Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Theaterdrum: Last hope of The Bodice of Tapering  (Read 2391 times)

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theaterdrum: Last hope of The Bodice of Tapering
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 07:05:09 pm »

We're getting through these rounds fairly quickly, aren't we?

Looks like you got a lot of work done on the fort, nice. I'll contact Avolition soon, assuming he isn't already playing, eheh.

Also, uh, I keep trying to download the save so I can peek through Legends and check out the fort, but it won't work when I paste it into the save and launch the game. Doesn't work with Salmeuk's save either. Anybody know why this may be?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 12:12:22 pm »

make sure you are unzipping the file, then putting the lowest order of folder into the save.

so instead of savefolder/savefolder/rawfiles , the hierarchy should be savefolder/rawfiles

because unzipping often automatically creates a folder for the save folder

i am tired so if this didn't make any sense, lmk if you still need help

===

damn... loving the look of that internal water wheel engine. looks like you did a thourough revamping of the internals, hopefully nothing too complex? smash traps are always good.

yeah I infamously do not like mangerial orders but the new version practically demands it. *sighs in oldschool DF*

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 03:10:40 pm »

make sure you are unzipping the file, then putting the lowest order of folder into the save.

so instead of savefolder/savefolder/rawfiles , the hierarchy should be savefolder/rawfiles

because unzipping often automatically creates a folder for the save folder

i am tired so if this didn't make any sense, lmk if you still need help

Well, I'm fairly sure I did exactly what you asked, but it still ain't showing up. Hmm, maybe elaborate and I can see if I'm missing something?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 03:36:25 pm »

Cheers, will pick up. Sorry for slow reply my phone died recently so i didnt see it.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Grant4455

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorf-Head and former Urist McStation Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 06:16:53 pm »

===

damn... loving the look of that internal water wheel engine. looks like you did a thourough revamping of the internals, hopefully nothing too complex? smash traps are always good.

yeah I infamously do not like mangerial orders but the new version practically demands it. *sighs in oldschool DF*

Thank you! I've been playing around a lot with the steam version trying to find the best compromise between Framerate, Power Output, and hassle to set up.

The system mostly runs itself, but I've included stopcocks just about everywhere you could need them. Levers to isolate the cisterns from each other, low and high-pressure siphons, etc.

The drowning chamber has a pressure plate that detects water and seals the bridge to stop backflow into the caverns, but the lever into the fortress is manual, and given the pressure, that could go really badly if someone is inattentive. Honestly, I could probably have set it up some other way, but I was almost out of time and this seemed much funnier. To try and aleviate at least a little of the shmuck bait, the pressure-cistern has a dual service door, that will only become accessible once the cistern is fully drained. To do that, just open both low-pressure sluices and the off-map sluice, whilst sealing inflow. It takes a while, but it means you can modify the water system without any danger of flooding.
The grates should ensure that whatever else happens, even if the fort floods to the gunnels, provided the offsite drain is open it will eventually all eventually flow off map. Perhaps a subsequent player might consider a panic room to retreat into so they could intentionally flood the fort in the worst of cases and hide whilst the invaders drown or are swept off the map.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 06:22:35 pm by Grant4455 »

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 08:43:42 pm »

I post here a lot but hush it just means I'm excited

I can download saves now, so that's good, must have been a thing on steams end.

Also for anybody interested in deeeeep lore, here's the names of the two wars we fought/are fighting with the elves. Interestingly, the current war was started due to a dispute over truthfulness. Decide for yourself what that means I suppose

Spoiler: The Assaulted Conflict (click to show/hide)

And also, apparently an artifact we made is highly sought after. So look out for that I guess

Grant4455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2022, 12:09:28 am »

I post here a lot but hush it just means I'm excited

I can download saves now, so that's good, must have been a thing on steams end.

Also for anybody interested in deeeeep lore, here's the names of the two wars we fought/are fighting with the elves. Interestingly, the current war was started due to a dispute over truthfulness. Decide for yourself what that means I suppose

Spoiler: The Assaulted Conflict (click to show/hide)

And also, apparently an artifact we made is highly sought after. So look out for that I guess

That's the crown I assigned as part of the manager uniform! I alluded vaguely to it, but that's quite amusing that its become significant!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2022, 10:11:17 am »

golden turtles?? why, yes, I would like to risk my life to secure that otherwise unremarkable crown!

so 50 years passed between the wars. I wonder what sparked the second wave of violence

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2022, 03:05:48 pm »

Well, if you look at it from the perspective of the raws/mechanics, then wars start due to a dispute over ethics. So the currently active war was started by the fact that dwarfs have oath breaking (likely what "truthfulness" refers to) as a crime worthy of execution, and elves only exile due to it.

From a narrative perspective, perhaps an elf from the Mirthful Flutes broke their oath to a dwarf, and the elves were angered when the dwarves administered the appropriate punishment.

It's fun filling in the gaps you find in Legends!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2022, 12:40:53 am »

Well, if you look at it from the perspective of the raws/mechanics, then wars start due to a dispute over ethics. So the currently active war was started by the fact that dwarfs have oath breaking (likely what "truthfulness" refers to) as a crime worthy of execution, and elves only exile due to it.

From a narrative perspective, perhaps an elf from the Mirthful Flutes broke their oath to a dwarf, and the elves were angered when the dwarves administered the appropriate punishment.

It's fun filling in the gaps you find in Legends!

ohhh I didn't even read that part, still not used to the new legends formatting. uhm, ok, and then the first war was over the treatment of plants. So we fought for over 50 years about plants, in a semi-cold war full of hatred and propaganda... followed by 30 years of peace ... then the elves broke a princely oath and despite the best attempts of the priesthood to stop the violence, the enraged noble families rallied for war. Bringing us to 138 and the expedition to Theaterdrum!

Grant4455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 02:38:22 am »

Super excited to see what the next overseer does with the place. Has anyone sent a message around AvolitionBrit? I wouldn't want to pester but it's been their turn through the holidays and the first half of January now. Here's hoping we get more sign-ups after them as well!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2023, 05:18:50 am »

Ah i will play and finish it tonight. I had this written on my phone as a reminder and then that phone broke. So when i returned to my PC i completely forgot about this game.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2023, 03:34:14 pm »

looking forward to it. your posts always bring a certain admirable chaos to the situation

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 10:24:35 pm »

looking forward to it. your posts always bring a certain admirable chaos to the situation
You know me. Certainly have done some things.

My turn just has a bit of fall and winter left. Can't stay up much longer to finish. Will post tomorrow (Technically today)

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 09:52:55 am »

Here is the save, certainly an interesting turn. Will write up soon.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 [2]