Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need water bucket but I keep making water bucket non-stop  (Read 1265 times)

Lordoomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need water bucket but I keep making water bucket non-stop
« on: December 29, 2022, 10:50:41 pm »

What are they doing with my buckets? I have plenty storage space too and I have 2 master carpenters making water buckets non-stop but I always get this cancelled giving water need empty bucket, anyone got any idea of how to have dwarves not break or loose water bucket each time they use one?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:12:14 am by Lordoomer »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Need water bucket but I keep making water bucket non-stop
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 11:06:54 pm »

You ask "What are they doing with my buckets?, but you are the only one with access to your Stocks screen to find where those buckets are and what's in them... :p
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:23:30 am »

They're probably tagged for hauling to a stockpile or hospital.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:56:48 am »

or sitting around half full in the hospital.

Lordoomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »

So they won't use water buckets in the stockpile? Where do I have to put the empty buckets then if I want them to use them for water?

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 05:55:50 pm »

They need to be kept in the hospital in a chest or coffer (or maybe a cabinet). Also, they need to be empty. If a bucket gets filled with water and then ends up not getting used for whatever reason, it's still full of water and, paradoxically, can't be used to go get more water for the hospitalized dorf. I think there used to be a mod that let you process full buckets into empty ones at the kitchen or somewhere else. I believe it was a custom reaction.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 10:07:42 pm »

If you don't have the mod, it is possible to sell half-full used buckets, complete with their contents, although obviously not the wooden ones to the elves.

Interestingly, I had endless injured dorfs stuck in hospital for years in some cases (traction bench was installed incorrectly, took me a while to figure it out) and yet never had a bucket problem, so it depends on the fort in some cases.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 11:54:01 pm »

They need to be kept in the hospital in a chest or coffer (or maybe a cabinet). Also, they need to be empty. If a bucket gets filled with water and then ends up not getting used for whatever reason, it's still full of water and, paradoxically, can't be used to go get more water for the hospitalized dorf. I think there used to be a mod that let you process full buckets into empty ones at the kitchen or somewhere else. I believe it was a custom reaction.

That’d be Modest Mod.  I use it with 0.47.05 (although, I must admit I’ve never tried to empty buckets with it).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 08:03:40 pm »

If you don't have the mod, it is possible to sell half-full used buckets, complete with their contents, although obviously not the wooden ones to the elves.

You don't have to sell them. Just set the bucket to be hauled to the depot with the water inside forbidden and it'll disappear as soon they pick up the bucket.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:05:11 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 09:14:49 am »

Couldn't you alsi mark the water for dumping? Long ago, maybe I'm wrong.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 02:28:47 pm »

Not anymore. Doesn't work by dumping the bucket either.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Drakonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 01:18:25 pm »

Would assigning a pit zone to be filled nearby solve this?
Maybe setting a warer collection zone overlapping the hospital?

Can't try this bc my map is dry rn...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 08:07:12 am »

Would assigning a pit zone to be filled nearby solve this?

Pretty sure they'll ignore non-empty buckets and try to fill an empty one for the task.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 04:11:48 pm »

You can dump solids, but not liquids.
In a freezing environment, you can dump ice globs out of buckets, but not water globs.

Weirdly, you can cook with Frozen Milk as a solid ingredient, though barrels of frozen milk don't go to any stockpile.
But if the milk thaws in the kitchen while your chef is seeking the next ingredient, then the milk glob item is now a liquid and won't be handled by your dwarves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."