Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 28876 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2022, 05:03:17 pm »

There is no idle tracker currently (though it's frequently requested, so maybe!). The best you can do is press 'u'nits and sort by job to see no job, etc and get a rough idea of how many. At 200 dwarves that's a pretty useless method, though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2022, 05:03:28 pm »

When placing bedroom zones, is it still true that unassigned bedrooms will be automatically claimed by dwarves or do you have to manually assign them?  I designated a few and left them for a while, which nobody claimed.  Maybe I didn't let it run long enough before manually assigning them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SamJF

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2022, 05:51:38 pm »

With classic mode, engraving icons are back! Is there currently any way to hide these beyond toggling the game option to obscure new engravings? I can't find anything equivalent to the old "hide engravings" designation.

When placing bedroom zones, is it still true that unassigned bedrooms will be automatically claimed by dwarves or do you have to manually assign them?  I designated a few and left them for a while, which nobody claimed.  Maybe I didn't let it run long enough before manually assigning them.

Yes, they still claim bedrooms on their own. It takes a little while for them to do so, but they'll eventually do it. I've only had to manually assign rooms to hunters, who still seem to prefer sleeping in the wilds. Also worth noting that some dwarves live together, so you might need less than you think.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:58:30 pm by SamJF »
"I must pray to Armok. I'm uneasy."

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2022, 08:28:03 pm »

For the difficulty settings, I don't remember the exact numbers, but they'll influence how early you get attacked by various things based on your fort's economic output.  At least that's how it worked historically.  As your fort produces stuff, the game tracks how much value you've produced, and more value = more and bigger attacks.

Those are the enemy difficulty settings, but there are also Economy-specific population, production and trade triggers. I assume they probably control when you are declared barony/duchy etc, but what else?

I'll try the meeting area tips, thank you two. Maybe if I seperate the tavern from the dining room, put it on the far end of the map, and place a centrally located small meeting area it'll be an OK workaround.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 10:35:59 pm by NPK »

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2022, 08:44:57 pm »

1) Correct (see Toady devblog on archery). They just work it out by themselves now (and can fire up and down Z levels at targets apparently, so crossbow squad stuck in a tower can train at distance).

WOAH! Crossbowdwarves now grasp the THIRD DIMENSION!! (In my head I'd always imagined the crossbow squad's leather helmets just had a tiny little sliver for their eyes, like an elaborate set of blinders -- so they could only ever see, and therefore engage, targets directly within their 15-degree sight cone.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2022, 04:44:37 pm »

I think they do.
I usually make a room, put a bed and a coffer inside, stick a door, make a zone and let the lil guy sort it all out themselves.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2022, 10:11:32 pm »

Confirmed that it does work.  It felt like it took a bit longer for someone to claim a bedroom than I was used to in older versions, but it's probably my imagination.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2022, 05:06:21 am »

I think they do.
I usually make a room, put a bed and a coffer inside, stick a door, make a zone and let the lil guy sort it all out themselves.
Yes, this has always been true. Always amusing seeing people rant at how much work it is to manually assign bedrooms to dwarves when, yeah, it's not at all necessary.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2022, 07:51:41 am »

This is somewhat related to classic more so than steam, but I didn't wish to create a new thread.

I had a quick look to no avail, does anyone know of a way to integrate the new music from the steam version into the classic?
Aka, I have the steam version but wish to play classic while adding the new music in.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 07:53:40 am by SuicideRey »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2022, 08:04:04 am »

This is somewhat related to classic more so than steam, but I didn't wish to create a new thread.

I had a quick look to no avail, does anyone know of a way to integrate the new music from the steam version into the classic?
Aka, I have the steam version but wish to play classic while adding the new music in.

you can toggle ascii graphics in the Premium version - if you want the same experience.

As for adding music, I don't know of any way to do so, you might ask in the modding board, or just play the soundtrack in the background.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2022, 08:14:06 am »

you can toggle ascii graphics in the Premium version - if you want the same experience.

