Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117]

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 133108 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1740 on: November 11, 2020, 07:36:22 pm »

As for boosting the power of Doppelgangers in small Towns, I think Doppelganger specific Modifiers would be a way to go. They're really missing a bit of passive power to their roles when they kill. Something that's one-shot is gonna give them more power without breaking the game too hard. Like, for instance, giving the better Active role a one-shot Kill Immune gives incentive for the Doppelganger to kill, as opposed to just giving it to the weakest power role. Heck, giving each of them something different that makes them something more powerful than a normal Townie might be better. Two Dopps with these powers can fight stronger Towns, so coming across a strong Power role wouldn't be out of place in those cases.

This would mean coming up with some, but fear not, as I have ideas. For balance and player reasons, I think telling the Doppelganger when these are used is for the best, and purposefully not using them should also be a choice:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 11, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »

Hmm, interesting ideas, web.

I have mafia idea. First though, how long do you need to setup Mephansteras? I'm willing and able to wait.

Also night yall.

Depends on what you mean by 'how long I need'. If you mean whip up another Paranormal, pretty quickly if we've got a full roster of people who want to play again. I could even whip up this particular bastard game pretty quickly, since I've been thinking about this idea for a while now. Probably a few days in sign-ups to try and get more players and then a day or two for me to do all the role work and flavor.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:41:28 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 11, 2020, 09:03:49 pm »

Probably go ahead with that then. I wanted to run an Among Us flavored game.

Depending on number of players, how many PR there are would differ.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:08:30 pm by TricMagic »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 12, 2020, 04:48:56 am »

As for boosting the power of Doppelgangers in small Towns, I think Doppelganger specific Modifiers would be a way to go. They're really missing a bit of passive power to their roles when they kill. Something that's one-shot is gonna give them more power without breaking the game too hard. Like, for instance, giving the better Active role a one-shot Kill Immune gives incentive for the Doppelganger to kill, as opposed to just giving it to the weakest power role. Heck, giving each of them something different that makes them something more powerful than a normal Townie might be better. Two Dopps with these powers can fight stronger Towns, so coming across a strong Power role wouldn't be out of place in those cases.

This would mean coming up with some, but fear not, as I have ideas. For balance and player reasons, I think telling the Doppelganger when these are used is for the best, and purposefully not using them should also be a choice:

I like it, and totally fitting in with the 'doppelganger' flavour :) right now it seems like aliens get a lot more lore-specific powers than dopps.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1744 on: November 12, 2020, 01:44:38 pm »

Quote from: Bastard Paranormal 1
1) You CANNOT trust the flavor to tell you what is going on. It may be accurate, or it may be deliberately misleading.

That seems a good balance. And if it is just the flavor then it smacks of fair AND entertaining.

(So long as there is this disclaimer!)
I feel though even for regular games, would you really need to label the whole game as bastard, if you just had this and its' disclaimer? No opinion on being pro bastard or pro standard for the next Paranormal I join, but even my experience in the current session could probably benefit from this. The fact that the dog was female and I didn't know it gave Web something extra to claim for Tric. It was perhaps not contradictory to what I was told, but it was random, and extra, for a similar action.

And I'm all for it.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1745 on: November 12, 2020, 01:57:18 pm »

Glad you enjoyed the writing!

Medium is a bit tricky in some ways. It is reliant on luck (the medium living long enough to have two with useful power roles die and have info to give) and on the skill of the medium. A scum medium can really put words into the mouths of dead townsfolk if they're good, and that can add a lot of weight to what they say. So I'm a bit torn on the whole 'quoting the dead' thing. It's strong if everyone is sure the words are from the dead person, but strong both in favor of town or scum depending on who the medium is.

An early medium claim with powerful pro-town info like that is pretty rare. I'd say this is probably one of the most influential cases of a medium I've seen in a game. Heightened by the small number of players, really.

If Paranormals keep getting such small numbers of players I may need to rethink the weights on some stuff. It was really all built back when getting 12 or more players was the norm, and that has a huge impact on how much any given power role really has on the game. Plus the loss of any one player (town or scum) has less of an impact in a larger game.

However, the ban on quoting flavor like the dog is probably wise. I don't think I usually see people use it like that, which is surprising because I'm sure I've had various flavor tidbits between night actions before that could be used. Maybe I used to just limit those to death scenes where it mattered less?

Gosh, I sure hope you keep cross flavor, and just balance for it. Gosh, I sure hope you keep cross flavor, and don't break the toy because it's tricky. Extremely immersive, cross flavor is.

Edit: Just provide a lot of chances for differences in perspectives to make it unreliable. Like the dog gender.
Awesome With Autism

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 12, 2020, 04:15:38 pm »

Bastard Paranormal 3 is up in sign-ups for anyone who wants to join in one that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: December 28, 2022, 01:22:39 pm »

Paranormal Mafia 27 is now in sign-ups for anyone interested!
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 03, 2023, 08:07:15 pm »

But you won't get, say, a Tough/Reporter dopp or anything like that.
Another idea to add:  Dreipelganger.  A Doppelganger made from consuming two (or more) humans, gaining multiple or combined roles (Say, an Agent/Detective that performs an investigation of both Race and Role.)

Some more to put on the Doppelganger plate from my previous list:

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117]