Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 28913 times)

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« on: December 14, 2022, 09:37:11 pm »

A thread for simple questions about dwarf fortress.

My question: A dwarf has claimed a workshop for a Fey Mood but I don't know what they want.  The little icon above their head is a red cross next to a green squiggly arrow.  Also what looks to be an insect, like a dragonfly

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 09:50:57 pm »

A thread for simple questions about dwarf fortress.

My question: A dwarf has claimed a workshop for a Fey Mood but I don't know what they want.  The little icon above their head is a red cross next to a green squiggly arrow.  Also what looks to be an insect, like a dragonfly

I don’t have the new version (yet), however, in the older versions, what you need to do is view the workshop that the dwarf is in.  This should tell you what the dwarf is demanding (which, depending on the type of mood, may be quite cryptic).  I’d assume this would work in the new version too…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 10:07:27 pm »

Yes, that's the same. Click on the workshop and you get what the dwarf is demanding.
In 50.03 you can actually click the dwarf's magnifying glass and it'll show you a list of materials it's considering (not sure if that's intended).

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 10:18:03 pm »

I don’t have the new version (yet), however, in the older versions, what you need to do is view the workshop that the dwarf is in.  This should tell you what the dwarf is demanding (which, depending on the type of mood, may be quite cryptic).  I’d assume this would work in the new version too…

The dwarf ended up leaving the craft workshop they were in, and went to the craft workshop next door, after grabbing some bones from an animal I slaughtered.  Viewing the workshop gave no indication of what had been claimed for use though.  There were a couple of icons above the dwarfs head which I now think were to indicate they were working on the artifact.  A red cross with green squiggly arrow perhaps indicates that the dwarf is constructing, and the icon that looked like an insect was perhaps indicating they were in a mood, or the specific mood. 

All the changes will take some time to get used to, at least until the community has them figured out.   

Edit: Just had a closer look at the dwarf and it was a Bard that I allowed into the fortress to entertain.  Perhaps because they aren't a citizen moods work differently.  I only noticed when I tried to add them to a military squad but they weren't on the list.

Further Edit: I had a mood from a regular citizen dwarf and it describes everything that is happening in the workshop icon.  So my problem was just because the dwarf had petitioned to come to the fortress, and not been born/migrated there.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:07:40 am by el Indio »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 02:49:39 am »

A red cross with green squiggly arrow perhaps indicates that the dwarf is constructing, and the icon that looked like an insect was perhaps indicating they were in a mood, or the specific mood.

I was able to compare "Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_interface\graphics\images\unit_status.png" to this page:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon

Looks like the first one represents "No Destination" (a red question mark in ASCII version,) which they get if there's no path to something, but also when they're figuring out a path right after starting a job.

Second is fey mood, which is a white exclamation point (with fairy wings in the Steam version.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 02:51:44 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 04:41:08 am »

A red cross with green squiggly arrow perhaps indicates that the dwarf is constructing, and the icon that looked like an insect was perhaps indicating they were in a mood, or the specific mood.

I was able to compare "Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_interface\graphics\images\unit_status.png" to this page:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon

Looks like the first one represents "No Destination" (a red question mark in ASCII version,) which they get if there's no path to something, but also when they're figuring out a path right after starting a job.

Second is fey mood, which is a white exclamation point (with fairy wings in the Steam version.)
No Destination sounds right, it was a non-citizen dwarf that had the strange mood.  I haven't played in quite a while so don't know how common that is.

montejobarato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 08:52:24 am »

Who to get into arena mode? Like, for modding and fun , i have the option arena mode on on the init file, but it dosent appear to pop up on the menu, is there a hot key to doing so?

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 03:51:16 pm »

Who to get into arena mode? Like, for modding and fun , i have the option arena mode on on the init file, but it dosent appear to pop up on the menu, is there a hot key to doing so?

Arena mode isn't implemented yet. 

montejobarato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 12:04:32 pm »

Arena mode isn't implemented yet.
[/quote]

damn ;-;

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 12:34:06 pm »

1) Do you no longer have to assign a direction to train on archery targets? Is just slapping one down in a barracks that has "training" active good enough?

2) How do/can you see how much your civ needs to become mountainhome or what have you? It used to be in the nobles screen but I can't find it now.

3) is there a way to look at active relgions/guilds/whatever now without just making a location and scrolling down the assignment list? Likewise is there a way to view your petitions that are active?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »

1) Correct (see Toady devblog on archery). They just work it out by themselves now (and can fire up and down Z levels at targets apparently, so crossbow squad stuck in a tower can train at distance).

3) Only by checking each dwarf's Groups tab.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 05:44:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 06:08:41 pm »

Thanks! One thing with this release... I am missing some of the screens that just give you random info like civilization, petitions, Etc. Hope some of them get added back in!

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 11:34:36 am »

I've googled these and just cannot find these answers:
1. Werebeasts have population, production, trade triggers. Do I have to hit all three triggers or just one to get werebeasts?
2. What do the two numbers of the FPS counter mean? One's probably computational and one's graphical, but which is which? Sitting pretty at 100 <47>.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 03:49:57 pm »

1. Werebeasts have population, production, trade triggers. Do I have to hit all three triggers or just one to get werebeasts?

Only one requirement must be met for an attack.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 04:49:37 pm »

Only one requirement must be met for an attack.

d'oh, read that article, missed the important info. So it must work the same for titans, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18