As for adding music, I don't know of any way to do so, you might ask in the modding board, or just play the soundtrack in the background.

I expected as much, hopefully this becomes a possible feature later on and thank you for the quick reply!
I am aware of the option you mentioned, I've been using it so far and it works as well as it should. It is not quite what I am aiming to do though but thank you nonetheless!

Someone on the modding board has been asking about something similar so I'll just wait and see if anyone replies to their topic, I am quite excited about the prospect of adding modded music in for different triggers and such.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2022, 08:22:42 am »

It's the same game, same files, just copy the additional music files over and it will just work. But as mentioned, what does "playing classic as opposed to playing Steam even mean"? You're playing the same files from one directory as opposed to another.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2022, 08:48:22 am »

It's the same game, same files, just copy the additional music files over and it will just work. But as mentioned, what does "playing classic as opposed to playing Steam even mean"? You're playing the same files from one directory as opposed to another.
Alright so, I actually tried something else and realized how silly I was, nothing really stops me from copying the entire game folder from steam to another directory which is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

In regards to your question, its just like you said at the end. I imagine its not a big deal to anyone else but I liked to organize my folders in a particular way, and until now I thought that I wasn't able to do that with steam games but as it appears I am wrong.

tldr everything is sorted now!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2022, 04:53:27 pm »

So quick question about clothing sizes: now instead of making large, small, etc., the clothing is specifically made for a given race. So clothing for elves, goblins, etc.

Just want to doublecheck that a specific race MUST have clothing specifically made for that race now, instead of "well, it's made for dwarfs or elves but they're both medium creatures and can wear each other's clothes." Thought to ask this because I have an elf citizen-in-waiting (if you even have to go through two petitions now, don't know if you still do) that seems to be mostly nekkid, and I'm not fully sure if I just don't have enough unclaimed clothing or if I'm specifically having to make clothing for elves (and any other races I get in my fort).

Thanks! Checked the wiki but I'm a bit confused by it, can't tell if it's still got the small/normal/large thing going on or if I'm just not quite understanding it correctly.

Edit: After deciding to just make some race-specific gear for myself, it seems to just make "large" or normal or whatever clothing, so I assume it's still just the three sizes... but I could have sworn I saw some armor and such labeled just "goblin armor" or what have you. So I'll let the question stand in case anyone can shed a bit more light into the situation/better explain to my apparently too-tired brain what the wiki is saying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:25:40 pm by Stormfeather »

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2022, 12:11:58 am »

So quick question about clothing sizes: now instead of making large, small, etc., the clothing is specifically made for a given race. So clothing for elves, goblins, etc.

Just want to doublecheck that a specific race MUST have clothing specifically made for that race now, instead of "well, it's made for dwarfs or elves but they're both medium creatures and can wear each other's clothes." Thought to ask this because I have an elf citizen-in-waiting (if you even have to go through two petitions now, don't know if you still do) that seems to be mostly nekkid, and I'm not fully sure if I just don't have enough unclaimed clothing or if I'm specifically having to make clothing for elves (and any other races I get in my fort).

Thanks! Checked the wiki but I'm a bit confused by it, can't tell if it's still got the small/normal/large thing going on or if I'm just not quite understanding it correctly.

Edit: After deciding to just make some race-specific gear for myself, it seems to just make "large" or normal or whatever clothing, so I assume it's still just the three sizes... but I could have sworn I saw some armor and such labeled just "goblin armor" or what have you. So I'll let the question stand in case anyone can shed a bit more light into the situation/better explain to my apparently too-tired brain what the wiki is saying.
I don't think there is any race specific sizes, my dwarfs will wear stuff from the elf caravan.  I think that residents won't pick-up any clothes at all, I've also had naked elves and never saw them pick any clothes for themselves.  I've never seen them claim a bedroom either, even dwarfs who arrive to seek residency.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18