Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 29143 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2023, 02:21:05 am »

Do giant versions of hateable vermin provoke the same unhappy thoughts as the vermin version? ie if I make a statue of a giant jumping spider for my noble who likes them, will it upset other dwarves?

No, the tag VERMIN_HATEABLE is removed from man and giant version of critters.

I have a giant jumping spider parked near my entrance, along other giant animals, and no one bothers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 02:23:28 am by Saiko Kila »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2023, 11:00:09 am »

"eww a rat"

"oh cool a giant fucking rat."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2023, 03:11:49 pm »

I'm sure that if people saw giant spiders or rats from up close, they would love them. Such cuddly animals.

As a side note, due to a bug or what not, giant spiders (as well as insects and other normally small animals) are one order of magnitude bigger than they probably should, mine weighs as much as four cows (almost 2.5 tonnes), or forty times as much as your average dwarf. Try not to like him and tell him that to the face (and mandibles).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2023, 03:26:20 pm »

Giant flies are like that too.  I've never checked their size but they're big enough to kick dwarves to death in a single blow, though that's maybe not that unexpected with Dwarf Fortress combat.

They also come in swarms and can fly.  Cut down the trees in untamed wilds at your own risk.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2023, 06:14:28 pm »

Yeah, giant animals are not simply bigger versions of the regular ones. They really are giant.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Samten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2023, 12:29:27 pm »

I’m having a problem designing the minecart repeater for spike traps. Are such repeaters possible in Steam version? (btw, my repeaters for doors work perfectly - 4-tick delay between open and close (good for markdwarf’s training, not so good for FPS). But for some reason I’ve got no luck with spikes).

In my design a minecart enters the “C” pressure plate, starting the 40-tick count towards “retract” condition. About 10 ticks later it leaves the pressure plate, starting the 140-tick count towards “extend” condition. Then, after about 20 ticks, the “extend” signal comes from the “A” pressure plate. The spikes extend without problem. But then, after about 10 ticks, the 40-tick period from pressure plate “C” comes to end… but the spikes do not retract :-(
Could you please advice what am I doing wrong?

I use the same repeater as with pre-Premium versions and it works the same:

The only problem I had was with creating impulse ramps, because I couldn't find explicit "construct track-ramp of given directions" in Premium, and had to use wonky "intelligent" designer. This in turn required making temporary holes on a level above, and designing in specific order (before building track stops) which was not required in older versions.

I'm not sure about your tick counts. This particular repeater does one cycle in about 174 ticks (any above ~150 ticks is good), after hitting the pressure plate, 40 ticks after, the spikes are retracted, stay this way for ~100 ticks (after the minecart leaves the plate, about 6 ticks after hitting it), and then spring back up (potentially hitting targets). Then they wait for the next signal from pressure plate. The minecart moves counter-clockwise here.

I’m sorry, have not noticed your reply on time.

Just to explain my first post, I was trying to make sort of “lightspeed” repeater for spikes. Of course, it is no problem to make a regular repeater for full cycle of spike movement - retract after 40 ticks (starting from the moment the minecart enters the pressure plate) and extend after 140 ticks (starting from the moment the minecart exits the pressure plate).
The point is to shorten some of this time. I do remember somebody on this forum wrote about his repeater, which was calibrated in such way that the spikes showed only for 1 tick and retracted immediately… cannot find this post now. So far I’ve got no luck creating the same concept on Steam version. I can show what I mean in detail with photos in the next post if you want.
Do your repeater solves my problem or it is the basic “full spike cycle” repeater?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 01:17:07 pm by Samten »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2023, 04:24:13 pm »

Giant flies are like that too.  I've never checked their size but they're big enough to kick dwarves to death in a single blow, though that's maybe not that unexpected with Dwarf Fortress combat.

They also come in swarms and can fly.  Cut down the trees in untamed wilds at your own risk.

I had encounters with them in v.0.47. They were scary, but they have one weakness - they are very susceptible to anti-aircraft fire (i.e. marksdwarves). Often only one shot is enough to remove their ability to fly, which causes them to plummet to the ground in a spectacular and deadly fashion.

As for size, it seems they are 10x bigger than they should, based on RAWs. For comparison, the big insects or spiders are 10x bigger than the infamous Giant Cave Spider (which has its size explicitly stated, not recalculated based on a smaller animal).

I’m having a problem designing the minecart repeater for spike traps. Are such repeaters possible in Steam version? (btw, my repeaters for doors work perfectly - 4-tick delay between open and close (good for markdwarf’s training, not so good for FPS). But for some reason I’ve got no luck with spikes).

In my design a minecart enters the “C” pressure plate, starting the 40-tick count towards “retract” condition. About 10 ticks later it leaves the pressure plate, starting the 140-tick count towards “extend” condition. Then, after about 20 ticks, the “extend” signal comes from the “A” pressure plate. The spikes extend without problem. But then, after about 10 ticks, the 40-tick period from pressure plate “C” comes to end… but the spikes do not retract :-(
Could you please advice what am I doing wrong?

