Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released  (Read 21883 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 03:04:21 am »

Hmm. So besides the glitch in world generation where you can't see the biomes info while looking around the world, the rest of the menus seem to display OK when curses16x16 is set, including the worldmap embark biome info. So that's not too bad.

And I found that setting Curses as BASIC_FONT and Taffer as FULLFONT I can get through the initial menus OK.

So here's Taffer Fullfont.
Font is slightly cut off the bottom of the info boxes, which can't be helped right now.

As compared with curses 16x16.

Lovely.

-edit
Screws up when you switch to graphics mode though. Oh well.

(pic taken with BASIC_FONT and FULLFONT as curses16x16.)

(Switching to graphics mode when playing with the basic curses_640x300 works OK).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:13:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 04:29:52 am »

Sigh...

Sad to see the most important feature for this game gone. It feels like I fought in vain in the RogueLike community for several years, only to go back at the beginning.

The most important feature for a text RL: have the map use a different tile than text/interface. That's all.

It was finally possible with earlier DF versions and DF Hack + plugin TWBT (and added bonus of having multilayer rendering).

Now we're back at the very beginning. I can change the tileset, but it affects both map and text. This should have been figured out back in 2006, when we helped the game getting popular, talking on forums. There were tons of discussions about opening the source of the graphic layer, so that people could step in and improve it while Toady could continue working on the core game. This all lead to the support for TT fonts, despite as I said it would still requite TWBT in order to not have graphic tiles showing in the middle of text.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years we'll be able to load once again two different tile sizes.

The map is a map, UI needs to be readable. A good tileset for the map is a bad tileset for the text, and what's a good tileset for the text is a bad tileset for the map. We need the map being one layer, and UI a different one. This for example works fine in Cataclysm RL. WE DON'T NEED GRAPHIC. We just need stuff that can be read.

By the way:

Zooming the interface with the mouse wheel is currently disabled because some of the menus don't react well to being small in width.

This is a side effect of the thing done poorly: zoom function is useful for the map. Not for the UI. That's another reason why when you scale the map, the UI shouldn't be affected. The menus DON'T have to react well to the zooming, they should simply be unaffected by it. You draw the map layer, and then you draw the UI as another layer on top. The two have to be independent in their logic. Controls, settings, hotkeys that affect the UI shouldn't affect the map, same for the other way around. The two need to use separate logic, separate grids and separate rendering.

End of rant.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:27:20 am by Abalieno »
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 04:50:29 am »

Excellent release Toady, and I wish you a upcoming merry happy Christmas.

It's seasonal changes. Rather than showing a fixed sprite, the map is showing what the trees are at various times of the year. This is... kind of annoying, really. Even if it does look kinda cool.

Same camp, but its a small sacrifice to the detail.

After a hiatus i've been struggling to actually visually focus on the ascii tileset, especially in extremely forested embark starts (something about the lime green at the fixed resolution size is a bit eye burning) so once all the classic modders have found their feet to dispense good setup advice, ill just tone down the color shading. I do recommend trying everything.

Anybody found a use for black background BMP and whether you can put up custom menu splashscreens?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 05:57:30 am »

Ah yeah, I really do hope classic still has some development to go. Would be a bit upset to find that the entire new interface had been updated for ascii-style tilesets but the actual tileset functionality we've been hoping for for three years was going to be left to DfHack. Let's hope that's not the case.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2022, 07:36:58 am »

Thanks Toady and Zach!  Your continued attentiveness to the pleas of your fans is much appreciated  :)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2022, 08:57:25 am »

While i'm very lost regarding the interface (as a lot of keybinding have changed and i really miss the screen with the command list as it was more clear than the mini buttons on the bottom for me), i may eventually get used to it one day

But there's one thing i am not managing to do , it's to use my custom tileset

I'm using this square 12x12 tileset that worked great for me on all DF versions so far :
https://imgur.com/Vty62gC

But when i set it up in DF 50.04 i ran into problems :
- in the screen it does not seem square at all
- part of the tileset are truncated (see the dwarves especially)
- it seems everything is smaller than in past DF (probably related to the game not rendering it square as it should)

as a comparison
DF 47.05 :

DF 50.04 :

i found that if i disable (set to No) in the video '"Scale Interface to fit grid width/height" , the view does not seem smaller anymore, but it still feel not really square and again part of the tileset are still truncated (again see the dwarves) and also seems slightly more blurry than in 47.05

Any help ?
Additionally, is it possible to get rid of the "varied ground tiles" ? i liked the look of DF with it disabled as it made the game much more readable to me, but in 50.04 i can't find the setting anymore .

