Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change glyph option text  (Read 514 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Change glyph option text
« on: December 23, 2022, 04:23:12 pm »

Please change the "Use Classic ASCII glyphs" to something like "Use Classic text glyphs".

There's no need to further perpetuate the misconception that Dwarf Fortress (any version) uses ASCII.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 04:42:59 pm by Lightman »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: [Steam] Change glyph option text
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 01:39:56 am »

Maybe "character glyphs"? Text implies readable words.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 02:45:50 am »

Agree.

(But why label this "Steam"?)

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • More speed than sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 05:29:02 am »

Maybe the setting should instead be inverted and named to "Use Graphics", or something to that effect?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 01:04:09 pm »

Agree.

(But why label this "Steam"?)

Does the Classic version have the option? I put "Steam" because I assume only the Steam version has or needs this option.

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • More speed than sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 01:08:30 pm »

There is no difference between the Steam ver. and Classic aside from the inclusion of graphics and music in the Steam version.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 01:10:22 pm »

There is no difference between the Steam ver. and Classic aside from the inclusion of graphics and music in the Steam version.

Yes and this option applies specifically to that difference. Did you look to see if it has the option? I don't see it.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 01:16:22 pm »

Maybe "character glyphs"? Text implies readable words.

"Use Classic character glyphs" isn't bad but it might be confusing. I suggested "text" because then there's some relation to the original text mode that works with terminals / SSH.

Maybe the setting should instead be inverted and named to "Use Graphics", or something to that effect?

I think something like this is a good idea. It could be as simple as "Graphics mode: Enhanced / Classic "

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 03:52:37 pm »

Yes and this option applies specifically to that difference. Did you look to see if it has the option? I don't see it.
Yes, it's the last option on the Video tab for both the Premium and Classic versions of 50.04. Classic can use graphics, music, and sound (allegedly, I havn't tested it); it just doesn't come with those assets.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 04:43:18 pm »

Yes, it's the last option on the Video tab for both the Premium and Classic versions of 50.04. Classic can use graphics, music, and sound (allegedly, I havn't tested it); it just doesn't come with those assets.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've updated the subject.