Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: (ISG) AI Asteroid: Reboot  (Read 2083 times)

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) AI Asteroid: Reboot
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 06:22:55 am »

We might want to look for Helium-3 too, or refine deuterium (Hydrogen-1 is actually pretty useless for fusion.)
We need to grab that stuff before it floats off into space, maybe we should build some kind of grabber drone.
we could quickly make a nano-fiber net to catch excess material exiting from the mine.

Yes, make a net to catch what's already floating off, then use it to cover the hole to catch new stuff.

Then use nano-bots to collect some of the ore to upgrade the drill with so it can cut through it.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2022, 12:39:22 pm »

PTW
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2022, 02:49:48 am »

We might want to look for Helium-3 too, or refine deuterium (Hydrogen-1 is actually pretty useless for fusion.)
We need to grab that stuff before it floats off into space, maybe we should build some kind of grabber drone.
we could quickly make a nano-fiber net to catch excess material exiting from the mine.

Yes, make a net to catch what's already floating off, then use it to cover the hole to catch new stuff.

Then use nano-bots to collect some of the ore to upgrade the drill with so it can cut through it.
A nano net sounds like a better idea than mine so let's go with it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2022, 05:26:03 pm »

PTW
Oh, also yeah, net sounds like a good idea.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2022, 07:27:26 am »

Updating tomorrow, sorry forgot.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2022, 02:24:55 am »

You attempt to form a net out of nanobots to catch the rock that is floating away. The optimal shape, rather than a net, is a bunch of tethers connecting the rocks and anchored to the wall. It is very thin and flimsy, but the rocks float so slowly that you manage to stop them without it tearing. Your nanobots cannot penetrate the (even torn-up) rock that covers the ore.

What now?

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2022, 02:48:57 am »

Lets use some of the captured rocks to make a cover for our mine shaft, and also see if we can't make the drill head stronger somehow.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2022, 02:55:41 am »

Fabricate a little hydrogen extractor, a hydrogen micro-fusion generator, and a storage space for various waste products.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 03:30:18 am »

While fabricating an H2 extractor/generator, have the mining bot go around the ore clump, first by going 3-times it's length to the side before going down again in order to create a space where the thrown-out material will be caught inside the tunnel and not thrown out into space.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 03:50:10 am »

While fabricating an H2 extractor/generator, have the mining bot go around the ore clump, first by going 3-times it's length to the side before going down again in order to create a space where the thrown-out material will be caught inside the tunnel and not thrown out into space.
+1

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 03:38:58 pm »

+1

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2022, 03:20:41 am »

While a net energy loss for the process, running the hydrogen 1 through a Farnsworth fusor (which might be doable with our current power source?) Would convert a decent portion of the hydrogen into deuterium and helium, which could be fed to a stellerator.

(One of the more useful roles of using a fusor is to run eg, water vapor through it, and use it as a source of soft neutrons that is easy to shut off. Putting it inside a tank of hydrogen-1 should convert a decent amount to deuterium through neutron capture, but will be a slow and power hungry process. Once the stellerator is on though, it just becomes a vampiric loss on energy production to run the fusor for fuel synthesis. Collecting excess neutrons from the stellerator itself for hydrogen enrichment and ditching the fusor might be more economical.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellarator

Respectively.

We need water to extract fusion energy though, since we need coolant loops.

We need to get a sample of our overburden into our compartment for microscopy / xray crystallography. We can then get decent guesses about what we have to work with, and can make reasonably coherent plans.

Chondrite type asteroid should have most of what we need for water and fusion energy generation, but be low in metals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondrite

They should be reasonably rich in hydrogen, oxygen, and light metals, like magnesium, but low concentration of iron or nickel. They frequently have pretty inclusions of olivine, and similar minerals.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:30:30 am by wierd »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2022, 12:41:28 am »

I forgot about this and was taken up with preparing for New Year's celebrations, sorry updating soon.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2022, 03:32:57 am »

Take as long as needed to do your new years stuff.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2023, 07:16:59 am »

Updating tomorrow, I got a bunch of free time nowadays.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4