Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Steam] Most requested list of quality of life changes this game needs as of now  (Read 4962 times)

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've made a list of the most requested changes and fixes I've seen recently around Kitfox's discord, steam and bay12forums. These changes would make the late game more enjoyable and less tedious. Let me know what you think! I agree with all of them

- Allow switching between containers without needing to close the menu of the current container first
- Include a paint mode for designing floors and walls, not just the square tool
- Allow players to build floors under furniture (carving and smoothing is possible)
- Allow multiple tombs in a tomb zone for several dwarves, or make tombs functional without requiring a zone
- Persistent logs and events in game
- Add a search bar to all menus. It can be tedious to look through a large list in menus like the justice screen or the dwarves/jobs screens without a search function
- Make the text box search focus automatically without requiring a click, especially in the Stocks menu
- Lock the scroll wheel in menus when the mouse is inside the interface to prevent unintended movement in the game
-[Added!] Step by step function when the game is paused, for slower paced fights or important events we want to keep track of
-[Added!] Choose everyone at once on the burrow screen instead of one by one
- Add blinking/flashing tiles for build orders too, in addition to mining, smoothing and woodcutting tasks
- Allow players to manually disable certain types of notifications, such as sparring or task completed notifications
- Provide a way to place a building that the player doesn't have, which automatically sends the build order to the nearest workshop to be built, then a dwarf places it. This would save a lot of micromanagement and make it easier to quickly furnish some rooms on the go. Example: I have 2 beds only, but I want to make a room with 5 beds and 1 chair. 2 beds will be placed, 3 will be placed transparent and the chair transparent too. Then 3 build orders for bed and 1 for chair will be created. Then they place the missing beds and chair. Make a toggle option in the main menu "Create build order at nearest workshop if building is missing from stock piles [ ] "
- Make the mechanics of stairs more intuitive. Currently, it is not possible to dig stairs up into the unknown, or build downstairs without existing stairs underneath, potentially making your dwarves trapped in lower floors.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 04:23:35 am by HMIMH »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Provide a way to place a building that the player doesn't have, which automatically sends the build order to the nearest workshop to be built, then a dwarf places it.

Automatically sending build orders might be undesirable, particularly if there's already a work order in progress.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • More speed than sense
    • View Profile

Automatically sending build orders might be undesirable, particularly if there's already a work order in progress.
You're probably right regarding that bit. But being able to pre-plan item placement and then having the items placed automatically as they become available would be pretty cool. I think this was a DFhack feature, but it would be nice if this were to become a vanilla feature.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile

- Make the text box search focus automatically without requiring a click, especially in the Stocks menu

If the game should be keyboard only playable again in the future, this should be at least toggleable

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the game should be keyboard only playable again in the future, this should be at least toggleable
Yes! In the options menu, a toggle for "Automatically focus on menu search bar" so both keyboard and mouse players can take advantage of it

- Provide a way to place a building that the player doesn't have, which automatically sends the build order to the nearest workshop to be built, then a dwarf places it.

We can make this option as a toggle in the menu: "Send build orders to nearest workshop if there is missing buildings in stock"
The idea is that the orders get sent to the nearest workshop, so for example you can build a temporary (or permanent) carpenter close to the rooms, and the new furniture you request go to that one carpenter. In the worst case yes, it will interrupt the next work order until complete, but this can be fixed with more workshops! Is the feature I'm craving the most to be honest. I really wanna make beautiful temples and bedrooms on the fly

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

* Added a request for a step-by-step function
* Added a request for a persistent log and world event to be accessible

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

In the worst case yes, it will interrupt the next work order until complete, but this can be fixed with more workshops!

There are also the cases where you waste logs making extra beds and where the order is queued at a workshop you didn't want it at (e.g., linked to nether cap stockpile.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are also the cases where you waste logs making extra beds and where the order is queued at a workshop you didn't want it at (e.g., linked to nether cap stockpile.)
Yes, however some players (me included) have already tons of wasted logs making a buffer of beds waiting in the stockpile to be placed, so they can be ready whenever a new rooms is needed, if it is, so we dont need to wait until they are all ready for the placement. This could be fixed by adding a checkmark in each workshop along the lines "Do not use this workshop in automatic build orders". Or viceversa, assign workshops for this tasks only, and not a manager, "Use this workshop for automatic build orders".
However, as I said before, the auto build orders could be completely disabled or enabled. It depends what you're willing to sacrifice. For some players, someone making a bed in a random carpenter doesn't really matter; they just want things to be done. Personally I can give up 5-10 seconds of a dedicated workshop not working, in exchange of being able to build faster.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're probably right regarding that bit. But being able to pre-plan item placement and then having the items placed automatically as they become available would be pretty cool. I think this was a DFhack feature, but it would be nice if this were to become a vanilla feature.
The DFhack feature lets you place a 'blueprint' for a furniture item, and the next available furniture will get placed there. It would be nice to have this, I agree. I don't think it should generate a work order to make the item though. THe workflow would be 'set up work order for appropriate number of beds/furnitures', 'lay out blueprints for bedrooms',  'await completion'

IMO the best use of this would be to blueprint out a large area to be constructed with a particular block type, so that you can lay out buildings while your dwarves get working on the bricks instead of having to wait for 300 bricks or do it a bit at a time.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The DFhack feature lets you place a 'blueprint' for a furniture item, and the next available furniture will get placed there. It would be nice to have this, I agree. I don't think it should generate a work order to make the item though. THe workflow would be 'set up work order for appropriate number of beds/furnitures', 'lay out blueprints for bedrooms',  'await completion'

IMO the best use of this would be to blueprint out a large area to be constructed with a particular block type, so that you can lay out buildings while your dwarves get working on the bricks instead of having to wait for 300 bricks or do it a bit at a time.
Shouldn't the workflow be 'lay out blueprints for bedrooms' first in this case, then set up build orders?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shouldn't the workflow be 'lay out blueprints for bedrooms' first in this case, then set up build orders?

Whichever you like. It's splitting hairs. But if I get thirty migrants, I'll probably order thirty beds, then set up a bunch of rooms.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Trollam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

What about having a job in the workshops to work directly on the blueprints of placed furniture?
That way you can still have some sort of control over the dwarf who builds the furniture, instead of just creating a new work order in the nearest workshop.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I would like the ability to assign dwarves to squads and labor groups from their unit overview. And the ability to designate animals for slaughter, gelding, hunting or war training and adoption as pets from their overview as well
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:04:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile

I just want working stairs again! Not being able to build upward and downward stairs is awful.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: [1] 2 3