Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: things you really like about the new version!  (Read 5069 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: things you really like about the new version!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2023, 11:05:21 am »

I like that this version has rock crystals. Unless I missed those being brought back into an earlier release.

They were either super duper rare, or they failed to generate for me in all forts I had. Now they're still somewhat rare, but not much more so than other gems.

Finally, glassmaker moods don't depend on imported crystal glass anymore, and I can make crystal glass items at the glassmaker!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 02:53:43 am »

I like that this version has rock crystals. Unless I missed those being brought back into an earlier release.

They were either super duper rare, or they failed to generate for me in all forts I had. Now they're still somewhat rare, but not much more so than other gems.

Finally, glassmaker moods don't depend on imported crystal glass anymore, and I can make crystal glass items at the glassmaker!

Rock crystal actually hasn't changed one iota since 2010, haha. Main difference is that minerals are "everywhere" by default, I think.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:56:06 am by Putnam »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 10:42:41 am »

The new room and stockpile designations are much more pleasant to work with.  I try to be critical of the UX, but this particular change is close to perfect.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 11:29:46 am »

As someone who had no problems learning and playing the old ASCII version for years, I honestly really like the graphics and prefer it this way.  It makes modding in new creatures a lot more work, but also more rewarding.

Using the mouse to designate and select things is also just very nice, and using it to designate constructions is nice since there's no longer a 10-tile limit.  I hope I'm not misremembering that being a thing.

Meeting area and room designation with zones instead of from furniture, with freeform painting, is also a great improvement.  Same with stockpiles.

There are definitely some usability catches with the new UI, like how it isn't always focusing text boxes like I expect and lacks mouseover indicators for buttons, but as a whole it makes the game much better in my opinion.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 12:57:08 pm »

...farms growing better in the cavern layer.
A reason to build part of your fort a little deeper? Cool. Can you at least level things out some and muddy the floor or do you have to make farms fit the existing terrain? Or does that just mean more or less the same Z as the cavern?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 12:59:10 pm »

As long as the floor is cavern soil or muddy stone, it's fine. Muddy non-cavern soil is still bad.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 02:19:26 pm »

Does it need to be muddy stone in the actual caverns, or is muddying the first rock layer below ground also good, since the floor tiles there are already called '<rock type> cavern floor'?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 02:46:03 pm »

I emphasized "stone" to make it clear that any stone is fine.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 04:15:44 am »

The new room and stockpile designations are much more pleasant to work with.  I try to be critical of the UX, but this particular change is close to perfect.

Yeah, although I'd love it if they stole the eye-dropper "Copy Settings" tool from ONI / Rimworld.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 08:49:47 pm »

I LOVE the music! I often played simon swerer music while on classic df so hearing all this is just hype for me!

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2023, 08:10:36 pm »

The new labor system is a godsend. Even with Dwarf Therapist,  managing labors in even moderately sized forts was far too much of a hassle for me to really enjoy the game. Now that dwarves do everything by default and will prioritize skilled dwarves over unskilled dwarves, I can focus more on managing my industries instead of having to adjust every labor setting whenever some migrants appear.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:05:06 pm by Inatun »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2023, 09:25:15 pm »

I really like the new labor system, bridges/levers, children doing chores and repainting zones/stockpiles.
Pages: 1 2 [3]