Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BUG: Ammo is broken  (Read 5488 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: Ammo is broken
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2022, 12:27:43 am »

Had (have?) the same problem.
I finally have my dwarves having archery practice after I did those:
- Have all supplies before setting up a squad;
- 1 use 1 target for 1 range with a bolt storage area;
http://joxi.ru/nAyq4k5TjGKOBA
- I also made several one person squads, and one big squad (no impact whatsoever).

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2022, 02:02:39 pm »

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but it appears to me that equipping a crossbow is what does it. When one of my marksdwarves refuses to pick up ammo, I've had success with editing his uniform to have a different weapon (like an axe), waiting for him to pick up that new weapon, then editing the uniform back to having a crossbow. Every time I've done this, he puts away the axe, picks up a crossbow, and loads up on bolts.

Still can't prioritize iron vs. wood, but it's better than having them running up to bonk things.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2022, 11:08:06 pm »

- Have all supplies before setting up a squad;
Not required. Just hit the button to have them go pick up new equipment.

- 1 use 1 target for 1 range with a bolt storage area;
Not required any more (used to be the way to make archery ranges, now isn't).
(Also I have dorfs happily grabbing bolts from my bolts pile outside of the range.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2022, 11:09:24 pm »

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but it appears to me that equipping a crossbow is what does it. When one of my marksdwarves refuses to pick up ammo, I've had success with editing his uniform to have a different weapon (like an axe), waiting for him to pick up that new weapon, then editing the uniform back to having a crossbow. Every time I've done this, he puts away the axe, picks up a crossbow, and loads up on bolts.

Still can't prioritize iron vs. wood, but it's better than having them running up to bonk things.
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2023, 12:47:09 pm »

According to ToadyOne's Bay12 post on 10/21/2021 regarding the military screen:

"We still have to handle food, drink, and ammunition concerns, and a few other things, but it feels like we've jumped the major hurdles."

It seems like he never got around to making an ammo screen, and simply forgot about it.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 02:13:19 pm »

There's still no bug tracker, but does anyone know if this has been reported on the Discord or wherever they're trying to get bug reports now?  This is the one bug that's keeping me from really playing seriously right now, since it cripples the military.  The workarounds are clunky enough that I'd rather wait for a patch.

In my case, it didn't look like just equipping a weapon caused them to pick up ammo.  In my case I was using modded creatures with bows instead of crossbows so maybe there's an extra bug there, but they were scheduled to only wear their uniform part of the year and despite dropping and picking up bows, they didn't restock ammo.  They did pick ammo up when I first drafted them, but after firing all of the arrows in archery practice they never grabbed more even after several years of going on and off duty and changing equipment.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:06 pm »

There's still no bug tracker, but does anyone know if this has been reported on the Discord or wherever they're trying to get bug reports now?  This is the one bug that's keeping me from really playing seriously right now, since it cripples the military.  The workarounds are clunky enough that I'd rather wait for a patch.

In my case, it didn't look like just equipping a weapon caused them to pick up ammo.  In my case I was using modded creatures with bows instead of crossbows so maybe there's an extra bug there, but they were scheduled to only wear their uniform part of the year and despite dropping and picking up bows, they didn't restock ammo.  They did pick ammo up when I first drafted them, but after firing all of the arrows in archery practice they never grabbed more even after several years of going on and off duty and changing equipment.
There is a bug tracker now, here. Also according to the most recent FotF, this has been acknowledged as simply something that missed being in the release rather than a new system, but there will be an overall ranged combat rework in general.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2023, 02:55:17 pm »

Also according to the most recent FotF, this has been acknowledged as simply something that missed being in the release rather than a new system, but there will be an overall ranged combat rework in general.
Let's hope this get fixed in an intermediate patch in the near future though. While not completely game breaking (a melee military only fort is.... mostly feasible), I agree with Telgin that it is crippling the miltary.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2023, 05:19:14 pm »

Also according to the most recent FotF, this has been acknowledged as simply something that missed being in the release rather than a new system, but there will be an overall ranged combat rework in general.
Let's hope this get fixed in an intermediate patch in the near future though. While not completely game breaking (a melee military only fort is.... mostly feasible), I agree with Telgin that it is crippling the miltary.
I've had one crippled military dwarf beat a whole siege to death using only his crutch. He was my Special Operative.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]