EDIT : found the solution, the problem was coming from
his font is used during the initial load sequence and menus.
[BASIC_FONT:curses_640x300.png]

That i had left as it was, thinking it was only impacting the actual menu, but when i changed it to a squard tileset too (make sure to use one that is the same size as your ingame tileset or you'll see some really ugly things ingame), it immediately fixed the display of my square tileset, as you can see the dwarves aren't truncated anymore.
But it also lead to the display being indeed smaller than in 47.05 (and none of the other video settings seems to change that)

Wonder if there's a solution to not have the display smaller than in 47.05 as it makes the text even less readable ingame :/
edit 2 : oh great now the buttons do not work in the UI , looks like there's more UI problems related to those tileset proportions than i thought.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:44:11 am by Robsoie »

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2022, 01:58:27 pm »

While i'm very lost regarding the interface (as a lot of keybinding have changed and i really miss the screen with the command list as it was more clear than the mini buttons on the bottom for me), i may eventually get used to it one day

But there's one thing i am not managing to do , it's to use my custom tileset

I'm using this square 12x12 tileset that worked great for me on all DF versions so far :
https://imgur.com/Vty62gC

But when i set it up in DF 50.04 i ran into problems :
- in the screen it does not seem square at all
- part of the tileset are truncated (see the dwarves especially)
- it seems everything is smaller than in past DF (probably related to the game not rendering it square as it should)

as a comparison
DF 47.05 :

DF 50.04 :

i found that if i disable (set to No) in the video '"Scale Interface to fit grid width/height" , the view does not seem smaller anymore, but it still feel not really square and again part of the tileset are still truncated (again see the dwarves) and also seems slightly more blurry than in 47.05

Any help ?
Additionally, is it possible to get rid of the "varied ground tiles" ? i liked the look of DF with it disabled as it made the game much more readable to me, but in 50.04 i can't find the setting anymore .

EDIT : found the solution, the problem was coming from
his font is used during the initial load sequence and menus.
[BASIC_FONT:curses_640x300.png]

That i had left as it was, thinking it was only impacting the actual menu, but when i changed it to a squard tileset too (make sure to use one that is the same size as your ingame tileset or you'll see some really ugly things ingame), it immediately fixed the display of my square tileset, as you can see the dwarves aren't truncated anymore.
But it also lead to the display being indeed smaller than in 47.05 (and none of the other video settings seems to change that)

Wonder if there's a solution to not have the display smaller than in 47.05 as it makes the text even less readable ingame :/
edit 2 : oh great now the buttons do not work in the UI , looks like there's more UI problems related to those tileset proportions than i thought.

This happened to me. I play mostly with my own 16x16 tileset.

The solution I found for now was play with only 10x10 or smaller tilesets (like AutoReiv tilesets). Works fine.
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2022, 02:40:40 pm »

Thanks for the hint, i didn't thought of trying smaller tilesets, in fact after having troubles with my 12x12 i was trying higher resolution of them but without noticing any improvement on those problems.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2022, 02:41:19 pm »

I guess I haven't been paying as close attention to the updates as I thought. Is the plan to have basically total interface parity with the steam version?

I'd been looking forward to the regular release since I didn't gel with the new controls, plus some of the interface omissions. I'd been expecting that the interface for the regular releases was going to stay the same, and that it would just have under the hood type improvements from the work on the steam version. I'd been looking forward to doing some adventure mode and keyboard controls along with friends who'd been playing for the first time on the steam version, so I am disappointed that the new "classic" version is the mouse only version, and not really classic after all.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Slapshot82

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2022, 03:50:09 pm »

I guess I haven't been paying as close attention to the updates as I thought. Is the plan to have basically total interface parity with the steam version?

This is indeed true, as I understand it. The only major difference between them is that the Premium version includes the graphics tile set and soundtrack.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2022, 05:32:21 pm »

I'd been looking forward to the regular release since I didn't gel with the new controls, plus some of the interface omissions. I'd been expecting that the interface for the regular releases was going to stay the same, and that it would just have under the hood type improvements from the work on the steam version. I'd been looking forward to doing some adventure mode and keyboard controls along with friends who'd been playing for the first time on the steam version, so I am disappointed that the new "classic" version is the mouse only version, and not really classic after all.
It's the same game, so yes. Toady's not gonna maintain two games at the same time. That would be a waste of time.

You can play an old version of the game, which is still available. Or the current version of the game which has the new interface added (as has been in the development plans for at least 10 years).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2022, 06:33:59 pm »

World screen is borked somewhat:
Only the News and rumors page seems to work OK. Other screens look like this:

The switch to brown is kind of in keeping with 47.05 but that large band of Xs shouldn't be there.
Unless it's informing me of potential save corruption areas. Hey, that's handy! :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2022, 07:31:20 pm »

Guess what's still missing in classic interface is known already, but just in case:
 - Setting bridges doesn't have a visual indicator when placing yet. (much like 50.01 graphical version).
 - Also don't seem to be able to make digging priority numbers appear on the map.

And, personal opinion, definitely need the hotkey visible on or by the ascii buttons (much like the mod for the graphical version). Lost a huge amount of comprehensibility there compared with the completely simple "menu with hotkeys" of 47.05 interface. Also, ditch the alert buttons (except maybe cancel spam) in favor of text ticker like previous versions (and announcement log of course). The alert buttons are even less noticeable now. Think we need this as an option in the graphical version anyhow.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2022, 10:33:10 pm »

Are saves compatible between the Steam and Classic versions?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2022, 10:43:22 pm »

Are saves compatible between the Steam and Classic versions?
Yes (for 50+ versions, saves from 0.47.05 and before aren't compatible with any 50+ version)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4