Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [Steam] Most requested list of quality of life changes this game needs as of now  (Read 4960 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Provide a way to place a building that the player doesn't have"

On this i've seen, but this turns up a lot in "add a building/furniture blueprint mode" feedback posts.

Recently, I constructed a mill stone (something i havent done in over half a year irl time in and out of playing dwarf fortress) because querns are just better allocation for labor for irregular usually once a season mill-em-all-then-leave-em-alone jobs until the 50.xx focus on fertility and surface/cavern farming came in. And i had completely forgotten that it takes 2 gears and a millstone to actually construct without multiple failed attempts at placing (also its placement shadow is invisible, but beside the point)

So listing the requirements to build a building ahead of time in the tooltip would help for a few machines for newer users intuitively, and for modders without a lot of fail messages.

HMIMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Putnam could take a minute to read it now that he's a co-programmer <3

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

I've started cooking worlds in Premium, and the following immediately stood out;

Bring back numerical elevation display on the world map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've started cooking worlds in Premium, and the following immediately stood out;

Bring back numerical elevation display on the world map
Yeah, I assume this is just a missing feature. The shades of yellow are too close to one another for me to distinguish most of the time, and not visible at all under the embark box. So not of any use at all.

DwarfSpirit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It feels like the citizen list and various assignment menus (labour, military, noble, burrows) could be consolidated to display more information in one place. On top of making search bars ubiquitous, I would like to be able to see the dwarf's stress level, assigned labours/burrows, and a snapshot/hover-over/drop-down box of their general and/or context-sensitive (eg military/admin skills if in squad/noble appointment mode) skills regardless of what assignments I'm making. I often train stressed dwarfs or assign them to certain craft labours, or rotate legendary miners into the military, or need to check on their profile for other less well represented skills like tactician, ambusher, social skills and when I inevitably forget or need to double-check things it causes a lot of back-and-forth between menus.

luthis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

In addition to this point:

New Suggestion, 12/16/2022

Problem: Finding a dwarf with specific skills or traits can be a long process of opening the Creatures > Citizens page, and then selecting dwarves one by one.

Solution: Having hotkeys to quickly cycle through dwarf info cards back and forth could resolve this issue.

Also being able to assign bedrooms and military squads in the dwarf interface would be really helpful.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Designating digging/plant gathering/tree chopping, painting burrows, painting zones, designating buildings/constructions use the same graphical icons but each play by different rules. Erasing dig/plant/tree orders requires you to go back and use a seperate "erase" tool, while burrow/zone/stockpile erasing is done in the same painting interface, and removing building/construction orders requires clicking each one and cancelling or cancelling the corresponding task in the tasks screen. All of these should just use the zone/burrow/stockpile painting system. I imagine there could even be one "paint" tool where the player selects their desired "paint" from a "palette" of mining, plant gathering, tree chopping, stockpile, zone, burrow, construction, building--and then selects from a "sub-palette" the priority, automine, construction/furniture type and desired material filters (instead of selecting pre-existing items--just like the df hack feature) and then uses the familiar click-paint and box tools.
- You should just click the unit's icon (the little picture showing their clothes, weapons, etc.) in whatever list to see their sheet instead of having a separate "magnifying glass" button. Everywhere where unit icons are useful, so is the ability to see the unit's sheet, so it should just be implemented that way to make UI design easier and more usable.
- All animal lists are impossible to sort in any coherent way currently. Sort by "profession" doesn't work correctly (whatever counts as a profession for animals anyways) nor does "name" or "domestication". And for cages, they're sorted in order of appearance, which is probbably simpler technically but again makes things difficult for players.
- The justice menu needs to be searchable/filterable.
- All surnames should be in english or native languages everywhere, not a mix of both.
- Pressing "esc" or right-clicking needs to always do the same thing--go back one "interface layer". Currently, pressing esc while defining adjectives for a work order condition--the only way to leave that menu--goes back TWO layers, to the work orders list. Pressing esc with just the squad menu open should close the squad menu, then another press opens the game preferences. Currently it does both in one press, because the squad menu opens AND closes with 'Q' instead, clearly so players can refer to it while in other interfaces--but the only time they have the opportunity to do that is when selecting new squad members, as all other interfaces from the panel either don't require info from other panels that can be open (giving orders) or themselves open another panel (equipping, scheduling, etc.). You wouldn't need the weird exceptional 'Q' behavior if the interface "stacked" like it used to, anyways--that means opening a character sheet from say, the equip interface and closing it leads you back to the equip interface.
- Let us define bolts for marksdwarves to use!
- The trade good selection interfaces' items list makes no sense--there is no need to make seperate sub-categories for each different material pants, etc. when there is a string search already for when players want to isolate certain details. Add a "select all matches" functionality like the stockpile filter screen.
- All lists should smooth-scroll instead of snap-scroll, the snapping makes quickly browsing to find a specific unit name/item (which happens way too often) more difficult. For some reason, only a few lists smooth-scroll.
- Really, all the item-list/filter interfaces (trade goods, stocks, stockpiles, work order conditions, etc.) should work the same way, as should all the unit-list interfaces. It's more usable and from a layman's perspective, technically simpler.
I think the every-function-has-different-interface-rules is the real thing that makes the UI clunky and is an artifact of the way the game was developed. Adding graphics and mouse support only helps usability so much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]