Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump stack lag  (Read 2338 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Pump stack lag
« on: December 18, 2022, 02:34:07 am »

Finished up a 100 z-level pump stack today, using a design from this thread with 1x3 reservoirs... the system reliably drops my FPS from 80+ to 4 or lower.
I could swear I was able to get a reasonably speedy pump stack going on my old laptop, using this design. Did I do something wrong, or are pump stacks really just that laggy? :-\

Save
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Pump stack lag
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 02:44:56 am »

I remember pump stacks treating fluids differently depending on build order (top to bottom vs bottom to top).  In 1 of the build orders, the fluid is 'teleported' the entire distance in 1 tic, but 1 level at a time the other way.  Do you remember which level you started on?  I think it's just the designations that determine the function, it doesn't matter which order dwarves then assemble them.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 02:49:51 am »

Hrm... I went top-to-bottom generally, but I had two architects/masons working at once. Some pumps probably finished ahead of the one directly above them. Everything was designated in order though, far as I know

edit: I turned temperature off, and that lagged just as much... which suggests the pumping itself is the problem. Maybe construction order matters in addition to designation order?
Blech, I'll hafta rebuild all the pumps if so
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 03:05:46 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 09:35:49 am »

I've always designated pump stacks from highest to lowest / top to bottom, and haven't seen lag that extreme that you're experiencing, but I haven't built a pump stack in the premium version yet, so it's entirely possible something changed there.  I also use that 3 tile wide reservoir on each level.  Supposedly it helps minimize temperature calculations.

On the Wiki, it doesn't specify whether building top - down is just the designation, or if it's also the order in which they are built that is the determining factor.  But the difference between 1 z-level per tick, and the entire height of the stack per tick seems like a big enough difference to cause that sort of lag spike.  Unfortunately, the only way to really test that is a lot of work.  Especially without DFHack shortcuts like superdwarf.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 12:03:48 pm »

Ah, I'm still 47.05 to be clear.
I've filled up my magma reservoir to deal with the next siege, so whenever the goblins show up I'll clear the stack and do a rebuild. Thanks for helping troubleshoot!

edit: Just started tearing down pumps, and things are crumbling apart in small stacks, supported by the pumps immediately below. Construction order clearly matters, in addition to designation
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 02:42:51 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 03:45:38 am »

...I just rebuilt everything, one pump stack at a time, and it still tanked the FPS to 3 when I turned the monster on. I'm at my wit's end :-X

Only good news is, my reservoir makes it possible to at least magmify goblins at a reasonable speed

klonk
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 08:03:59 am »

It could be due to fluid flows on the outlet and magma waves in the magma sea.  If turning the stack off recovers FPS immediately, then it's the stack for sure, but if the FPS takes time to recover, I'd suspect the flow patterns.  In which case re-shaping the outlet, or even the magma sea, might be able to help.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »

FPS recovers the instant the gear assembly unlinks. Magma seems to be flowing instantaneously, it's just... crushingly slow.
Maybe the janky Ubuntu laptop I had was just better at running pump stacks? This machine's been running really well otherwise though

klonk
Sigtext

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 05:26:11 pm »

Magma seems to be flowing instantaneously,

It's a very CPU-extensive process, okay! It's not my fault!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 08:36:14 pm »

I'm not that familiar with other operating systems, but Windows lets you designate CPU priority to programs, and I set the DF .exe to top priority.  Maybe some setting like that is out of whack?

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 04:28:58 pm »

I have been having this same exact problem as this thread from a year ago.  I am using the same 1x3 design for lag-less pumps stacks, moving magma up about a hundred z-levels.  Having temperature on/off makes no difference for my FPS, which is good.  The bad news is that when the pumps are moving magma, I get <1 FPS in my otherwise smoothly running fort.

I'm hesitant to rebuild my pump stack because evidently this didn't help the OP.  I have tried running it on a different, older computer too and that had no effect.  In this same fort I've been able to drain the ocean into the magma sea while still getting more frames per second than I do when the magma pump is running!  I am at a loss for what to do: I need a lot of magma for this project.  Does anyone have any advice?

This is what it looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/bmpwGP8

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 03:11:24 pm »

I would do a tick-by-tick review of about 4 z-levels of the pump stack near the source. While I don't know how the build order of the pumps would effect the system, but suspect it will not matter if you intake 7/7 magma at the source at every intake. If you intake less than 7/7 magma at every intake, the whole pumpstack will have lag and "wave movement/magma redistribution" in those 1x3 reservoirs. I suspect the ideal powered pumpstack would have the lowest pump located 1 or 2 z-levels below the regenerating layer of the magma source, so that when 7/7 magma is moved, 7/7 magma immediately replaces it by falling down.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 05:22:08 pm »

This is really helpful.  I'll test this in a bit and see if it works.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 04:40:01 pm »

Has anyone else had this problem?  I was never able to solve it and it still happens for me on the Steam release.