Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 23844 times)

Rubinstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2023, 03:07:04 pm »

Thanks a lot to both Telgin and anewaname. Didn't know about the relative values. I shudder when I imagine all the massive data mining has been done to make DT or DFHack possible.

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2023, 01:56:12 am »

Good to know. I can make a fort which only produces figurines and see if anyone satisfies their needs with that.

Again about acquire objects. I used method with 3 stockpiles and tracked dwarf with orange "acquire object" need. He successfully moved all kind of crafts made from earthenwear and didn't acquire any.

How, damn, this acquire object mechanics work -_- I can't figure out =( Is there any chance thet they also need some specific material?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2023, 05:43:34 am »

Hmm. Some dwarves have strong preferences (perhaps from their personalities, though I'm just guessing.)

Check what materials he likes and see if you can get him to grab crafts of that.

Duke Dapper

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dandy as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2023, 04:20:59 pm »

May I ask about the monicre under everyones profile picture? I have seen thatThe toeady one is known as teh toeady one whilst many others are known as "Bay watchers" and I'm aparently an "Escaped lunatic." How do you get what and why?
(I'm not complaining I like the title/monicre.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 04:32:57 pm by Duke Dapper »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2023, 08:25:11 pm »

Escaped Lunatic just means you're a 'new' member - I believe after 10 or 20 posts, it turns to Bay Watcher, which is where everyone remains unless Toady changes it (perhaps for a moderator, or maybe Putnam will get a new moniker.)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2023, 11:12:08 pm »

I've noticed this thing - maybe it's a bug.
Some dwarves grab monster remains and go "place item in a tomb" then when they get there they go back to "place item in a stockpile" with the same item.
How come?

Duke Dapper

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dandy as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2023, 12:39:13 am »

Escaped Lunatic just means you're a 'new' member - I believe after 10 or 20 posts, it turns to Bay Watcher, which is where everyone remains unless Toady changes it (perhaps for a moderator, or maybe Putnam will get a new moniker.)
Oh I see. Thanks for telling me

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2023, 07:58:45 am »

I've noticed this thing - maybe it's a bug.
Some dwarves grab monster remains and go "place item in a tomb" then when they get there they go back to "place item in a stockpile" with the same item.
How come?
There is a bug when one of your fort's units (dwarf or animal) is killed, becomes undead, and is killed again. Then dwarfs spend time moving the body parts between the auto-assigned tomb and the refuse pile. Players often change their burial methods to include atom-smashing or magma when the dead walk at their fort.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2023, 07:53:50 pm »

Is there a video on Youtube about how to use the military and squad screens?  Because, somehow, I am having a harder time with the Steam UI than with the old UI.  It truly is making me question if this part of the game was beta tested.  Also, for some reason, they made it really easy to delete stuff by accident. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2023, 11:20:50 pm »

Is there a video on Youtube about how to use the military and squad screens?  Because, somehow, I am having a harder time with the Steam UI than with the old UI.  It truly is making me question if this part of the game was beta tested.  Also, for some reason, they made it really easy to delete stuff by accident.

Can't commend the interface tweaks mod enough. It swaps one of those cancel buttons with a bin, for 'discard squad'.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2023, 08:07:21 am »

1.  My birds are not using the nest boxes....am I doing something wrong?

2. Hospital zone...my old design seems to not work.  I have bedrooms attached to a common room but the game does not detect the beds or tables.  I like using bedrooms so dwarfs can be locked away if I think they may change.  Do I have to put everything into one room?  Great way for werebeats to kill everyone....

And the military menu...bleh...is there a way to switch back to the old UI?   :(

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2023, 09:52:52 am »

1. Are your birds in a pen that doesn't include the nest boxes?  I haven't had much problem with this, but I have my birds in a pen that includes the nest boxes.  Historically anyway I'm pretty sure they'd claim nest boxes anywhere in the fort if they weren't penned, but I haven't tested that in the current version.

2. Are the bedrooms inside of your hospital zone?  As far as I can tell, the game prefers to stop at doors and walls when designating zones, but you can add the bedrooms to the zone by editing the zone's area with the paintbrush icon and painting over the extra rooms.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2023, 10:13:46 am »

1.  The birds are in their pen with the boxes.  Not sure what is going on.

2.  I was able to get it to work by switching to a dormitory zone.

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2023, 05:46:03 am »

Good to know. I can make a fort which only produces figurines and see if anyone satisfies their needs with that.
I saw dwarf wearing figurine as his item. Confirmed.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2023, 12:16:58 pm »

So I got a visitor, who asked to join for soldiering. I said sure, and assigned him to a squad. He promptly dropped most of his equipment. So I went to his uniform to set it up, but since he owns all his equipment I can’t assign it to him as far as I can see. Is there a way to get him to pick it up again?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17