Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I think "cut gem" jobs never produce large gems or gem crafts in 0.50.03  (Read 5963 times)

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think "cut gem" jobs never produce large gems or gem crafts in 0.50.03
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 12:36:10 pm »

v50.04, no mods; got an expert gem cutter in the migration. 6th gem was a masterwork large gem. Not sure what'll happen after another 200 gems, we'll see.

Edit: 2 more large gems in not much time. Seems about as likely as it was in v47.
The chances for the person who cut 126 in a row with no large gems is 0.16%. There has to be an explanation for why it seems so rare for some people but not others.

EDIT: Apparently, large gems are actually worth less than regular gems now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/100xet2/regular_cut_gems_have_had_their_price_buffed_but/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:21:24 pm by ArmokGoB »
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 04:14:46 pm »

I had no large gems until I found five black opals, which are my the most expensive gems to date. My level 3 gem cutter turned two of these into large gems (~300 value) instead of normal cut gems (~600 value). Quite underwhelming.

In total it was less than one hundred gems cut to get these two large gems, so they do definitely happen, but I'm not sure if the game is trolling me, or it happens to more expensive gems more often?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 04:44:39 pm »

I used a work order to cut 5 gems of a type and got a large gem morion, which was pretty typical compared to 47. DF, id cut a few others out of like say 15 sets, again pretty normal all from the work orders screen.

I deeply suspect the default cut-gem job might actually be bugged if you could run it forever with no large gems.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 04:58:35 pm »

Perhaps if you set it on repeat it only rolls the odds once?

Setting up jewelry industry, I have a legendary cutter/setter ready to do some testing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 06:05:12 pm »

Perhaps if you set it on repeat it only rolls the odds once?

Setting up jewelry industry, I have a legendary cutter/setter ready to do some testing.
Then wouldn't you get nothing but large gems if you set a repeated order to make gems and rolled a large gem?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 06:24:15 pm »

You would...

But nope, that's not it.  The very first batch I cut, I set a normal job to cut turquoises on repeat..... It gave me a masterpiece large gem from the 10 turqouises I had in total.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:33 pm »

You would...

But nope, that's not it.  The very first batch I cut, I set a normal job to cut turquoises on repeat..... It gave me a masterpiece large gem from the 10 turqouises I had in total.
Maybe they're only produced when a masterwork is rolled?

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 04:02:10 am »

I have an idea.

Check the personality of the dwarf that cuts the gems. Some dwarves have stuff like "tends to be sparing with their resources when working on projects" or "doesn't put in much effort" or similar.

I bet those dwarves would never produce a large gem, whereas other dwarves with "uses too much material" might.

Or it might be some other factor of their personality.

It could also be as suggested, where rolling large gems for the job is only done when the job is added. So instead of the default work order number of 10, set it to 1 instead so it rerolls each time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:05:09 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 06:12:00 am »

My Legendary jeweler / gem cutter that produced the large gem with his first 10 gems ever cut (he arrived as a migrant with legendary skills in both the gem jobs) has nothing in his traits / values / whatever that hints at large gems or sparing with rescources.
He did dream to create a masterwork though, and that was fulfilled by making the large gem

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 06:21:03 am »

Oops double post because of repeated error 504 while trying to post

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 06:54:20 am »

My Legendary jeweler / gem cutter that produced the large gem with his first 10 gems ever cut (he arrived as a migrant with legendary skills in both the gem jobs) has nothing in his traits / values / whatever that hints at large gems or sparing with rescources.
He did dream to create a masterwork though, and that was fulfilled by making the large gem

Its a bit cheap that that animal-traps can take large gems given how rare they are typically.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 10:46:03 am »

I just noticed he even made 2 large gems from those 10 turqouises.
The second one isn't a masterpiece, so I didn't give an alert.

But no, it's not just masterpieces.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2023, 02:29:01 pm »

I got a gem craft in my current fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 01:20:36 am »

Is it possible that they may be labeled as foreign for certain dwarven civs?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 11:21:29 am »

Update:

According to SeerSkye on the DFHack Discord, there's a bug where it's checking the assigned job material instead of the item material to determine if it's valid. You can only get large gems and crafts if you set the job material instead of doing a generic "cut gem" job.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3