you join them for entertainment then make a musical troupe.

I actually did try to recruit him, but since he was the leader of his camp it didn't work. Didn't think to ask him to join me as a performer, but there are a few cyclopes left in that region so I may I'll revisit at some point.