Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Twisted Gods" - few concepts for inspiration  (Read 1341 times)

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Twisted Gods" - few concepts for inspiration
« on: December 05, 2022, 06:28:27 am »

In RPG and fantasy, we are often faced with a situation where the existence of gods is an empirically confirmed fact, rather than a matter of belief. Two extremes can be distinguished in the representation of these entities (note - I do not claim that all creation adopts one of these two extreme points of view). On the one hand - the current, for which, for example, most of the settings for D&D can be considered representative - gods are personification of certain values professed by people, not infrequently they are even "born" from the faith of mortals or at least derive power from it/are shaped by it, gods described as "good" are simply good in the conventional sense of the word, they sincerely care about their followers and you know what to expect from them. On the other side, we have motifs that can be considered taken from Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythology - the gods are incomprehensible, distant beings, completely unconcerned with human worldviews and so-called "good and evil. good and evil, mostly indifferent to humanity (and if by chance their paths intersect with that humanity, so much the worse for it) - at the same time, it is not uncommon for most mortals to be unaware of their existence, instead worshipping imaginary, more anthropomorphic deities tailored to their emotional needs. I wanted to invent some deities standing somewhere in the middle - entities whose goals, yes, are not fully understood by mortals, but nevertheless close enough to their own morality that worshippers can find some commonality (real or imaginary) with their patrons. At the same time, I wanted each description to contain a hook, an important point where the devotees' understanding of the deity diverges from its real nature - and whose discovery could be a significant twist. I invite you to read and discuss. https://adeptusrpg.wordpress.com/2022/09/22/twisted-gods-vol-english-version-of-pokretni-bogowie/ https://adeptusrpg.wordpress.com/2022/11/27/twisted-gods-vol-ii/

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: "Twisted Gods" - few concepts for inspiration
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 04:05:18 pm »

I'd say the middle ground would be personfications of natural processes. Things like Greek Titans. Beings with no real, understandable reason to exist and be do what they do.

What separates Apollo from Helios is that Apollo is the sun god, that controls the solar domain, while Helios is the Sun itself. Apollo does something with an active agency. Helios just is. There is no goal that Helios has, he simply does what he does.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 02:10:15 pm »

I like reading your blog post and seeing the different gods. I don't know if I like the template of "here's the appearances, oh, and here's the catch", as it seems kinda cliched. But at least each entry is interesting to read on its own (of these gods, I think I like the Great Uniter, Truthsayer, and Mistress of Natural Instinct the best). There is one comment I want to state though.

I wanted to invent some deities standing somewhere in the middle - entities whose goals, yes, are not fully understood by mortals, but nevertheless close enough to their own morality that worshippers can find some commonality (real or imaginary) with their patrons.

I believe you're essentially describing how Lovecraftian cultists view their patron gods. The cultists follow Cthulhu for a reason, after all.

Quote from: Call of Cthulhu
Then, whispered Castro, those first men formed the cult around small idols which the Great Ones shewed them; idols brought in dim aeras from dark stars. That cult would never die till the stars came right again, and the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom. Meanwhile the cult, by appropriate rites, must keep alive the memory of those ancient ways and shadow forth the prophecy of their return.

Cthulhu offers enlightenment and the chance for humanity to transcend its limitations and become gods themselves. Is that true? Who knows? But I can surely see people embrace that hope for progress, utopia, and a better life. In fact, Progress Guide (one of your gods) might very well be one version of Cthulhu himself.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 02:12:16 pm by Skynet »

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 11:45:01 pm »

Hello! I am very sorry I did not responded sooner, it is because I did not realize that there are answers at all.

@ Magmacube_tr

Yes, good point. And we should remember, that before Titans, there were Protogenoi, who were even more distant and inhuman than Titans.

@ Skynet
Thanks! Yes, I think that in Lovecraft oroginal stories most cultists have some reason for worshipping gods. Altough in most post-Lovecraftian works it is just like "we know that our god will destroy world/bring only misery, bu we are worshipping it, because we are craaaazy!!!".