Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF v50.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 14993 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF v50.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« on: December 14, 2022, 07:24:16 pm »

world_gen.txt location for v50+

This file, which contains the world gen profiles, is located in the prefs\ folder in the DF folder, and might not initially exist; it can be created by having the game save its existing default profiles.

Finding what seeds were used in v50+

When generating a world with random seeds, the seeds used will be output to gamelog.txt in the DF folder.

Here's the guidelines & goals for this thread:

Post your interesting worldgen parameter sets for version 50.01+, along with a description of the 'ideal' embark you've found. Pictures of sites or directions to them (so others can find them) are especially helpful, but at the very least, try to provide others with the parameters for your new Fortress Paradise, roughly where your embark was and what you got out of it (features, resources). One man's Paradise is another man's Hidden Fun Stuff, so try to point out if you found any obvious problems (no underground plants, no iron known to playable civ, etc).

Got an embark situation you'd like to see? Ask for it, and perhaps a world that someone else has discarded would work better for you! Found an interesting embark with some unusual feature (Adamantine space elevators, tiny island off shore in the ocean, chasms open from surface to caverns)? Post it, and let others have some fun with what you've discovered!

A screenshot showing the embark location is ideal, if you are posting with a specific embark in mind, rather than just the entire world.
Please use spoiler and code tags where appropriate, to keep your posts a reasonable size.

To get things started, here's a couple posted to the old thread:
I know we don't have a thread for the v50 (Steam version) worldgen yet, but here's a worldgen/seed I found with a 2x2 embark with volcano, stream, steel, with sand/clay/honeybees, for those who want to explore DF with a small embark covering most of the industries. On the large worldmap, it is the central southern volcano by a stream.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know we don't have a thread for the 50.01 (Steam version) worldgen yet, but here's a seed I found with a 12-tile-wide river with a 6-tile-wide tributary, a waterfall where they meet, and a surface volcano! Of course doesn't work on 47.05

The Waterfall

The Volcano

Location on the zoomed-out world map (southeast corner shown)

Location when zoomed in

The Resources (names and neighbors will differ, I used a random civ seed and I don't know how to extract it from a save in the Steam version)

It's not a particularly impressive waterfall, just 5 z-levels high. But it's plenty to get you started!

Because Civilizations are still random, you may have someone settled on this location already, preventing you from embarking there. I had to regen twice before it was free for me to embark there.

world_gen.txt (fyi the folder in the Steam version changed from data/init to prefs):

Here is an HTML form you can save (as an .html file) and open locally (in your browser) for use as a template or starting point for making specific embark feature requests. There's no logic/validation in this form, it just selects everything with a checkbox and then highlights the results so you can copy/paste that into a new post. By vjek.
Also, the HTML form is hosted here, on github pages, and should be usable by anyone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 12:52:09 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v50.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 02:05:30 pm »

Thats a great Waterfall/Volcano Map! i'm going to play that now. Thank you!
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Ξlectɍonaughtƴ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 01:19:19 pm »

I accidentally deleted a save that had an embark location in it of my dreams. It was made with basic world generation. I have found the seeds in the gamelog.txt that were used to make it.

But how do the basic world generation settings translate to advanced ones? Especially for savagery I can't seem to find it on the wiki for basic nor advanced.

But let's say I have my 4 seeds,
I used:
Medium worldsize
100yr History
Medium civs
Medium sites
Medium beasts
Medium savagery
Frequent minerals

How exactly do i formulate that into a world gen profile to recreate this world?

Thanks in advance.

Draghon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 08:11:48 pm »

Here's an embark I found with a volcano and a cave on the surface that leads down to the cavern layer(with a magma pool) and I believe another cavern under that.
There is a light aquifer, but there's mods for getting rid of those if you don't want them.

On my initial embark there was a small cave on the west side with a named troll however when I remade the world she wasn't there anymore

The World location top right

The Resources

The Embark site, with the cave to the right

The Underground cavern(which has a giant, at least one troll, and a bunch of Troglodytes)
Cavern also has some little 3x3 obsidian blocks with valuable gems in em

The World gen info

Gremgoblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 06:40:05 am »

Hey guys,

awesome thread. I have a request for an embark site I'd like to play. I've tried fiddling with the world generator a bit, but I just can't manage to get it right, and googling for solutions has me stumped even further. I'm looking for:

• A 4x4 embark site
  • In a biome that features both sliver barbs and whipped vines, so from what I've noticed, it must be a terrifying tropical savannah (but, I am open to be corrected here)
  • Preferably 75% flat, but not super picky about this
  • Has running surface water or running underground water close to the surface
  • Has access to the 3 main civilizations and, as a bonus, if kobolds could be nearby, that'd be amazing too
  • A nearby tower would be cool too, but probably makes it hard to get sliver barbs and whipped vine that isn't dead? Not sure, my testing seems to indicate towers nearby = dead plants on arrival = no seeds...?
  • Standard caves etc.

