Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon-accessible front gate  (Read 3957 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagon-accessible front gate
« on: March 21, 2024, 08:20:40 am »

Can wagons pass through an open floodgate, or row of floodgates?

I'm trying to figure out how to make doors that are big enough for wagons, so that the caravan can be protected from sieges, etc. when necessary. I don't want to use drawbridges, since I've read that they are indestructible. My feeling is that invaders need to be given a fighting chance, since if they can't ever get inside, because I just wall them out or whatever, why play at all? I was trying to use actual doors for a while, but then I read wagons can't go through a row of three open doors after all. Makes sense, since a door needs a jamb for its hinges.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon-accessible front gate
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 11:15:17 am »

From a quick test in 47.05, yes they can, at least D shows there's a path.

Personally I place all my depots inside a double airlock, so that at any given moment it's either closed to outside, or closed from the main fortress.  That way invaders will never attempt to path through it.  I dunno if this would be cheating to you too.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 08:14:37 am »

You could also place some doors adjacent to a drawbridge for the trolls to smash through if space isn't a critical issue at the entrance.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 04:33:14 am »

You could also place some doors adjacent to a drawbridge for the trolls to smash through if space isn't a critical issue at the entrance.
*when building destroyers get fixed
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.