Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (some) annoucements need to be more prominent  (Read 190 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(some) annoucements need to be more prominent
« on: December 15, 2022, 07:36:26 am »

Maybe it's about getting used to - but I miss most of the annoucements on the left of the screen. I guess there's so much going on in the game so your attention is focused on the middle of the screen.

I for instance miss most of the caravan annoucements :) So I don't really trade a lot as the caravans come and go and I don't even know.

I also miss moods. I mostly just notice a dwarf has a mood if I want to build something directly in a workshop and I notice some dwarf took it over - and since I don't know how long he's been there craving missing items, I don't do anything about it since he might just have a day left before going mad. Or I notice the announcement of a dwarf completing an artefact, and I'm like "whoa, didn't even know you were working on one!"

I THINK some dwarves die because of not having supplies for their artefacts, but I never knew it happened. The whole thing of "mood, no silk cloth, madness, death" can happen and all I know of the little drama is that "a bedroom is empty now, somebody or other must have died for whatever reason."

I feel like caravans and moods and maybe some other things (deaths? fights?) should get the "big" announcement where the game is paused and you get a text box.

Maybe players should be able to toggle which announcements they want as BIG and which ones they just want on the left screen. (For instance animal births, it's cool that it gets a little thing on the left you can look at when you want. But'd I'd like to know if it was this year or last year lol. And I guess some players don't care about caravans at all, so it's great for them they're sorta invisible now.)

Also when I get around to seeing the announcements that somebody died or there was a fight or whatever, I have no clue if this happened yesterday or months ago.

So I think they need a "happened x days ago" column so you get some more clues as to what happeed. As it is, I just shrug like "some people fought at some point in time for whatever reason" and close it. I have too little information to even know if it's something I can do anything about.

I THINK the annocement system makes me more sort of distant to some of the things happening in the fort. Before I felt more like part of the fort, now I feel more like I'm a manager of a factory in another country and I only know like the most general info.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:39:59 am by Orange-of-Cthulhu »

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • More speed than sense
    • View Profile
Re: (some) annoucements needs to be more prominent
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 07:42:31 am »

This can actually be changed yourself in the configs, though i agree that some of those things should be made more visible by default.
And also with the fact that there should be timestamps in the announcements.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (some) annoucements needs to be more prominent
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 07:52:48 am »

This can actually be changed yourself in the configs, though i agree that some of those things should be made more visible by default.
And also with the fact that there should be timestamps in the announcements.

Ahh I will do that then.

I think newer players might play for a while and not even know caravans exist. If you don't look at the surface level much, you'd never know they were there.