Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Pump stack lag

(1/3) > >>

Superdorf:
Finished up a 100 z-level pump stack today, using a design from this thread with 1x3 reservoirs... the system reliably drops my FPS from 80+ to 4 or lower.
I could swear I was able to get a reasonably speedy pump stack going on my old laptop, using this design. Did I do something wrong, or are pump stacks really just that laggy? :-\

Save

Schmaven:
I remember pump stacks treating fluids differently depending on build order (top to bottom vs bottom to top).  In 1 of the build orders, the fluid is 'teleported' the entire distance in 1 tic, but 1 level at a time the other way.  Do you remember which level you started on?  I think it's just the designations that determine the function, it doesn't matter which order dwarves then assemble them.

Superdorf:
Hrm... I went top-to-bottom generally, but I had two architects/masons working at once. Some pumps probably finished ahead of the one directly above them. Everything was designated in order though, far as I know

edit: I turned temperature off, and that lagged just as much... which suggests the pumping itself is the problem. Maybe construction order matters in addition to designation order?
Blech, I'll hafta rebuild all the pumps if so

Schmaven:
I've always designated pump stacks from highest to lowest / top to bottom, and haven't seen lag that extreme that you're experiencing, but I haven't built a pump stack in the premium version yet, so it's entirely possible something changed there.  I also use that 3 tile wide reservoir on each level.  Supposedly it helps minimize temperature calculations.

On the Wiki, it doesn't specify whether building top - down is just the designation, or if it's also the order in which they are built that is the determining factor.  But the difference between 1 z-level per tick, and the entire height of the stack per tick seems like a big enough difference to cause that sort of lag spike.  Unfortunately, the only way to really test that is a lot of work.  Especially without DFHack shortcuts like superdwarf.

Superdorf:
Ah, I'm still 47.05 to be clear.
I've filled up my magma reservoir to deal with the next siege, so whenever the goblins show up I'll clear the stack and do a rebuild. Thanks for helping troubleshoot!

edit: Just started tearing down pumps, and things are crumbling apart in small stacks, supported by the pumps immediately below. Construction order clearly matters, in addition to designation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version