Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released  (Read 24216 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2022, 11:15:50 pm »

Are saves compatible between the Steam and Classic versions?
Its the same game, yes.
Some are confused and keep talking about 47.05 as "classic". Hopefully that's all over with now that the game is on simultaneous releases.
Buying the game at Steam or Itch.io gives you graphics and music (neither of which have anything to do with your save).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2022, 04:17:40 am »

World screen is borked somewhat:
Only the News and rumors page seems to work OK. Other screens look like this:
*image*
The switch to brown is kind of in keeping with 47.05 but that large band of Xs shouldn't be there.
Unless it's informing me of potential save corruption areas. Hey, that's handy! :)

There is a 'key' in 47.05 for highlighting which I assumed this was, but you can see the map in full color by selecting news & rumors. Only other thing about the world-screen is that its very if not completely impossible to see your own site/relevant selections due to the lack of the highlighting blue symbols having a "chunkyness" and not being employed when making selections of choosing a origin like on 47.05 (two side by side dwarf nations being indistinguishable on selection, especially important now it tells you about population counts) or recentering on your fort to know exactly where it is being too broad.

I don't think its entirely a huge issue or specific to the ascii derived tileset i was using before in 47.05, but i will explore if it can be adjusted to a more suitable outcome.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2022, 04:25:56 am »

World screen is borked somewhat:
Only the News and rumors page seems to work OK. Other screens look like this:
*image*
The switch to brown is kind of in keeping with 47.05 but that large band of Xs shouldn't be there.
Unless it's informing me of potential save corruption areas. Hey, that's handy! :)

There is a 'key' in 47.05 for highlighting which I assumed this was, but you can see the map in full color by selecting news & rumors. Only other thing about the world-screen is that its very if not completely impossible to see your own site/relevant selections due to the lack of the highlighting blue symbols having a "chunkyness" and not being employed when making selections of choosing a origin like on 47.05 (two side by side dwarf nations being indistinguishable on selection, especially important now it tells you about population counts) or recentering on your fort to know exactly where it is being too broad.

I don't think its entirely a huge issue or specific to the ascii derived tileset i was using before in 47.05, but i will explore if it can be adjusted to a more suitable outcome.
Can you not see the huge column of red X's on the left hand side of the screen? There is no equivalent in 47.05 or 50.04 graphical version. It's just buggy garbage on the screen.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2022, 04:59:47 am »

Can you not see the huge column of red X's on the left hand side of the screen? There is no equivalent in 47.05 or 50.04 graphical version. It's just buggy garbage on the screen.

Oh, i thought that was a army movement or something.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2022, 05:18:28 am »

Quote from: FantasticDorf nolink=topic=180922.msg8438717#msg8438717 date=1671875987

Oh, i thought that was a army movement or something.
No, I made sure to check the graphics and alternative tilesets. Just odd garbage. Is it just a one off? No-one else gets this?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2022, 09:49:31 am »

I really am surprised because "I'm really missing the old UI" is something i never thought having in mind.
But i find the (at least on "classic" as i imagine they're much better on the steam version) super small buttons on the bottom of the screen very unclear with their ascii style and much more unintuitive than the pre-steam panels with the lists.
Maybe i'm too used to the old style, after all been using this old interface since near 15 years
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:57:44 am by Robsoie »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2022, 08:02:48 am »

The solution I found for now was play with only 10x10 or smaller tilesets (like AutoReiv tilesets). Works fine.

An interesting thing regarding this is, that the PNG transparency/alpha whatever on the assets from the init file for ascii images comes through on the images into hitboxes. So 50.04 might be able to fit slightly more of a customized splashscreen.

Pictured is Dorten9x9, which originally in previous df versions, had the rubbly effect splashed all over the righthand menus.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2022, 11:13:55 am »

I'm really hoping adventure mode doesn't get Giant Desert Scorpion'd. Always worries me when a feature gets removed, and honestly I actually prefer adventure mode over fortress mode.

EDIT: Also uh...how do you even implement mods in this release now? The raw folder's gone. I see folders for vanilla content and installed mods, but something tells me overriding/editing existing content, especially things like updating material templates and body detail plans, will be harder now...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 11:16:20 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2022, 11:59:41 am »

I'm really hoping adventure mode doesn't get Giant Desert Scorpion'd. Always worries me when a feature gets removed, and honestly I actually prefer adventure mode over fortress mode.

EDIT: Also uh...how do you even implement mods in this release now? The raw folder's gone. I see folders for vanilla content and installed mods, but something tells me overriding/editing existing content, especially things like updating material templates and body detail plans, will be harder now...

Why would he announce a timeline for updating Adventure and a menu option for Adventurer followed by talking at length about all of the updated screens and such he needs to do as he updates Adventurer if he was intending on deleting it? You really think Toady is some big scam artist? What a random thing to say...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2022, 12:05:41 pm »

I get antsy about any case where something is removed with plans to readd it in the future. :<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2022, 12:14:00 pm »

I get antsy about any case where something is removed with plans to readd it in the future. :<
Giant desert scorpions are right here on the website. Download them put it in your game. Priority for reintroduction lower than nil.

Adventurer is getting a new interface. Rush it out because after all no-one plays adventurer, who cares what it looks like? Or take their time and actually produce a decent new interface for it, because actually a lot of us mainly play Adventurer. I know which one I prefer.

It hasn't been "removed". It just hasn't been made yet.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2022, 01:41:43 pm »

EDIT: Also uh...how do you even implement mods in this release now? The raw folder's gone. I see folders for vanilla content and installed mods, but something tells me overriding/editing existing content, especially things like updating material templates and body detail plans, will be harder now...[/color]
Toady posted a modding guide in the December 2 devlog: https://bay12games.com/dwarves/modding_guide.html

The wiki also has some information: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mod

Giant desert scorpions are right here on the website.
Which website? A link would be helpful.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2022, 02:34:47 pm »

I really am surprised because "I'm really missing the old UI" is something i never thought having in mind.
But i find the (at least on "classic" as i imagine they're much better on the steam version) super small buttons on the bottom of the screen very unclear with their ascii style and much more unintuitive than the pre-steam panels with the lists.
Maybe i'm too used to the old style, after all been using this old interface since near 15 years

You're not wrong. The old UI was better for the amount of information and submenus that DF has. And using keyboard is more efficient and precise. Is not only because of the 15 years playing DF. You exchanged some learning time for performance and precision for a lifetime. With mouse you exchange precision and performance for less controls and learning time. What is completely understandable, since the focus for now is money and gain the public for.

But stay calm: the fact that The Great introduce shortcuts is because he intend to maintain the based keyboard controls, as always has been. Lets give him some time.

Once upon a time, the [spacebar] had the nowadays [esc] function. What was somewhat weird for me when I discovered. So, changes in controls are expected, but the keyboard controls will be eternal.
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2022, 02:54:27 pm »

I not get antsy, but I share the feelings about something being removed from the game... like the amazing Giant Desert Scorpions.
When I think about it, I remember this scene below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2022, 04:38:03 pm »

It's hard not to worry when a feature gets removed, yeah. And I guess that'll give me a few updates to look into the modding guide, when I get time and energy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4