I use the same repeater as with pre-Premium versions and it works the same:

The only problem I had was with creating impulse ramps, because I couldn't find explicit "construct track-ramp of given directions" in Premium, and had to use wonky "intelligent" designer. This in turn required making temporary holes on a level above, and designing in specific order (before building track stops) which was not required in older versions.

I'm not sure about your tick counts. This particular repeater does one cycle in about 174 ticks (any above ~150 ticks is good), after hitting the pressure plate, 40 ticks after, the spikes are retracted, stay this way for ~100 ticks (after the minecart leaves the plate, about 6 ticks after hitting it), and then spring back up (potentially hitting targets). Then they wait for the next signal from pressure plate. The minecart moves counter-clockwise here.

I’m sorry, have not noticed your reply on time.

Just to explain my first post, I was trying to make sort of “lightspeed” repeater for spikes. Of course, it is no problem to make a regular repeater for full cycle of spike movement - retract after 40 ticks (starting from the moment the minecart enters the pressure plate) and extend after 140 ticks (starting from the moment the minecart exits the pressure plate).
The point is to shorten some of this time. I do remember somebody on this forum wrote about his repeater, which was calibrated in such way that the spikes showed only for 1 tick and retracted immediately… cannot find this post now. So far I’ve got no luck creating the same concept on Steam version. I can show what I mean in detail with photos in the next post if you want.
Do your repeater solves my problem or it is the basic “full spike cycle” repeater?

So you want to use some eploity super-fast repeaters? It wasn't clear to be honest, I understood you had problems with normal repeaters.

Nah, with only one pressure plate, it triggers as I wrote, standard cycle. However, you can add more plates (I use about ten usually, and up to twenty or so), which shortens the time between retracting (it's still quire irregular, with a pattern repeating after several rounds, and the shortest average time of cycle I got was ~49 ticks). But with this repeater you cannot go for one-tick spikes (which I don't believe is possible, because there seems to be some latency with spikes... unless I mix some signals).

If you could find that quick repeater for spikes I would be interested too, but I don't remember such solutions.

Samten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2023, 02:38:47 am »

So you want to use some eploity super-fast repeaters? It wasn't clear to be honest, I understood you had problems with normal repeaters.

Nah, with only one pressure plate, it triggers as I wrote, standard cycle. However, you can add more plates (I use about ten usually, and up to twenty or so), which shortens the time between retracting (it's still quire irregular, with a pattern repeating after several rounds, and the shortest average time of cycle I got was ~49 ticks). But with this repeater you cannot go for one-tick spikes (which I don't believe is possible, because there seems to be some latency with spikes... unless I mix some signals).

If you could find that quick repeater for spikes I would be interested too, but I don't remember such solutions.

Made some digging of the forums and found all the required info here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130767.0

Basically, my mistake was that I’ve been considering the 40 tick delay only for retraction period. But in reality the extension period is NOT 140 ticks - it also has 40 tick delay (which cannot be reduced) plus 100 (or 99) tick delay from the pressure plate. And that 100 tick delay can be reduced to almost 0 using “lightspeed” design.
Tonight, I will try to make my repeater based on this info.
Thanks anyway for your answers.

Sludge_McGunkman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 23, 2023, 06:26:49 am »

What objects can dwarves learn history from besides books and scrolls? Like, is it worth it to import figurines so that my citizens can discover historical events and depict them themselves, or do I need to wait for rumors from guests?

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2024, 05:01:51 pm »

I'm not on Steam, but I hate to create a whole thread for such a simple labor problem.

Only one dwarf is smoothing stone, and nobody is carving the tracks I've marked. I originally wanted just the current single smoother, the sheriff, to smooth his own office without bothering everyone else, so I put him in a burrow to restrict him. And whatever I did, it worked. Nobody helped him. But now there's other stonecutting to be done, and I want everyone to pitch in. I've deleted his burrow. On the stonecutters work detail screen, he's the only one with the Stonecutter labor enabled, and on his labor tab, it's the only one he's got, but he is set to do whatever is needed. The stonecutters work detail is set to "everybody does this."

Am I forgetting something?

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2024, 06:56:16 pm »

Sorry, nevermind. Someone just started carving track. I guess I just have little patience.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2024, 07:43:13 am »

My bonecarver went mad because there were no shells available and died of dehydration. Unfortunately, she left a baby behind. Now, DFHack is warning me that the baby is starving and dehydrated. Will none of the other dwarves take care of the baby? Is the poor infant doomed?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2024, 08:46:29 am »

As far as I can remember that's how it's always worked in DF.  I don't think dwarves can feed babies like patients in a hospital, and nobody will adopt it.

Since you have DFHack, there should be some commands you can use to fix the hunger and thirst though.  Once the baby gets to be a year old they'll turn into a child instead, which will take care of itself.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2024, 06:49:02 pm »

Yeah, full-heal to the rescue!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2024, 06:55:10 pm »

and nobody will adopt it.
Not even a cat?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18