Is this list doable? I can't seem to make it work myself. Also, apologies if this isn't the correct way to use the thread!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:32:42 am »

Defenitively doable, but needs a bit of trying.
Go to advenced and :
Highten up savagery.
Highten up evil.
Up evil weather (rains) so you get "less" dead more freaky places.
Good luck!
Don't forget that you the end of the day you could trade /raid for plants and seeds (if I am correct but not a 100%on that)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Gremgoblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:10:12 am »

Hey Mohreb,

that's how I'd been trying to do it. Unfortunately, I've ended up with a lot of worlds that do not have any dwarves in them at all, and often no elves either... I suppose having no elves is not the worst thing, but I like having access to them. I think it's the savagery that is sort of messing up the placement of these civs, is there a fix for this? Maybe I am just cranking the numbers way too high.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 09:57:07 pm »

I've been trying to generate a colder, no-tropics island (thinking of something like Iceland) but I can't seem to generate one without tropics. It seems that if you want seasons, you need a pole, and if you have a pole, you have tropical biomes. Would like the place to be mostly 'cold' with some 'freezing' and 'temperate' areas as well. Absolutely needs to have seasons.

Firstly, is iit possible to to generate a world with seasons but without poles, perhaps through editing text files or with some sort of third-party mod? This would solve the problem.

If not, what can I do to generate a one-pole world that has no tropics? I tried adjusting the maximum/minimum temperature settings a bunch of times but it seems there's always at least a thin band of tropical biomes opposite the pole.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 01:06:02 am »

Hey Mohreb,

that's how I'd been trying to do it. Unfortunately, I've ended up with a lot of worlds that do not have any dwarves in them at all, and often no elves either... I suppose having no elves is not the worst thing, but I like having access to them. I think it's the savagery that is sort of messing up the placement of these civs, is there a fix for this? Maybe I am just cranking the numbers way too high.

first try to find "the location" you are happy with, then once it is good, just change the seed for history until it fix the elves/dwarves question.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 06:09:55 pm »

Hey Mohreb,

first try to find "the location" you are happy with, then once it is good, just change the seed for history until it fix the elves/dwarves question.
try to increase site and pop cap while also keeping world history short. that should increase your chances of all races still being alive

AdaliaStark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 02:02:18 pm »

Hi!

I have a request for an embark that I would like to play and have had 0 luck finding so far. I've tried fiddling with the world generator, but I just can't quite get it right. I've already bumped Good Regions to the max for small and medium sizes. Here is what I'm looking for:

A biome that features bubble bulb, downy grass and sun berry, this seems to mostly Serene in my experience?
    Lots of vegetation is nice and I like trees too.
    Has mountains, am not too picky about the size, just decent enough to start my base in before digging down
    A river for fishing
    i would like there to be neighbors
    A nearby tower would be interesting, as I've never really checked those out before
    Standard caves etc.

Is this list doable? I just can't seem to make it work, I spend more time trying to find an embark that has these features then I do actually playing.

dan84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 05:34:48 pm »

Can't wait to see more entries!

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 12:13:54 pm »

Hey Mohreb,

I make custom worlds via Perfect World quite often, which usually causes weird mountain generation leading to the issue you mentioned above. My solution was to clone the MOUNTAIN entity (I named it ALT_MOUNTAIN but you can use any name other than one already used). Upping the number of Civs also helped. I like to go 500+ years for world gen so Dwarves dying is a common issue, but my steps above ensure I have at least 4+ in even a medium sized world, and still have lots of Humans, Elves, & Goblins as well.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 12:15:42 pm »

Is there a way to encourage generation of seaside cliffs, sort of like the White Cliffs of Dover? I'm having a vision of a fortress built into the cliffs overlooking a stormy sea.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:20:21 pm by Inatun »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 03:06:21 pm »

Is there a way to encourage generation of seaside cliffs, sort of like the White Cliffs of Dover? I'm having a vision of a fortress built into the cliffs overlooking a stormy sea.

you should look instead for lakeside cliffs... seaside cliffs DO occur but are super-super rare and usually some kind of irregular or broken geology is needed to produce them. For generation settings, I change the following in order to produce more cliffs in general

1. turn off all minimum tile requirements (be prepared to adjust your other settings to produce playable worlds)
2. lower the 'erosion cycle count' - this allows for river valleys to appear thinner and more realistic
3. turn off 'periodically erode extreme cliffs', though this has less impact than one might imagine afaik
4. change 'maximum number of subregions' to maximum. this allows for a greater mish-mash of biomes, though is less realistic

half the battle is learning to recognize sought-after embark landscapes from the world map. Premium is smoother to interact with, but it lacks a lot of the detail from the 47.05 embark screen.

for sea cliffs specifically, I imagine you would want to increase the overall elevation variance (but not too much, this can break worldgen easily). You might increase the number of oceans or seas, and also the number of mountains... I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. 
Pages: [1] 2 3