Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 29113 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2023, 06:45:42 pm »

Is there a reason my Capital fort stopped getting trade wagons?
Clarifying - I don't get the message about the inaccessibility, meet all the criteria and have had dozens of caravans in the past.
They just stopped coming from all nations (maybe elves didn't have them, don't remember).

I haven't kept a fort running long enough to become the capital, but I remember in the past doing so would stop caravans from coming to trade.

I have an unrelated question though, do agitated wildlife (from clear cutting the surface for example) ever stop once they've been triggered?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2023, 04:29:29 pm »

Looks like the beta for 50.08 doesn't mention anything about fixing dwarves not using ammo properly.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to work around this bug until then?  I initially didn't have problems with my soldiers picking up ammo if the uniform I initially assigned to them had a ranged weapon, but that stopped working reliably after I started creating more squads and I'm not sure what really fixes it and what doesn't.  Some of the busted soldiers seem to also have issues picking up ranged weapons or quivers for some reason too, but that may be a different problem for all I know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2023, 01:23:08 am »

dwarves not using ammo properly

Well, I have 2 squads and it's an ongoing issue.
My solution - overstocking! I have literally thousands of bolts lying in different stockpiles around my battlement / range. It kinda works.

On the other hand I have  a different issue I dunno how to fix: low boots...
I got about 100 pairs of steel low boots in equipment stockpiles. But then almost noone in my military wear boots. What do I do???

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2023, 04:45:36 am »

I got about 100 pairs of steel low boots in equipment stockpiles. But then almost noone in my military wear boots. What do I do???[/img]
Is the uniform set to replace clothing/exact matches?

They are probably wearing shoes/socks that prevent boots from being equipped.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2023, 10:58:46 am »

I've regularly run into situations where the military has equipment available, and does not equip it.  I just use generic equipment assignments, such as "metal greaves" or "metal high boots".  What I've found works is to go to 1 dwarf in the squad who isn't wearing something that I know exists in the fort, and in the details page, set the material again to metal.  Even though it's not different, it seems to refresh the entire squad's gear logic, and results in all 10 dropping nearly everything, and picking it all back up, plus all their new gear that they were previously ignoring. 

I haven't played around with marksdwarves yet, though I'm wondering if something similar might work there as well with picking up ammo.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2023, 03:31:47 am »

I know about the material - all of my sets are set to the right one (steel).
They wear armour over clothing.
I'm pretty sure that I saw some of my dwarves wearing steel low boots over socks.
It might be the culprit cause most dwarves who do wear low boots have socks underneath, whereas the majority of bootless dwarves (but not all )wear shoes.
If I tell them to take off the civilian clothes will it affect morale?
Cause I might risk a bare feet military over berserking one due to the unhappiness over lost silk shoes...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2023, 08:19:31 am »

Wearing armor over clothing is a major source of issues, especially boots, so I'd try setting their uniform to replace clothing.  Socks won't cause a problem, but ordinary shoes will.  Based on what I've read and my anecdotal experience, dwarves won't reliably remove shoes to put on boots.  I don't think even setting the armor material helps there.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2023, 11:47:17 am »

How do I stop soldiers from carrying food.  They seem to drop it all over the place when they switch from active duty to not-active duty.  I knew how to do this with the old UI but not the new one.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2023, 11:48:32 am »

I haven't seen this behavior in the current version, but my guess is that the only fix is to not have any backpacks.  I assume that if you have any in the fort, soldiers will grab them and try to use them to store food.  I haven't made or traded for any, so I'm guessing that's what prevented it from happening to me.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2023, 09:32:58 am »

I have a sarcophagus and the bones of a dwarf in it. However, the game does not show the sarcophagus, just the bones on that tile. Hiding the bones doesn't help. If I hide the copper coffin, then the bones become invisible too. But I'd rather admire the coffins populating my mausoleum at my fort's entrance. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way the game is currently coded?

Also, when selecting which animal to put on a chain, the game does not tell me if any animal is already restrained somehow, which makes it very annoying to assign a large number of animal "alarms" around.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2023, 10:50:08 am »

The coffin thing sounds like a bug.  I haven't seen that myself, but I know I've seen reports of graphics not appearing at times, like dwarves having no heads.  Sometimes restarting the game fixes it from what I've read.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2023, 02:57:22 pm »

I have a sarcophagus and the bones of a dwarf in it. However, the game does not show the sarcophagus, just the bones on that tile. Hiding the bones doesn't help. If I hide the copper coffin, then the bones become invisible too. But I'd rather admire the coffins populating my mausoleum at my fort's entrance. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way the game is currently coded?

Also, when selecting which animal to put on a chain, the game does not tell me if any animal is already restrained somehow, which makes it very annoying to assign a large number of animal "alarms" around.

I'm not sure about bones, but a dead dwarf in a coffin looks like a closed coffin.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2023, 07:41:39 am »

How do I stop soldiers from carrying food.
AFAIK the only working solution is to destroy all backpacks.
I kinda let it go - I do have to mark a rotten lavish meal here and there sometimes...

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2023, 05:45:24 am »

My caverns look mostly like this

I've decided that my quest for this fort is to clean up the caves.
The issue is: as soon as I open up a pathway there dwarves just rush en masse - just yesterday I lost ~70 civilians and 10+ militia because they would just rush for that silk sock no matter what.
I have burrows, I got the no go traffic too.
Are there any other valid methods or movement control apart from just locking the door?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2023, 06:14:38 am »

The orders tab can get your dwarves to not go collect silk, as well as ignore items in the caverns (I believe it's the same rules as "outside").
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18