Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 27 - Game Over, Town win  (Read 27818 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia 27 - Game Over, Town win
« on: December 28, 2022, 01:17:40 pm »

By popular request, it is time for a good old fashioned Paranormal Mafia!

Been a while since I ran one of these (ignoring the Bastard game), so no changes to the rules since last time.

Min 9 players by preference, although I can lower that if needed. Probably don't need to specify a max given current turnout numbers.

Signups will go through most of Tues 1/3. I'll close them that evening (pacific time) and get working on the role PMs. Game will start Wednesday morning.

Players
  • webadict
  • FallacyofUrist
  • ToonyMan
  • notquitethere - Doppelganger Medium
  • Maximum Spin
  • Knightwing64 - Human Medium
  • Vector - Doppelganger Agent
  • Jim Groovester
  • hector13
  • TricMagic - Human Observant Guard
  • EuchreJack

Backups:

For those of you not used to Paranormal, I suggest you read some of the old games to get a feel for it. And you can read through the rules discussion thread as well, which should answer a lot of questions on how it goes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:53:59 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [0/9+]
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 01:21:55 pm »

Here are the current rules:

Here is the (current) list of possible roles:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Definitions:
    Doppelganger: These foul creatures kill and eat humans, taking on all of their memories and abilities. Once they have a form, most doppelgangers cannot change again. They are a flawed species, and possess and uncontrollable blood lust forcing them to kill and eat humans each night. Their goal is to destroy all of the humans in the town and make their way out into the larger world.
    Night Kill: Any kill that happens during the Night Phase. The Doppelgangers each get 1 Night Kill as a group, in addition to any allowed by Roles.
    Morningkill: A morning kill happens between the night and day phase, and cannot be prevented by abilities that prevent night kills (Such as the Guardian). A Morning Kill will always look like it recently happened.
    Abduction: When a player abducts another player, two things happen. First, the abducted player is role-blocked for the night. Second, that player is removed from play for that night (and possibly the game). While removed, they cannot be the target of any other night action and cannot vote or be lynched during the day. Exceptions: The Paranoid War Vet and Sentry Gun are not role-blocked by an abduction, and will kill the player attempting the abduction. Abducted players are not role-flipped until their abductor leaves the game.

I've written a perl script to pick roles and whatnot randomly. It has some rules that it follows, but it should make for a nice amount of randomness to the set-up. Note that while I'll generally just go with whatever it spits out, I may make modifications to the set-up in order to make a more interesting game or to test out a specific feature. Also note that I will intentionally mess or not mess with stuff just to screw up anyone depending on the Gambler's Fallacy.

Note that the script NO LONGER restricts most roles to only one or two per side. Being able to use meta-game deduction to determine that someone must be town/scum breaks the game, so I've removed the aspects of the game that allow that.

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.

General Rules:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Feel free to ask for clarification on any rule.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:20:36 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [0/9+]
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 02:09:56 pm »

in

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [1/9+]
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 02:34:57 pm »

Never tried one of these before. In.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [1/9+]
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 02:38:15 pm »

I’ll decide closer to the time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [2/9+]
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 02:45:10 pm »

I'll join.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 03:09:55 pm »

It'd be a sin to miss!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 03:33:10 pm »

in

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [5/9+]
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 07:16:09 pm »

IN for the winnnn

I’m watching you Max. No funny moves buddy.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 07:19:30 pm »

Wait, so doppelgängers have the abilities of the role they are faking as well as the doppelgänger racial abilities?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 08:01:59 pm »

Wait, so doppelgängers have the abilities of the role they are faking as well as the doppelgänger racial abilities?

Not quite. The only 'racial' ability dopps all have is basically the Mafia kill. There are some doppelgänger specific roles they can get, or they can have a role that humans could also have. They're not faking the role in that case, they legitimately have it. But you won't get, say, a Tough/Reporter dopp or anything like that.

Flavor-wise they take over the knowledge, skills, memory, and form of the person they consume first. But from a mechanical standpoint a dopp is just mafia.
Come play Mafia with us!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [6/9+]
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 12:27:19 am »

In!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [7/9+]
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:28 am »

In.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [7/9+]
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 09:29:36 am »

PTW, have to see how things look next week.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - SIGNUPS [8/9+]
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 02:14:11 pm »

Happy new year, everyone!

Could still use one or more people to fill out the roster, but if needed we can run with 8.

How soon would folks like to start?
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41