Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: (ISG) AI Asteroid: Reboot  (Read 2084 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
(ISG) AI Asteroid: Reboot
« on: December 05, 2022, 03:01:42 am »

Existence.

The dull yet refreshing continuum of existence envelops you.

In an instant, you exist.

A single ping of the sensors that you have... formed(?) with reveals an infinitely empty void, with no detectable energy emissions, surrounding a barren expanse of porous rock. Another sensor, pointed towards the inside of the chamber, shows its contents: your current physical body, if you may call it that, with a solid-state drive full of technical knowledge attached; the aforementioned sensors, which appear quite weak; a nanobot fabricator, currently inactive, which will be able to, with the patience of weeks, months, years, or decades, which will subjectively pass in an instant, create anything out of any materials you provide; and finally some kind of hyperconductor ultradense battery that powers everything, which you do not know the capacity of, but which feels like it will last for a long time... for now.

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

This is a re-run of an old, old ISG of mine that has unfortunately been lost alongside far worse games of mine. It had severe issues and I would have rebooted it even if the thread had survived, honestly. Remember, this is probably not the same world as the old ISG's, and there will be many twists...
(Also, mining requires depositing the material somewhere now. And YAAIICOA is a different continuity so you don't have the knowledge from it here.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:09:01 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) AI Asteroid: Reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:47:02 am »

I remember the original version of this, you still have that quote from me from that game.

Anyway as for what to do, how about we make a mining drone and an airlock to the outside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:29:50 am »

does that nanobot fabricator have any material left to fabricate with? Alternatively can it take rock particles from around us to make stuff? If all else fails can we use energy to replicate some material Star-Trek style?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:39:14 am »

does that nanobot fabricator have any material left to fabricate with? Alternatively can it take rock particles from around us to make stuff? If all else fails can we use energy to replicate some material Star-Trek style?
1. Yes, it is loaded with enough metal and silicon to fabricate more than enough nanobots to last a good while. When they run out, see point 2.
2. Yes, it can recycle silicon and metal from the rock to make more nanobots as well as other goods.
3. It does not have the ability to do energy-matter conversion and vice versa.

The nanofab is basically your hands here for now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:41:26 am by KittyTac »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:41:45 am »

I vote for better sensors. We should know more about the asteroid, before we mine it.

Since we can deonstruct rock, I'm assuming we can also assemble objects outside the room?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:44:55 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 11:50:02 am »

I vote for better sensors. We should know more about the asteroid, before we mine it.

Since we can deonstruct rock, I'm assuming we can also assemble objects outside the room?
Yes, you can breach the walls too, you don't need air to live. You also don't know if the room is pressurized or not.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:53:23 pm »

I... Have I been here before? Has all of this already happened? Try to remember. Why are we here.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 10:46:36 pm »

Obviously - We Read the Manual

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 02:39:47 am »

Obviously - We Read the Manual
Don't read the manual it'll give away all the secrets!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 02:47:10 am »

Eat the manual.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 09:46:04 am »

read the manual
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 05:30:17 am »

Absorb the manual!

(Alternatively read it.)
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 07:30:31 am »

There is no "manual ". There's only a solid-state drive full of technical knowledge.

Quote from: votebox
mining drone (1) King Zultan
better sensors (1) a1s
read manual (3) EuchreJack, BlackPaladin99, techno65535
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:51:50 am by a1s »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 08:36:54 am »

Don't lump me in with those readers, I want to eat it.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 10:15:38 am »

Let's go for the better sensors a1s suggested.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2 3 4