Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released  (Read 25184 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released
« on: December 22, 2022, 12:54:48 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Here's the first Classic release!  There's a lot left to do, but this version is playable and will give you an idea of where things are at.  Zooming the interface with the mouse wheel is currently disabled because some of the menus don't react well to being small in width.  We'll need to work through those - you can still use the settings to scale it up if you like.  A few other indicators need to come back, and some tiles are working a little oddly (brooks for example).  Also, because of how the graphical release is set up, we're currently stuck with one font size, which will impact some tile sets of course.  We're going to get through all of this (and more keyboard support as well of course).  But I wanted everybody to see what progress has been made and get a chance to try it out.  We should have simultaneous releases from now on, between Steam, itch, and here.

Release notes for 50.04 (December 22, 2022):

Graphics additions/changes
   (*) Can now swap back and forth from Classic tile mode (in video settings.)
   (*) Graphics for some picked outdoor plants.
   (*) Updated engraved walls.
   (*) Added some custom symbols.

Audio additions/changes
   (*) Added a music frequency option in the audio settings (default 3-5 minutes, can be set from 10 minutes to 10 seconds.)
   (*) Made outdoor ambiences alternate between being more active and a few neutral wind ambiences.
   (*) Made the wild ambience use some randomly spaced howls and giant footsteps.
   (*) Updated trade depot ambience.

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Ability to add/remove all civilians/soldiers from a burrow
   (*) Can advance the game one frame (default key = period)
   (*) Made assigning multiple squad positions continue to position 10 instead of stopping at 9
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.04 Released
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 02:04:58 pm »

Wonderful! Thanks to you and the whole team!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 02:45:12 pm »

For the first time since the eighties, ASCII graphics were added and the people rejoiced. Thanks for the release!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:55:47 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)
Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Ability to add/remove all civilians/soldiers from a burrow
Nice, I was really missing this feature. Congrats on the release! :)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 03:25:27 pm »

This will be a day long remembered.
We have seen the end of an era,
and soon we shall see the beginning of another.

Congratulations to this shining example of human cooperation; we've all made history a better class with this entry.
Now let us go forth with humility, gratitude and good fun!

Hail the creative inventors! Hail the dependable workers!
Hail Bay 12!
And never forget this is but one great anecdote that shows what we can accomplish if we [sentient beings] work together to do the seemingly neigh-impossible!
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 03:30:43 pm »

Thank you
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 05:49:46 pm »

Worldgen - This swamp is flashing repeatedly between purple and normal every year. But mouseover on pause shows the biome isn't changing at all (mostly Wilderness, and Calm towards the north) it's not having a good/evil identity crisis as far as I can tell. Does it mean anything? It's a bit weird.

--edit
Actually the whole map is pulsating all over the place. Don't think it used to do that. Interesting. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:54:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 06:07:26 pm »

Thank you very much for the new release !
And congratulations for all the deserved success.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 06:30:22 pm »

Worldgen - This swamp is flashing repeatedly between purple and normal every year. But mouseover on pause shows the biome isn't changing at all (mostly Wilderness, and Calm towards the north) it's not having a good/evil identity crisis as far as I can tell. Does it mean anything? It's a bit weird.

--edit
Actually the whole map is pulsating all over the place. Don't think it used to do that. Interesting. :)

It's seasonal changes. Rather than showing a fixed sprite, the map is showing what the trees are at various times of the year. This is... kind of annoying, really. Even if it does look kinda cool.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 06:42:23 pm »

--edit

It's seasonal changes. Rather than showing a fixed sprite, the map is showing what the trees are at various times of the year. This is... kind of annoying, really. Even if it does look kinda cool.
Ok. Purple is an odd choice though since it's used to indicate haunted regions usually. Oh well seasons then. Fine.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 09:46:26 pm »

if we [sentient beings] work together to do the seemingly neigh-impossible!

🐎 🐎 🐎
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 10:45:40 pm »

So simply swapping the tileset for a different one seems to cause a couple of issues.
curses_square_16x16 seems to work, but when viewing the world I created, I'm missing the biome information from the right side. I assume in-game info will also be cut off.
And throwing in Taffer 18x18, looks nice, but can't click on the buttons at the bottom of worldgen settings to start things moving. 9x9 works OK, but a bit too small for my monitor.

I guess this is what was meant by "impact some tilesets". Well, looking promising anyway.

Very nice to see what the dorfs are hauling again. :)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 10:57:16 pm »

Thank you, the trade depot ambience sound loop was absolutely maddening.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 10:57:31 pm »

Still waiting for adventure mode, but the new interface looks cool even in ASCII! Good work, cheers!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

comfyBruh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 11:21:35 pm »

I love the ascii update and of course tired it and my brain went looking for muscle memory of pre-steam things, but all of that has been addressed in the bay12 post- So thank you guys for not only showing the same progress as before this huge haul but for also like reading my mind and letting me know things will keep progressing, both ways, for everyone! There's nothing like this man. Enjoy the well deserved winter break.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4