Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Dragons  (Read 960 times)

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile
Modding Dragons
« on: December 30, 2022, 02:42:44 pm »

Hello,

I have this world gen param in DF 47.05 that I've been working on for a while. One gameplay aspect I wish to add to my genereated worlds is more Cave Dragons and 'regular' dragons. I have noticed Cave Dragons are relatively rare and running world gen at enough length to allow for some 'regular' dragons to reach maximum size or close to it often causes what few cave dragons which gen'd with the world to die during world gen.

I want my tweaked large scale continent gen to be dominated by types of dragons. Maybe 75% Dragons and 50% cave dragons or somewhere around those %'s in terms of relative beasts/location.

I'd also like to add a few intelligence aspects to dragons if anyone has experience with this or can recommend mods or pages maybe I missed please do.

Thanks  :)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Dragons
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:19:29 pm »

When the game generates creature populations for each region tile it draws from the pool of suitable creatures. When it draws cave dragons you'll get 2-5 in that tile. Not all suitable tiles will get them. These are the pools drawn from when spawning creatures on the borders of your fort.

You can increase the number in each tile by editing [POPULATION_NUMBER:2:5].
You force the game to put them in every suitable tile by giving them [UBIQUITOUS].
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 07:16:35 pm »

When the game generates creature populations for each region tile it draws from the pool of suitable creatures. When it draws cave dragons you'll get 2-5 in that tile. Not all suitable tiles will get them. These are the pools drawn from when spawning creatures on the borders of your fort.

You force the game to put them in every suitable tile by giving them [UBIQUITOUS].

Sorry I meant just in world Gen in particular. I added the trainable and child tags to cave dragons and dragons. However, [UBIQUITOUS] didnt seem to generate any more or less cave dragons. I just gen'd a massive 1500+ yr world and there was only one cave dragon ever in the world.

Cave dragons seem to be 'born' in later years of world gen as legends viewer utility would have me believe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 07:36:56 pm »

Sorry I meant just in world Gen in particular. I added the trainable and child tags to cave dragons and dragons. However, [UBIQUITOUS] didnt seem to generate any more or less cave dragons. I just gen'd a massive 1500+ yr world and there was only one cave dragon ever in the world.

Cave dragons seem to be 'born' in later years of world gen as legends viewer utility would have me believe.
You may be just looking at the historical figures (cave dragons that killed or were killed by other historical figures or who went on rampages.)
The actual cave dragon population is probably quite a bit higher.

(For example, just whipped up a quick 90 year old world and the actual cave dragon population is 51246).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 07:38:44 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 08:59:30 pm »

You may be just looking at the historical figures (cave dragons that killed or were killed by other historical figures or who went on rampages.)

(For example, just whipped up a quick 90 year old world and the actual cave dragon population is 51246).

Sorry if this is obvious but how can I see what the actual population is?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 09:22:55 pm »

Sorry if this is obvious but how can I see what the actual population is?
When you export from Legends, you'll find a file "region1-00096-01-01-world_sites_and_pops.txt" (or whatever your save is called).
It's all in there. I think Legends Viewer can bring up the populations too? I forget how. This file gives you a good overview of your world nice and quickly though.

--edit
Yeah, in Legends Viewer on the summary page scroll on down past the historical figure population figures and at the bottom you'll find "Underground Populations". Cave Dragons are in there. They're not like Megabeasts (like regular dragons) which are (I think) all historical figures.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 09:40:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 10:21:56 pm »

Yeah, in Legends Viewer on the summary page scroll on down past the historical figure population figures and at the bottom you'll find "Underground Populations". Cave Dragons are in there. They're not like Megabeasts (like regular dragons) which are (I think) all historical figures.

Nice, ok so it does work. I compared another similar world gen and it would seem the [Ubiquitous] tag tripled the cave wyrm population

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 10:24:39 pm »

Such a useful feature, which is why the lack of it in 50.0x is really, really annoying when you're interested in a mod's effects on worldgen.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 05:07:29 pm »

From Another thread:

I want my tweaked large scale continent gen to be dominated by types of dragons. Maybe 75% Dragons and 50% cave dragons or somewhere around those %'s in terms of relative beasts/location.
One would set the dragons to [FREQUENCY:100] and to appear in every type of biome. And set other animal frequencies to lower. (dragon:100, lynx:1, wolf:1, parrot:1, emu:1, frog:1 etc... total sum of freq = 200 ish)

Get a good code editor (Notepad++, Crimson Editor, Emerald Editor) and start editing your game's raws...
(find string in all files: FREQUENCY)
Cannot change the dragon stuff in worldgen-init-file.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 05:40:36 pm »

Here are my modded Raws I'm using so far. In game testing I saw two Wyverns flying together around my embark briefly before leaving. Wyverns sometimes become deitys for civs. The base dragon template and cave wyrm I modified myself. the wyvern is modified from Enemy Post Assorted Creature Pack. There are many other creatures in EPACP pack I'm playing around with as well as some other modded dragon type creatures from elsewhere. The creatures are balanced in various aspects as size, cluster size, combat ability, breeding time, etc...

Dragon

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wyvern

Cave Wyrm

I'm playing this with the modular primal mod for prehistoric creatures in game as well as default one. I had the idea to put together a complete draconic fauna mod pack/animal husbandry drop in replacement mod?
still havent played much with intelligence aspects of some dragon.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:47:58 pm by tnuhnivad »